Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is more of an FYI for anyone who has similar experiences.

For the last 2 weeks I've had a problem with a metal on metal grinding noise coming from the passenger side of of my Tundra (08 CrewMax 5.7 4x4). The noise was not noticeable when cold but after about 5-10 mins of driving when everything was warm, it would grind like crazy. Almost embarrassingly loud, but only when turning left.

I thought it was coming from the front since it happened when turning so I had my local shop check it out. They found a spot on the duct shield on the front passenger side that had touched the rotor but nothing else wrong. So they bent it a little and sent me on my way (didn't charge me anything thankfully).

Well the noise was still there, absolutely no better, so I made an appointment today with the local Toyo dealer. At this time I had a friend lean out the window and they were almost positive they noise was from the rear. So I take it in and explain. They call and say the problem is the "backing plate", which I assume is the heat shield is warped/bent from heat and they can try to bend it back.

Well, I pick it up and that is what it was, the heat shield rubbing against the rotor on the rear passenger side. They bent it back and now no noise that I can tell. We will see if this happens again or is just a one time problem.

Needless to say I'm not too happy about paying for a hour's worth of diagnostic time and labor, especially if the cause is "brake heat". If this is the case then this is a crappy design with not enough vent holes in it.

The only other cause I can think of would be hitting the wheels against the heat shield while installing wheels & tires. I was the last one to mount wheels and tires on the truck, about 2 months ago and I make sure to be very careful and not hit anything. This is not to say someone couldn't have dropped a wheel on the heat shield earlier and weakened the metal, and then the heat got to it.

I thought this might help if anyone is having similar symptoms and can't figure it out. It's worth a look and maybe you can save yourself a trip to the dealer/garage, fix it yourself, and save some cash.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have been having the same problem (I hope!), in reverse. Well, not literally in reverse, but occurring only when I turn right. Also, the noise occurs when my suspension takes a hit, like a pothole or rough patch of pavement.

I thought at first that it was perhaps the power steering belt (we still have those, yes?), but after a day or two, realized it only happened when turning right. Never when turning left. Also, I could crank the wheel all the way over at a standstill with no noise.

Also, the noise sounds more like a grind or squeal, like metal scraping, than a belt squeal.

Oddly, no work has been done to my tires since they were installed about 7k miles ago (I am over due for a tire rotation).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those were my exact same symptoms. "Rattle" noise on bumps, especially washboard roads, and I thought it was the power steering at first. My theory is, if heat caused them to warp, then they were not designed with enough vents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Again, I am experiencing the exact same symptoms on my '08 Crewmax. Your right, it is almost embarrassing to hear that awful squealing when I turn. Gonnna pull the wheel and try to bend it back (and check the pads/rotors) this weekend. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

Sucks to have to pay an hour's diagnosis, but if it was me, I'd like to think at least part of it went to some tech. If only all my problems at work were so easy to find and fix...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats simple?

this was my post on Friday. Adding to it that it now does it going straight if i wiggle the steering wheel sharply while going 20+ mph. Dang thing definately sounds like its from the front. Havent done my rear pads yet since i bought it. Crossing my fingers.

my post:
To avoid the obvious and not waste your time. This issue is not break, rotor, tire, wheel, or bearing related. Nor is it alignment. 08' Tundra 47k miles

I get this rotational grinding noise from my front end when i do hard turns, left or right. Speed is usually 10-25 mph. Sound eminates from both wheels. Doesnt do it when im driving straight although there is a low wallowing sound i hear (almost like a tire needs replaced).

Im thinking it has something to do with the 4 wheel drive, but i am running it in 2 w/d. Please tell me you know what this is.

A friend told me the 4wd switch is a vacuum switch (not electrical) and some times water can get in the lines, or they has a leak, and the 4 w/d is partially engaging. Help

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeFlege... Mine was the same in that wiggling the steering sharply while going straight caused the noise. I'm glad others are finding a fix to the problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My truck does the same thing... I tried bending back the front brake backing plates with no luck, I will be bending the rears back today! Hopefully it works! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Please?

:nopics:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts