Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Tundra CM, with two package. i seldom tow and when I do it's a very small trailer. At 60k I am surprised I haven't needed to replace my brakes. What type of mileage on average do we expect from 2018 brake pads??

my other toyotas fj and 4runner went through them much faster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I purchased the truck, the brakes lasted from 34k - 101k.
After that I foolishly purchased Duralast brakes.
I started getting great mileage again when I stopped using Duralast. ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brake wear depends how the vehicle is being driven among other things. If you drive fast and/or apply the brakes hard in order to slow down faster i.e. wait until you almost get to where you need to stop and then brake really hard. Or if you do a lot of mountain driving, they may wear faster. A lot also depends how well your brakes were engineered for your particular vehicle so comparing your truck with an FJ or 4runner may not be a good criteria. I have a 2008 Tundra and didn't have to replace them until 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I had service done, oil change and rotation. the technician reported my brakes at 5mm front and 6mm back, these will pass inspection and I can replace pads in a month or two

·
Registered
92 Posts
My '07 Std Cab SR5 with 4.7L got ~65k on the fronts, with10% left front and 30% left rear. I put all 4 pad sets on at that time, a 1/2 day + $45 cash investment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had almost 60k on the 2016 DCLB I traded in, brakes were about half worn compared to new. Replaced a rotor because it was badly warped... it had warped proly around 30k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, seems the OEM pads must be pretty good, normally I would replace with OEM, I see no reason not to, maybe a few more $$$

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my 2011 CM in shop yesterday for belt and plugs. Mechanic said I have another 10 to 15K left on original pads. Flat country here in Louisiana and I tow boat and side by side. Truck has 103,000 and still running original battery!
Truck purchased 08/2010, best truck I have owned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mt 2016 DC has 60K and still on original brakes. I haven't towed much with this truck. My 2010 DC I replaced all 4 rotors and brakes around 40K but I towed a 5K pound camper a few times a year back then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced the original rear brakes on my 2016 at 111,000 miles. They still had some meat left on them. I'm doing the front brakes now at 136,000. These could have gone a LOT longer, but I wanted to get it done before the summer heat made it a more miserable job.

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,412 Posts
I drive in abusive traffic.

50k - changed rotors and pads. I used stop tech and hawk.

118k - changed rotors, pads, and new caliper hardware. I used ebc and green stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
77K miles on my 2015. I estimate that I have about 40% left on the brakes. I drive mostly highway, and my daily 60-mile commute only had one stop light; otherwise it was high speed highway. I also occasionally two a 3000 lb utility trailer, but I'm pretty easy with it.

When it comes time to replace the brakes, I'll get Powerstop rotors and pads from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm on the 4th set of pads rotors this week. These trucks warp them like crazy. Im in the mtns, but still. I've done stoptech, ebc. Rear brakes seem be wearing uneven too. Need to figure out why. Might have a stuck pin or piston not moving freely. Just another brake issue with this truck. Driving me crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mt 2016 DC has 60K and still on original brakes. I haven't towed much with this truck. My 2010 DC I replaced all 4 rotors and brakes around 40K but I towed a 5K pound camper a few times a year back then.
I replaced the front rotors and brakes around 40k also, also tow a 7,500lb at least several hundred miles per year.

The only reason they needed replacing was due to them being warped and I blame the faulty factory brake controller. Got that firmware updated and no issues since. I just did hundreds of miles in mountains pulling that trailer so we’ll see if any rotor problems develop, the brakes were working hard. I replaced the factory brakes with slotted rotors from R1 Concepts and HPS brake pads. Had to keep the revs high, braking firmly then coasting a lot to cool the rotors.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I replaced OEM brakes and tires at 42k miles. Im currently at 78k miles, and will need brakes and tires again this fall.

My truck is used for work, and has 600 - 800 pounds in it everyday (not counting driver or passengers) sometimes much more. Only occasionally tow though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts