Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man these things sell fast...

After some time trying unsuccessfuly to find a 1st gen, I just came across a one owner, California, 2007 Tundra with 115k that had been traded in. I ran up there and bought it (for just under $20k).
This particular dealer has a 3 day return policy, so I want to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

Carfax shows some dealer service history. I called the most recent dealer and they told me that at 109k (2/2020) owner requested a multipoint inspection, water pump and belt if needed, battery, and interior lights. It also shows a "5k service" which I assume is oil change, and a cabin filter.

I'm still trying to get better records (and I may have tracked down the original owner) but I was wondering what else you would check. I asked 2 dealers if they do detailed inspections and both said they only do a "safety inspection." I want someone to tell me if the center driveshaft has too much play and is about to drop off, or something like that
:)

Advice welcome! Other than a slightly worn drivers seat, some fading on the roof and front bumper clearcoat, and only having one key, it seems fine. I did notice a little ticking from the engine (almost like a diesel sound) which worries me a bit but may be common?

Thanks in advance!

(The other forum told me about registering with Toyota and pulling service history. I found the water pump is new, brakes too. )
Tracked down the original owner who mentioned the fuel gauge sometimes is off (inread up on sending units).

don’t think there is anything to make me take it back but having Toyota of Walnut Creek look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
790 Posts
These engines are a tad noisy but I'm sure the dealer your having check it will know if it's a problem or normal. Sounds like a good truck, congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts

After some time trying unsuccessfuly to find a 1st gen, I just came across a one owner, California, 2007 Tundra with 115k that had been traded in. I ran up there and bought it (for just under $20k).
This particular dealer has a 3 day return policy, so I want to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

Carfax shows some dealer service history. I called the most recent dealer and they told me that at 109k (2/2020) owner requested a multipoint inspection, water pump and belt if needed, battery, and interior lights. It also shows a "5k service" which I assume is oil change, and a cabin filter.

I'm still trying to get better records (and I may have tracked down the original owner) but I was wondering what else you would check. I asked 2 dealers if they do detailed inspections and both said they only do a "safety inspection." I want someone to tell me if the center driveshaft has too much play and is about to drop off, or something like that

Advice welcome! Other than a slightly worn drivers seat, some fading on the roof and front bumper clearcoat, and only having one key, it seems fine. I did notice a little ticking from the engine (almost like a diesel sound) which worries me a bit but may be common?

Thanks in advance!

(The other forum told me about registering with Toyota and pulling service history. I found the water pump is new, brakes too. )
Tracked down the original owner who mentioned the fuel gauge sometimes is off (inread up on sending units).

don’t think there is anything to make me take it back but having Toyota of Walnut Creek look at it tomorrow.
I hope you like your Tundra. Tundras are mostly easy to maintain. Mine is a 2016. The only issue I had was with the integrated brake controller. I successfully replaced the unit with a Tekonsha P3 using an aftermarket face plate. It took less than an hour to install and set it up, and it looks like a factory installation. I use 5W20 Mobile One synthetic motor oil due to about 90K miles. Runs beautifully. I hope that yours does equally well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2007 and it has 242,000 never used any oil between 5000 mile changes
I replaced the water pump at 90,000 not leaking but a calcium water mark under it by the hole (Toyota replaced it under recall )
Replaced starter at 125,000
Replaced a couple turn signal bulbs
And the engine has always sounded like a noisy
At 242,000 she runs as good as the day I got her at 2 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Make sure the timing belt was replaced, I believe it calls for it at 90000 miles and it’s not cheap. When done they replace the water pump since it has to come off anyway, mine cost 2000, dealer wanted 3500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts