Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I cannot figure out what's going on. The brake light on my dash comes on randomly while I'm driving down the road. Seems like it comes n more when it's colder outside but it's been dong it a lot lately. It also seems like sometimes when I'm driving like down a hill and let off the gas it almost feels like it engages the brakes kinda like an exhaust brake or transmission brake. I'm starting to wonder if the emergency brake is actually engaging. That feeling is without the light on the dash has this happened to anyone else or similar. Is there a fix for it at all. Just had the oil changed at the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything at that time. My brake pads are squeezing now so I'm going to change the pads out soon just want to know what's going on with this light and auto brake feeling

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
There is a transmission brake when going down hill.

Have you checked the parking brake light switch? It's on the top of the parking brake pedal. Maybe there's a short in the wire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
E-brake switch creating a short for sure

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I believe the brake light on the dash will come on when your low on brake fluid too. Colder fluid has less volume so coming on more when it's cold would make sense. Maybe your fluid level is right on the edge. If you haven't changed pads in a long time, the reservoir will be low because the calipers are further out as the pads wear down.

Yeah, what your feeling going downhill is the trans trying to help slow you down...completely normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the brake light on the dash will come on when your low on brake fluid too. Colder fluid has less volume so coming on more when it's cold would make sense. Maybe your fluid level is right on the edge. If you haven't changed pads in a long time, the reservoir will be low because the calipers are further out as the pads wear down.

Yeah, what your feeling going downhill is the trans trying to help slow you down...completely normal.

That makes a lot of sense. Damn trans brake is killing my mpg when I want to coast haha. Ill check into it more tomorrow. Thanks everyone

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
My trans brake usually only kicks in when you tap the brake.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
you can float the skinny pedal and get it to coast, or at least I can on downhills...

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
you can float the skinny pedal and get it to coast, or at least I can on downhills...
Is the MPG really being hurt by the trans holding you back....sure the RPMs come up but not from added fuel. Floating the pedal would definitely add fuel and hurt MPG.

I guess the trans is hurting you on the downshift because you aren't gaining free speed that helps carry you up the next rise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts