Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my cruise control kept kicking off, I didn't have time to run it to the dealer and had planned on going in the morning. Didn't seem like a big deal so the girlfriend and I go out to eat. When we walked out of the restaurant I noticed my brake lights were on. Thinking that was weird I drove back to her place. We get there and the brake lights are blinking on and off occasionally completely on their own. I start messing around with things and pull on the brake pedal. The lights go off and don't come back on. Amazing, I know right... So my question is has anyone had this problem and if so does anyone know if there is an easy fix to it? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Haven't heard of that one before. How full is your brake fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
So today my cruise control kept kicking off, I didn't have time to run it to the dealer and had planned on going in the morning. Didn't seem like a big deal so the girlfriend and I go out to eat. When we walked out of the restaurant I noticed my brake lights were on. Thinking that was weird I drove back to her place. We get there and the brake lights are blinking on and off occasionally completely on their own. I start messing around with things and pull on the brake pedal. The lights go off and don't come back on. Amazing, I know right... So my question is has anyone had this problem and if so does anyone know if there is an easy fix to it? Thanks guys.
That sounds like my truck when the master cylinder need to be replace. i hope the brake booster didn't go bad too. That sucker cost over $1k :eek:

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Cruise control goes off when you step on brake. Brake sticking. Maybe low fluid. Curing sticky brake should cure cruise control problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
That sounds like my truck when the master cylinder need to be replace. i hope the brake booster didn't go bad too. That sucker cost over $1k :eek:
I had to replace my master cylinder 2 weeks ago, 60k miles on the truck...had a creeping pedal, wouldnt hold pressure when truck was running, but would get rock hard when truck was off,,there was a lil bit of the pedal not returning to, cant say its the same problem, i pretty much had zero stopping ability..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went out and started doing checks this morning. Brake fluid is good. Booster is still making vacuum. I have brakes when I push on the pedal and I haven't been able to duplicate the problem since I pulled on the pedal last night. I don't know, may just be one of those things.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sounds to me like a stuck, sticky, or mis-aligned brake light switch. Get under there and check it out asap man. You don't want to be pushing on the brakes while driving and not have the stoplights come on! That's a great way to get rear ended on the highway...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good thing to check! Now.... How do I do that exactly?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sounds like a good thing to check! Now.... How do I do that exactly?
It may be a little awkward to get a good look at it, and to be honest, I've never looked at the Tundra's brake light switch, but all are pretty much set up the same. Open the drivers (duhh) door, and stick your head down in the foot well and look up underneath the dash. Find the brake pedal (easy right?) and trace the lever up near the pivot point. The brake light switch could be either on the close side or far side of the pivot, but it'll be near it. It probably clips to a plastic or thin metal bracket, and then clips to the brake pedal arm. Just make sure its not hanging off or anything, and that when you move the brake pedal, the switch activates and the lights come on. It should come on long before there is any resistance in the pedal stroke. I'm sure somewhere around here there must be a tutorial or .pdf of how to adjust it if it is out of whack.

Here is the basic ideal...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Hit a bump on the way to class this morning and the cruise kicked off. It wasn't a hard bump that would kick it off, so something is loose or confused somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've seen lots of older cars with a spring that helps keep the pedal off the switch. Never looked, but do we have such a thing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got a chance to go check it out. Spring seems sturdy enough and the sensor looked ok. There was some kind of glue around where the spring is attached to the bracket. My theory is I may have kicked the spring and dislodged it somehow. I'll investigate more as soon as Texas remembers its supposed to be spring not the middle of winter haha. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it and ill post more with what I discover.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Sounds like a switch issue at the pedal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts