Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Browsing Music on USB Thumb Drive

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Canadian_Chicklette 
#1 ·
Also posted in audio visual

Maybe I am expecting too much or perhaps I am just too dumb to figure it out, but I am trying to figure out how to get my radio to display the artists that I have on my thumb drive so that I can quickly scroll through to find the one I want to listen to. I have the first upgrade radio with USB input that allows MP3, WMA playback capability. My music is arranged in a folder file/structure as follows:

Artist
--Album1
----Song1
----Song2
--Album2
----Song1
----Song2
Artist2
--Album1
----Song1
----Song2

When I push the folder button I get a single line that I must scroll through each and every Artist/Album or song depending on which is selected. Is there a way to make this look similar to the ipod interface or display multiple things at once?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
It reads the file fine and it plays music. The issue is simply that given the file structure above (which is normal), I can't seem to see a lot of things at once. So if I am trying to get to an artist that starts with 'M', I have to scroll one at a time through all of the artists and it is time consuming and potentially dangerous as I have to reach across the truck to use the folder button.

#4 ·
I'm having the same issues. I have a 32 gig thumb drive with a good bit on it. I was wondering if there was a better way to cycle through folders besides hitting the button. It would be cool if I could use the rotary knob that changes songs to cycle through artists or even albums.

Where I am right now I have to hit the folder button and if I want to listen to a album way down the line it takes forever.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 ·
This may help you out some but it's not the correct answer to your question. If you have steering wheel controls for your radio, press and hold either the up or down arrow a few seconds and you'll hear it beep. Whenever the beep occurs, it's changing albums. If you just press them quickly, it'll only change the songs in the current album you're listening to.

I have a 500gb hard drive with at least 100 folders(one for each artist) and this works great for me. I've also simplified my folders and basically have one album folder for each artist with all of their greatest hits in there. I did have it structured like TicToc but it just took twice as long to get to the songs.

I'll eventually get a GPS/Navigation/Media type radio so I can select the artist I want to listen to but until then, this is what works for me.

#7 ·
One more thing. IF you delete any songs off of your flash drive or hard drive while they're conneced to your computer, be sure you go to your computers recycle bin and empty it before you eject your hard drive or flash drive. If you don't, they will remain on either of those drives and display a "recycle.bin" blah blah blah on your radio display and it will try to play those deleted songs.

Also you may have to rename your folders (I shortened the Artist name and name of the songs) and mine display everything ok now.

#9 ·
With my stereo, pressing the "Text" button cycles through either displaying only the song name or both the song name and the group. If you have done that and still only see the song name then plug your USB stick into a computer and check out the properties for one of the mp3 files and see if the artist is properly listed in the tag info, if it is not then that is your issue.

#10 ·
For each folder, you'll have to long press the button until you hear the beep then it'll go to the next folder

#11 ·
I guess it is just a bad user interface. I would expect it to act more like the ipod interface where you can see several high level folders and scroll down easily using the tuning knob. On a large thumb drive it is a lot of presses to get to where you want to go. Good thing I have free XM for another 2 months! I get some time to figure something out.

#12 ·
An easier solution, which I had to do for a friend who has a 2013 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crewmax, was to format his USB drive to FAT32, then select each song from within its home folder and drag it to the destination USB stick. I selected ONLY the .mp3 file itself, which means that you can QUICKLY scroll through the songs individually, they just won't be sorted by album; just alphabetically by song name or potentially by the artist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.