Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so it is embarassing. Any hazing warranted. But I just heard of this TRD PRO recently, really caught my eye. We fly fish, whitewater raft, go on beach here in NC, camp, all that normal stuff. So when I heard about Bilstein shocks and suspension upgrades the TRD PRO was like a carrot in front of donkey on a string. Its in my yard, mission accomplished. And hard to find, dang.

So what I am wanting to know is what did I buy. Lol. Was a quick process. Is the wheel travel alone the main upgrade over other Tundras? Curious what exactly I got in the TRD PRO, that other Tundras might not have. Dealer wasnt overly informed, and my homework was limited as I found truck and jumped on it. Thanks for any insights.

Dan
NC

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well the biggest draw of it is its a very limited model. And price reflects it.
Its basically an SR5 with special shocks, wheels, leather seats, stamped bed, trd exhuast, special grill

No comparison..... but people said the same thing about my GTO. It’s just a lemans with a big engine. As far as the price, for such a limited run the Pro is not priced bad at all. $46,500, although I’ve heard there are some dealers around the country marking them up horribly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im not knocking it by saying its an sr5 with that stuff. obviously the shocks and so on make it a totally different truck. But its not a limited or platinum with off road upgrades. Its a SR5 with off road upgrades. It doesn't have the features a cheaper limited does with the pro specific stuff added. Its a SR5 with off road upgrades.

For off roading, it has a level kit, and skid plates, removed sway bar. But Tires are still an all terrain not off road, and still doesn't have a locking differential. But does pretty good off road. Its more all about the look and status symbol than a serious off roader. But will perform better than any of the other trims at off roading obviously.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a most impressive truck, surely. The sound impressed me for factory pipes also. Heading to beach tonight and looking forward to some beach driving over the weekend. Certain areas of NC allow it. Kids should enjoy it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im not knocking it by saying its an sr5 with that stuff. obviously the shocks and so on make it a totally different truck. But its not a limited with off road upgrades. It doesn't have the features a cheaper limited does with the pro specific stuff added. Its a SR5 with off road upgrades.

For off roading, it has a level kit, and skid plates, removed sway bar. But Tires are still an all terrain not off road, and still doesn't have a locking differential. But does pretty good off road. Its more all about the look and status symbol than a serious off roader. But will perform better than any of the other trims at off roading obviously.

Well, Limiteds are not cheaper. MSRP is higher. They can be bought cheaper, though, because there’s plenty of them on the lots.

BTW, I’m just stirring the pot. I never could understand why people knock what others buy (granted, you stated you’re not knocking it). If you like it, buy it and enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Here is my take...

I had a Rock Warrior, which was essentially an SR5 with TRD off-road pkg, but color matched bumpers, a creaky front resin bumper... Sat a little higher in the front, but barely, and came with actual offroad tires and nicer looking wheels in a 17".

Yota took what people said/complained about, and applied it to the Pro, made it nicer inside than as SR5, but not extravagant. Actually made it sit level, and gave it it's own unique stamp instead of stickers on the bed... And a better exhaust from the factory...

*But then should have put a better off-road tire on it from the gate.

The suspension is pretty sweet. Off-road ride and even on-road is greatly improved. And it is unique.

I almost bought a Pro, and had the dealer not fubar'd and actually got the MGM Pro I had wanted, I would have an MGM pro. I did not like the Cement color in person as much as I had thought.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats on the new Pro, can't wait to hear how the tires fair in the sand. One great thing about the Pro is no chrome. None of that flashy shit. Enjoy the Pro, makes off road dreams a reality.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought one last year.
Certainly not for any status symbol. I could give two ****s.
I just always liked the Rock Warrior but when it came time to buy a new truck it was gone. And the Pro was it's replacement.
I love it. Although there are some interior things that could of been better like heated seats and a better stereo.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Check this video out.

Reactions: Danattherock

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2014 limited and had 8000 miles when I bought it, if I had to do it all over again I would buy an SR5 and put all the off road mods I want. The best mod I have done to my current one is king shocks all around, that being said tundras need a locking diff but you can get an aftermarket one preferably a rear locking diff if youre trying to choose between front and rear. The only thing I like about the pro is the bilstens (not rebuildable though like kings,fox,icon,ads) and the skid plate, other than that its a mediocre performer that any other model tundra can do with the right mods.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.