Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Coasting to a stop or downshifting instead of brakes saves wear and tear on brakes. You won't ever get a warped rotor that way too. What you are doing is part of an advance driving technique. That's how you save gas and wear and tear.

Unless you don't rpm match when you downshift, most people I see that downshift seriously abuse there clutch because they are unaware. I always tell them, "remember, Brakes are cheaper than a new clutch"

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
830 Posts
I burp the motor on downshifting. I probably do less damage to the clutch than when my wife drives her car--she manages to make it rev up when upshifting. I always cringe when I ride with her, but when she got rid of her Civic at 173k it still had the original clutch. I also don't downshift through all the gears, I usually will drop from 4th or 4th down to 3rd, only occasionally coasting in 2nd. As pointed out, brakes are relatively cheap & easy to replace. But the mpg boost is pretty real too.

My VW has has good ole VW engineering. Only VW could design a flywheel that could fail... Mine gave indication of failure, and I stuck around the shop when the clutch was replaced. All parts looked mint, not even half worn, after 249kmiles. But I had made the decision to get a stronger clutch, in anticipation of future mods (which came much sooner than planned, when the turbo failed at 251k, ouch), otherwise the mechanic would have just replaced the flywheel and put it back together--I could have gone that route, but it seemed wiser to replace everything, since labor was half the cost of the job.

I'm going to have to try forcing the Tundra to downshift on stopping again, for said coasting trick. When I first bought it, I was doing that, but was getting horrible mpg's, IMO. First three tanks were 16.8 on my highway commute, that was doing 65mph on the highway max and not going over 2k, etc. I put a few tanks through it, to make sure no problems, then started driving it just around town, where it then did 18.9 and a couple of 20.7's. Huh? Warm weather, summer gas, beats me. Maybe it really hates cold weather, I dunno.

Reactions: AKtrd
41 - 43 of 43 Posts