Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a 2013 and where I live there is a lot of sand/rocks and bugs. Used to have a bug deflector on my 2002 Ford and it worked well. Didnt put one on my 2012 Tacoma that I owned for 15 months and didnt notice any chips on the hood.

Is it worthwhile to install one on the 2013? If so, any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I've seen a few that had them and it looked good, I've also seen a few that looked pretty bad. Whether they work or not I have no idea.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Where I live, one in about three trucks has one. We have so many bugs so that we have a very high concentration of bats that feed on them. Occasionally we get one of these bats flying inside the house.

I visited San Diego area a few years ago and I don't think I've seen single truck with one of these on. No surprise there.

I would not put one on for looks, somewhat like a tonneau cover. I happen to prefer the looks without them. I put both of these on for functional reasons. Don't get it if you don't need it. Get one if you do.

Reactions: 65aircooled

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a clear one that you barely notice. I saw a big reduction in the bugs after installation. Seems to help to avoid the rocks also.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I've found them invaluable for when your truck ages and the clearcoat thins out. After a certain point, rock chips will easily take the paint off your hood. Since I installed one two years back on my 2002, 90% of the new rock chips over the last two years are on the panel just below the bug deflector.

I will say I haven't seen a good looking one for the 2nd Gen Tundra yet though, but I haven't looked around. My AVS looks great on the Gen 1. Avoid any that clip to the hood as the paint will wear under the clips from constant rubbing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like mine for the same reason- rocks. I looked around a lot and thought the ERG "fit" the best... Some of them just look like its "one size fits all."

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
An AVS Aeroskin might not be too bad on a dark color truck. I don't know if it will keep many bugs off, but it will protect the front edge of the hood.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Go with the clear bra skin thing. Helps protect the paint from the rocks in colorado. We dont have bugs here so i dont know about that part.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Reactions: Casper 07

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,424 Posts
:D
'had one on the previous. During snowfall at certain speeds, the windshield wipers are not needed. Deflects small bugs. Cicadas and small airplanes... no effect.

Cosmetic:
Better than that CarBra thing from the 80's... :eek:

Reactions: TAMUTUNDRA

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go with the clear bra skin thing. Helps protect the paint from the rocks in colorado. We dont have bugs here so i dont know about that part.
they make a bra for our trucks? I have never seen one? I would get one to help fight against the love bugs here in south Louisiana

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the clear 3m too. Both definitely help here in Alberta!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
as far as bug shields, I'm not convinced they work. have one on the wife's van and get just as many bugs on the windshield as other cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey, I am an old man, so wha' do I care? I don't have one, but, believe me, if you drive around here, you WILL get your windshield broken by rocks! Three on our Camry, six on my two trucks, and you hardly see a vehicle without cracked windshields. They have to be replaced at annual inspection, but, if I knew those reflectors things really work, hey, old man schmold man, I'd get one!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
they make a bra for our trucks? I have never seen one? I would get one to help fight against the love bugs here in south Louisiana
I dont know about the pleather ones i was talking about the 3m film. But that with the film on uour headlights would help. When i lived in florida thats what i used on my jeeps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
call me old, thats ok, I like mine, windshield clear, not so sure, but here in Florida keeps the Love Bugs off the paint on the hood, dang things come out twice a year, and if left on paint, & not cleand off soon, eats right through the paint,,,,,,,,so yep on a bug shield, besides the black goes with theme,,,,lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts