Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had toyo at 2's put on my 08 dc. truck has a 3/1 readylift and tires are 275 70 18's. Cant stand the tires. They are louder then my previous bfg at's, they look like boring tires on the truck and they have wicked weak sidewalls. Bought them from treadepot and called today and going to return them this week.

I'm debating a replacement.. maybe 295 70 18 nitto terra grapplers I found locally for cheap slightly used, or maybe duratracs.

Any suggestions?

BTW had nittos on my f-150's before and they were way better then these toyos with looks and all.

Attachments

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics please!
pic added. problem is it looks good in pics but in person its kinda like a car/highway tire look. about 23 people so far all looked at it and said "eehh, I mean its ok I guess" .. not what you want to hear. Used to getting compliments not that confused look on peoples face. I myself cant get used to the look.

Problem is the tires have a tiny tiny fake side wall tread pattern. In pics online they look mean, not in person.. I would say the cooper at/3 tires look more aggressive in person on my work truck then these do. Turns out theres two different toyo at2's, one aggressive and one not so aggressive. Apparently this size is the not so aggressive ones.

· Registered
508 Posts
The nittos are louder .

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The nittos are louder .
I dont mind loud tires at all. My problem is these look like highway all seasons and they sound like aggressive muds. If they are gonna be loud, be aggressive lol!
I shoulda bought mud tires. My buddy has the nitto terra grapplers on his dodge and I had them on all my fords and they are way more aggressive looking in person then these toyos..

· Registered
545 Posts
Should have got a size that are "extreme" mine look great and are quieter than the Goodyear duratrac's I had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Should have got a size that are "extreme" mine look great and are quieter than the Goodyear duratrac's I had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yea, well before I bought anything I called like 15 tire places carrying toyo and others and not one said a word on any extreme tread on only special sizes or anything about two styles of this tire being different.
Now that I bought them and didn't like them I searched and found exactly what your talking about.
NONE of the toyo places tell me which are extreme and which aren't, and none of them told me the size I was looking for was any different. This is part of my frustration. Online all the pics are of the extreme not the ones I got and knowone tells you this when your looking to buy. Had I known I never would have bought them.

Are your side walls paper thin? Before mine were mounted I could poke my finger into mine and it was like a screwdriver into a thin rug. Shoulda been a sign to send them right back then..

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Man, I actually like those a lot....

I have the 295/70/18 Nitto Terras and think your size and tire looks better haha.

Did you get the P-rated tire? Maybe the E-rated comes with the aggressive tread... Either way, they look good and I know they're a damn good tire.

I like my Nittos but after 13 hours on the interstate all I hear is buzzing in my ears... My buddy has factory tires on his Dodge and I wasn't "sick" at all after spending 24 hours in his truck this weekend on the road.

-rockstate

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Man, I actually like those a lot....

I have the 295/70/18 Nitto Terras and think your size and tire looks better haha.

Did you get the P-rated tire? Maybe the E-rated comes with the aggressive tread... Either way, they look good and I know they're a damn good tire.

I like my Nittos but after 13 hours on the interstate all I hear is buzzing in my ears... My buddy has factory tires on his Dodge and I wasn't "sick" at all after spending 24 hours in his truck this weekend on the road.

-rockstate
nope mine are the e-rated ten ply. They ride good, and I like them but when I bought tires my idea was to get a bigger more aggressive tire. These are too mild for what I thought I was getting and I was not at all impressed with the sidewalls.

Its kinda like I look at my truck and Im like it looks decent. I wanted something different then I got for looks I guess.
The side wall tread design looks really cheesy in person. I dont know how to explain it online, its just in person everyone including myself was kinda less then pleased. I wanted more " wow whata difference" and got more "looks like any other truck with highway treads"

The truck stood out before with the 3/2 kit and it just looked different. The tires kinda milded that right out. Ive seen my exact truck in red with cooper at/3's in the same size and it looks alot better with even those tires. Something about these just dont do it for me or anyone who has looked at my truck.

· Premium Member
493 Posts
The non-extreme remind me of rugged trails.......

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I guess I have the opposite opinion. I think the tires are top notch, but then again I got them in an "extreme" size. The 275/70/18 is kinda small anyways and is not one of those sizes as you mentioned. I think in 18 the only one is the 35/12.50/18. In 20s the 305/55/20 and 35x12.50 are extremes. I have the 35x12.50x20.

· Registered
296 Posts
Coopers LTZ

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They remind me of rugged trails.......
That's actually what it might be that's hard to get past in person. They do kinda look alot like stock rugged trails but slightly bigger. It kinda returned the truck partially back to stock look.

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I have the opposite opinion. I think the tires are top notch, but then again I got them in an "extreme" size. The 275/70/18 is kinda small anyways and is not one of those sizes as you mentioned. I think in 18 the only one is the 35/12.50/18. In 20s the 305/55/20 and 35x12.50 are extremes. I have the 35x12.50x20.

Yours look great. I'm convinced the problem with looks is the non extreme ones only.
If they just made them all the same it would be a lot better.

· Registered
508 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want, I love my trail grap mt's they aren't that loud and you can get 60k out of them. And they look great!

Reactions: Ogtoyfan and theoat

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A guy locally has nitto terra grapplers in 295-70-18's with low miles on them for 500.00.
Buying them tomorrow returning the toyos. Ill post back with pics when they are installed.

figured I'll try this for now, cant beat the price.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.