Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a 2012 tundra and a few weeks ago the truck started not going into gear. So I just Popped off the cap and overrode it, than my abs and traction control lights came on, I drove from California to home in Louisiana. Until I realized I had no brake lights, checked fuses and they are all good, pulled the brake stop switch and took it apart and it looked slightly melted on the inside, can this. Cause all these problems? The only thing I addIed was an alarm and when I had it installed the shop told me the brake switch was dirty and wasn't giving proper reading but they fixed it.. Are these things prone to failure or could the alarm have caused this if this is the problem?

· Registered
1,052 Posts
So, I've got a 2012 tundra and a few weeks ago the truck started not going into gear. So I just Popped off the cap and overrode it, than my abs and traction control lights came on, I drove from California to home in Louisiana. Until I realized I had no brake lights, checked fuses and they are all good, pulled the brake stop switch and took it apart and it looked slightly melted on the inside, can this. Cause all these problems? The only thing I addIed was an alarm and when I had it installed the shop told me the brake switch was dirty and wasn't giving proper reading but they fixed it.. Are these things prone to failure or could the alarm have caused this if this is the problem?
just popped off what cap? overrode what?
if you engaged the brakes all the time then you basically kept the brakes on for your entire trip, so yes you would of broke something when keeping brake lights on the entire time.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Haven't heard of too many brake sensor switch failures on the Tundra but I know it was common on VWs. I would replace the switch and check how they have the alarm wired in to it, possibly a bad connection.

· Registered
362 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing.First it started hanging up in part but brake lights worked.Month later now no brake lights stability control blinkin light and abs light come on and ive been having to bypass the park safety swith by pulling the tab.I checked all fuses which are good.Im guessing the brake light switch is out of adjustment if it is adjustable.I know the park safety switch is powered by the brake lights.I fiddled with the brake light switch and they came on but I don't think the button on the switch is being fully depressed?

Just to update.I took a closer look at it and its a sticky switch.I worked it in and out to free it up a bit still sticking but it functions just a delayed response.I was wigging out with all the dash lights and every one saying its a fuse but it was just a bad canection.Im sure I can pull it out and get it working with out having to purchase one.Only cost is my time.I like fixing them up not repairing them.

· Registered
1,443 Posts
make sure the brake light bulbs are not blown. they will trip the ABS lamp and throw a code for a bad brake lamp switch and possibly not allow the shift out of park. with the AIP surge on start up, this could cause weak bulbs to pop.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
sounds to me like the installer damaged your brake switch or knocked it out of alignment. have seen this problem many times. if you cant shift out of park and your brake light dont work and fuse is good it is the switch. these should not fail on there own,but nothing is perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.