Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just bought a 2007 5.7 Double Cab. Great truck, this engine is God Awful powerful, but..
When i pull my boat i can feel the truck/boat kind of bounce and tug, and it feels like it sucks power out of the truck when this happens. My friends F150 does not do this and pulls it fine.
Im wondering if my shocks are worn and this is why this is happening. I think the previous owner did carry a lot of loads in the bed.
Should I just get the Bilstein 5100 for the rear and be done with it? or should i get the rear sway bar thingy?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..
BTW great forum, keep it up.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How much does the boat weigh? If you jump up and down on the bumper of the truck unloaded, does the suspension bounce up and down with seemingly little control or is it stiff and doesn't move much?

Sounds like shocks to me with the information you gave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, maybe I should have given more info...
2007 5.7 SR5. 95K miles. 4x4. non lifted.
It feels a bit bouncy but nothing out of control when i jump on the bumper. The boat does not weight too much. the F150 can handle it so this truck should definitely should.

when i look back i can see the boat bounce up and down a bit..

thanks for the responses and any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
If you have the black sr5 shocks, they're probably done. Mine were shot at 50k.
If you want to check them, take off the bottom bolt, push them in an see how long it takes for them to recoil. If they recoil at all. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have a 2007 DC 5.7L V8 towing a 29' camper that weighs no more than 7550 lbs. I, too, am getting bounce and struggles to go up hill. I did have a 2nd Gen 3.4L V6 towing a 5000 lbs camper and towing the new trailer feels exactly the same way I towed the old one. I've tried it in both tow/haul mode, S4/5 mode, and regular mode. Now I did get new tires and a new weight distribution /sway hitch and most of the bounce is gone. Wish someone could sit in my Tundra and tell me that the engine is or is not supposed to sound like that when towing. Just worried because my big trip to Nashville is in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bounce as in porpoising? How's your tongue weight?
New to some of these terms, so not sure what you mean by porpoising. My hitch weight is 585 lbs and the only thing I have on the front is 2 30 lb propane tanks and one battery. I do have an empty truck bed right now, but it will be weighted down with a cinder block and possibly a ladder. All's I know is when I go over some not so smooth road surfaces, my head bobbles up and down like the doggie in the window - okay, not that extreme, but my 2003 Tundra never did that.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The boat bouncing around is a seperate issue

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
sounds like trailer not balanced correctly imo...

or guy with two posts saying the f150 does it without any issues is fishing, but not using worms as bait... :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts