Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dont bother looking for it behind the drivers side kick panel its NOT there ! It is located where the integrated brake control is supposed to be !

OK !!!!!! You ready to love me ? I have found it ! The integrated brake controller is supposed to be right under the tow haul button ! You have to take the lower dash out to bolts and pull lightly , it should come right out ! then disconnect all the electrical switches and the hood release ! once you do that the tow haul section will come out the same as the lower dash just a little light prying and the little section holding the tow haul button should come out ! under the tow haul button there are 2 dead head connections ! they look like they are plugged in but arnt ! the big white one is the new brake controller ! it is a different connection then the last several years so we are going to have to find a new connector ! I know this is the brake controller because i did a continuity test between the hook up on the back bumper and the switch its self hope this helps anyone out that's in the same jam ! maybe i should make it a sticky for others to find this info James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Took the truck back to Toyota today along with my brake controller and made them hard-wire it for free ! It took about an hour and was done by their Tech ! They do not have a pigtail for it so they will all have to be hard-wired! hope this helps anyone with the same problems ! :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So you guys already have 2015s?!?
Awesome! Where are the pictures??

Reactions: James9829

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took my 2015 Tundra D cab 4.6 to the dealer for the brake control install. My rv place didn't want to touch as they had had problems with brake control install on a newer highlander. Tekonsha Prodigy 2 controller looks good right of the knee airbag. They put it in for free. Some confusion on the availability of tow pkg on 4.6 non TRD. Looks like from what I've seen in the last two months on the net tow hitch is all you can get on a 4.6.Kinda silly, $430 for hitch, tow pkg (hvy duty oil/trns cooling, battery, and alternator), as well as greater towing capacity for$660. Got to look more closely if I buy another new Tundra. Mostly a daily driver, but we tow a 4800 dry TT twice a year. We'll see how she does on this upcoming trip.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a bit lost on this; does the 2015 5.7 have a trailer brake system or do we have to buy a separate device? My dealer is telling me that it the premier is there but no control unit.

·
Free Tire Finalist
6,305 Posts
I'm a bit lost on this; does the 2015 5.7 have an trailer brake system or do we have to buy a separate device? My dealer is telling me that it the premier is there but no control unit.

It's going to be a later release date. Just not available yet is the last I've heard. Here's to hoping it will also fit the 14's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So is there a factory integrated brake controller option for the 2015's or is it just a new location for the plug?

Right now my brake controller is hanging out in the driver's door pocket until I find a more ergonomic location for it. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No ! There is NO integrated brake controller for 2015 ! The plug is there but no control ! The Wires are now located directly under your tow haul button its a rectangle plug i had the dealer directly wire my brake controller for me I couldnt wait for a fix or an adapter i needed it to pull my T/T ! my guess is it will be available on the 2016 !
by then you should be able to buy the switch for it and it should be plug and play for the 15s till then were outta luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and just bought a 2015 Tundra Ltd with the tow package.

I spoke with a great girl at a online trailer place that provided the following info. Tekonska is in the process of creating a wiring adapter for the 2015 Tundra which will have Tekonska part # 3017-p. when it is released. She figured it would be out to the market in the next 3 weeks.

I find it absolutely crazy that Toyota would announce to the Press that one of the big changes for the 2015 Tundra would be a integrated brake controller along with a bigger gas tank and than do the following.

1/ begin selling 2015 Tundras in September of 2014 and not have any information about the timing or availability of integrated brake controller.

2/ not communicate to its dealers/customers that the brake controller wiring harness for 2015 tundra is brand new for 2015.

3/ not communicate to its dealers/customers that the location of the wiring harness connection is now in a new location under the tow/haul switch and not near the emergency brake on the left side as was in years gone by.

4/*NOT* provide its customers with a wiring harness adapter so that the customer could go and source out an aftermarket brake controller and have it installed

·
Registered
132 Posts
If anyone needs one i have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller for sale with the correct wiring harness for your trucks. Its practically brand new and ill let it go for a good price. Email me at [email protected] for any questions. I traded my tundra in on a Duramax so i don't need the tekonsha anymore. >:D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well I've ordered one through etrailer. Will let you know how it goes.

Cable Technology Electronics accessory Electronic device Auto part

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picked up my 2015 last Saturday. SR5 with TRD package. The owners manual has all the images like it was supposed to be in there (but its not).

Toyota gave me the adaptor with the car. It is in the glove compartment under the shelf for the manual. Fish around in there before you go buy one.

It really sucks it isn't integrated. I am hoping they will make it easy to replace the dash panel with the integrated controller when its released.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think that one is for the pre 14s as the harness changed. I think etrailer.com just came out with an updated harness

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up my 2015 last Saturday. SR5 with TRD package. The owners manual has all the images like it was supposed to be in there (but its not).

Toyota gave me the adaptor with the car. It is in the glove compartment under the shelf for the manual. Fish around in there before you go buy one.

It really sucks it isn't integrated. I am hoping they will make it easy to replace the dash panel with the integrated controller when its released.
I had the dealer install my brake controller and they had to buy a third party harness. They installed it on the right side above the knee airbag. Works fine except the keys hit it and rattle. It would be great if Toyota comes out with a integrated brake controller that you could install in the dash.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.