Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I picked up a 2013 Toyota Tundra TRD CrewMax a couple of weeks ago. The truck only has 1500 miles. I've been trying to drive it locally in stop and go traffic for proper break in, but it's very difficult since all my commuting is on the highway (most of the 1500 miles already on it is highway miles). I'm afraid that I'm not breaking in the truck in the proper way and this Sunday we have a family trip planned to NC (about 600 miles each way). Do you think its a good idea to take the truck? or should I just take the wives minivan and try to put more stop and go miles on the truck to break in properly? Dealer says there no break in period as long as I don't drive it to Florida right away, but I'm basically driving half way to Florida :)

I also have an appointment to have the first oil change today to get rid of any shavings that might have accumulated, do you think that's necessary?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
90% of the break in occurs in the first few hundred miles. Don't sweat it, take the trip.

I doubt the oil change is necessary but I usually change my new vehicles oil in the first few thousand miles also. Change it if it makes you feel better but then do the next one like the first one never happened (meaning at the first toyota recommended change in mileage. I'd go to blackstone oil labs and get a sample kit for the second oil change to start building a history. Don't worry about analyzing the first change.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
oh and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations, klap! I need to say it: you ain't got nary truck. Know why?

:nopics:

·
Banned
513 Posts
Just let er rip, going easy on the engine won't break it in. Do full accelerations and then let it coast, this forces the rings to set firmly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Some people very much believe in early oil changes. I'm ambivalent. The number of vehicles that go past 200k today without an issue that could be traced to oil is, well, almost all of them. Maybe early changes would help out past the 300k mark but it's not the only thing you'd have to do to make it there--and, even today, not that many are driving anything that long.

Drive it as you normally would. Cruise is probably fine but if it was me I'd avoid it until 3 or 4 or 5kmiles. Get on it once in a while on this trip, as the extra heat and loading does help with ring sealing. Check the oil every so often, like once/day. And forget about it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can still vary your rpms while cruising down the highway. Shift between 6th and 5th every so often, and maybe 4th for a little bit.

Today's engines are much more forgiving compared to those from yesteryear. Here's an article from MotorTrend on engine break-in Car & Engine Performance - Technologue Editorial - Motor Trend

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I picked up a 2013 Toyota Tundra TRD CrewMax a couple of weeks ago. The truck only has 1500 miles. I've been trying to drive it locally in stop and go traffic for proper break in, but it's very difficult since all my commuting is on the highway (most of the 1500 miles already on it is highway miles). I'm afraid that I'm not breaking in the truck in the proper way and this Sunday we have a family trip planned to NC (about 600 miles each way). Do you think its a good idea to take the truck? or should I just take the wives minivan and try to put more stop and go miles on the truck to break in properly? Dealer says there no break in period as long as I don't drive it to Florida right away, but I'm basically driving half way to Florida :)

I also have an appointment to have the first oil change today to get rid of any shavings that might have accumulated, do you think that's necessary?

Thanks...
Like one of the post above said, these new vehicles are not like how they use to be. Imo with 1500 miles your truck is broke in & according to the manual there isn't a real break in period , I have an 07 with 196k miles and my first 1k miles were done on the highway with the bed loaded using the manual shifting. The only thing I seen recommended in the manual which I did was not to keep it at one speed for a long time, so no cruise control. But I drove it hard and soft during the first 1k miles and my truck still runs great

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts
relax, your truck was broken in like a thousand miles ago. have fun

Reactions: Big Shasta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

NWTUNDRA, that's a great idea about using the manual shift.

SUPTON, you're right, I never had any issues with engines in any of my cars and I drive them to 150K+ miles. It's everything else that starts breaking.

So I took the truck in last night for it's first oil change. The mechanic said "it's not necessary but if it was my truck I would do the same thing" which made me feel better. He also said that there is no break in period and I should be fine going to to NC. I'm going to follow the rest of the service's as BIG SHASTA recommended.... as if this first oil change never happened.

Thanks all for your welcomes and your replies. I'll post some pics asap.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
My truck was broken in on a 700 mile road trip the day after I drove it off the dealership lot. Me and the wife switched off. For the first few hundred miles we kept it to between 55 and 65 and varied the speed periodically. For the second half we let er rip. At one point I woke up in the passenger seat and she was doing about 90 cursing out some dude in a CTS who was putzing along in the left lane in front of us without any particular sense of urgency. I remarked at how remarkably solid the thing felt at that speed, said a brief prayer, and closed my eyes again. 4 years later there is no ill effect and it still runs like it did that first day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts