Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having brake issues for awhile, mostly with a soft pedal, which has almost gone away with replacing just about everything. Pedal still goes down halfway though. Last work I had was Midas said the rear left caliper was sticking. They replaced that caliper and new rotors and pads on all 4 wheels and cleaned the other calipers. All 4 rotors were the same temp for a week after that.

Now I have an issue where the rear brakes are extremely hot. After normal braking they are about 350F+ and the fronts are around 230F. One time after driving in the hills the left rear was almost 500F, right rear was 300F, fronts were around 250F. Just driving to work the rears are always 50F-100F hotter than the front. Sometimes only the left rear, sometimes both rear are just as hot.

I checked the diff, and it was 140F at the drain plug. Wheel bearings don't seem hot either. No noise except for a really loud squeal when the rear brakes get hot.

What should I check first? Is there a chance the fronts aren't working correctly making the rear do all the work and overheat, also making the pedal go down too far ? Does the ABS act as a proportioning valve and might be bad?

I have an LSD and it happens when driving carefully too, so i don't think the traction control is kicking in. I'm taking the temp with an infrared thermometer pointed at the rotor next to the caliper. I think the temps are accurate cause the fronts ones seem normal.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
There's a possibility that the axle bearings are failing, and the rotors are walking side to side putting pressure on the pads.

There was a tsb on the axle bearings. The parking brake hat would contact the dust shield.

A lot of people just banged the dust shield out of the way, or shaved the parking brake hat down. But that doesn't really address the actual issue.

Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, I had the issue with the rear backing plates last summer and had the rear bearings replaced according to that TSB. I only noticed the overheating recently and don't think it's been happening since last summer. I was thinking its still something with the brakes because of the low pedal problem.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm curious what you think the temps should be?

I'd say 500 is unacceptable. 200 to 300 or slightly more is reasonable depending on what type of pads you're running. Some run much hotter than others......

The difference between the front and back is odd but it sounds like to me they didn't fix the caliper they claimed they fixed. Did they give you the old caliper?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what the temps should be, but I figured they should be close between the front and back. I read the back has smaller rotors so they will get hotter, but I also thought the front was supposed to do most of the braking.

I supplied the caliper to Midas and they did give the old one back. Stopped by Toyota today and they said the ABS does also act as a proportioning valve, but said they have seen Midas use wrong parts before and think that could cause it. They want me to drop it off for them to look at it, but I can see them saying I need to replace the Midas rotors and pads with OEM ones.

Is there a way to test the braking pressure between front and back to see if it's uneven? Or for each wheel to see if it's another bad caliper?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not sure what the temps should be, but I figured they should be close between the front and back. I read the back has smaller rotors so they will get hotter, but I also thought the front was supposed to do most of the braking.

I supplied the caliper to Midas and they did give the old one back. Stopped by Toyota today and they said the ABS does also act as a proportioning valve, but said they have seen Midas use wrong parts before and think that could cause it. They want me to drop it off for them to look at it, but I can see them saying I need to replace the Midas rotors and pads with OEM ones.

Is there a way to test the braking pressure between front and back to see if it's uneven? Or for each wheel to see if it's another bad caliper?
If the caliper is sticking, the wheel should drag when you try to spin it. Jack it up. pump the brakes a little and try to spin the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.