Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During lunch I was looking at a minor blemish in order to determine if it was a scratch or just mud (it was mud!) when I noticed something...

I found that the bed of my truck is slightly more narrow than the cab of my truck. So, if I look just behind the rear door (it's a double cab), the body of the cab is not precisely aligned with the body of the bed. As I noted, the bed is a bit more narrow.

I had not noticed this previously, and decided to check that the bed and cab weren't out of alignment. I found that the sidewall of the bed was recessed a bit on both sides (in relation to the side of the cab body), but that it was recessed more on the driver's side.

I have not been able to take an accurate measurement, but I'd estimate that one side is recessed about 3/4 of an inch, and the other 1.0 inches.

Would this sort of variation be normal in manufacturing, or could it be that my vehicle was damaged? I bought it used, and while it was not 'certified', all of the various CarFax style reports came up clean.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The bed can be moved around about 1/2" by loosening the bolts so it's fairly normal.
You might want to check that the bed bolts are tight though. Mine were loose from the factory so my dealer torqued them to specs. The tech said that they always checked them because a lot of them had been loose.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I noticed this too. My truck was purchased as a wreck. I noticed this right away. I was thinking I had to realign the bed. After some research I found out that the bed is in fact narrower than the cab. I can find no reason for this. Just one of those things that make you say "hmmm".

KO

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

My Tundra is *not* a wreck, so far as I know. But I am the 2nd owner, so despite carfax and such, one sometimes imagines the worst.

I will have to pry the bedliner off to see if I can't spot those bolts, although THAT won't happen for a couple of weeks, probably...

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
It's aerodynamics man....Imagine the horrible gas mileage if it wasn't like that.

(Actually I have no idea and I'm curious so I'll check mine out when I get home)

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's aerodynamics man....Imagine the horrible gas mileage if it wasn't like that.

(Actually I have no idea and I'm curious so I'll check mine out when I get home)
Actually it is. Look in your mirror when your driving down the highway in the rain. The water gets to the gap in the bed and the cab and wants to fly back and in. The bed being more narrow keeps the water from getting in that divide. I actually asked the Toyota body shop here about it Cause I noticed the same thing on mine about 3 weeks after i purchased it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all! That's interesting to know that the narrower bed was by design.

But my concern was not that the bed was more narrow. It was that the bed did not seem to be aligned with the cab. The offset of the bed was more pronounced on one side as opposed to the other. Not by much - maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch difference - but enough to spark my concern that my purchase had some hidden damage in it's past, and in fact WAS too good to be true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts