Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I stopped by the local stereo shop here...My goal is to get my Tundra to sound as good or better then my 335i with the logic 7 system.

Here is what they suggested:

I'm wanting to keep the stock head unit. Im not really looking to do DVD or Nav just want the same or better sound as the Beamer

Hertz Hi-Energry HSK165 for the front and HCX165 for the rears
JL Audio XD600/1 Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 amp
Stealth box with a W7
A Audison bit ten D digital processor then tuned to my liking.

My question is what do you audio experts think?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So I stopped by the local stereo shop here...My goal is to get my Tundra to sound as good or better then my 335i with the logic 7 system.

Here is what they suggested:

I'm wanting to keep the stock head unit. Im not really looking to do DVD or Nav just want the same or better sound as the Beamer

Hertz Hi-Energry HSK165 for the front and HCX165 for the rears
JL Audio XD600/1 Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 amp
Stealth box with a W7
A Audison bit ten D digital processor then tuned to my liking.

My question is what do you audio experts think?
Sounds ok don't know what a bmw sound system sounds is like but go for it. I just buy stuff that sounds good to me. I have always like pioneer speaker may not be the best or most expense but to me they sound good and quality is not bad. But go for what you like. Everyone has there own taste!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hertz are known to be excellent sound quality speakers, and JL is known to put out some very clean power so the combination should sound awesome. The 8w7 will sound great as well, but don't expect it to get too loud. I'm assuming you know this, and obviously you're going for sound quality... so I'm also assuming you don't care. Great choice with the Audison bit-10, as well!

With a setup like that I'm assuming you're dropping a decent chunk of change for all of this stuff... and with install on top it will probably run you somewhere near an arm and a leg! Keep us posted with updates and any install pics (if the shop will let you sneak in during the process).

Reactions: dansto82

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hertz are known to be excellent sound quality speakers, and JL is known to put out some very clean power so the combination should sound awesome. The 8w7 will sound great as well, but don't expect it to get too loud. I'm assuming you know this, and obviously you're going for sound quality... so I'm also assuming you don't care. Great choice with the Audison bit-10, as well!

With a setup like that I'm assuming you're dropping a decent chunk of change for all of this stuff... and with install on top it will probably run you somewhere near an arm and a leg! Keep us posted with updates and any install pics (if the shop will let you sneak in during the process).
Yeah I'm going for quality. You aint kidding about an arm and leg...LOL but if my upcoming busy season for work gets me some really nice OT then it will most likely be getting done. Hoping for it all in about 3 months. The shop I stopped at is the best here in CLT. They are up by Lake Norman, which if you know the area is a richy rich part. But if ya dont its pretty much where all the NASCAR drivers live, Doctors and Lawyers have houses there. Hell alot of the people have vacation homes on it. I dont understand how you can have a 5 million dollar vacation home...LOL sorry back on track.

Looking online i can source the parts and save myself about 500 bucks but i'm guessing the shop would work with me if i went to buy.

What do you think 2 JL Stealth boxes with the 8w7 would sound?

·
Registered
607 Posts
2 stealthboxes would sound great and definitely add some more beef to the sub-stage, assuming they would fit. But, if you get another stealthbox you'll need to step up to a 1000/1 instead of the 600/1. And, I know how damn expensive those amps, boxes, and subs are, so... as you obviously know that just adds up to you being a triple amputee after you're done at the shop :D

They should give you a decent package deal on product and install pricing for buying so much stuff. And, if you're going with this much high-end stuff, definitely buy from them because in the long run if there are any mistakes you take it to them and they take care of you. Ordering online is great if you're a DIY person like me, but sounds like you don't have the time to be dealing with warranties and shipping stuff out if anything goes wrong. Also, some shops will upcharge the shit out of you if you bring your own stuff for them to install.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'll be buying from them for sure. I was just pricing the stuff online to know what price I want to negotiate with the shop. Only thing I might buy offline is if i find a stealth box for a killer deal when i have the money.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah I'm going for quality. You aint kidding about an arm and leg...LOL but if my upcoming busy season for work gets me some really nice OT then it will most likely be getting done. Hoping for it all in about 3 months. The shop I stopped at is the best here in CLT. They are up by Lake Norman, which if you know the area is a richy rich part. But if ya dont its pretty much where all the NASCAR drivers live, Doctors and Lawyers have houses there. Hell alot of the people have vacation homes on it. I dont understand how you can have a 5 million dollar vacation home...LOL sorry back on track.

Looking online i can source the parts and save myself about 500 bucks but i'm guessing the shop would work with me if i went to buy.

What do you think 2 JL Stealth boxes with the 8w7 would sound?
2 stealth boxes would absolutely hammer, I didn't install 2 stealth boxes but I have done a few trucks with 2 and even one with 3 subs in custom built boxes built just like the stealth box for customers of mine and it sounds great. If you wanna keep the cost about the same and use more subs I did one a few weeks ago with 3 jl audio 8w3 subs and that thing slams and is clean as hell. The amps and processor you have selected are pretty damn good as well, also hertz is one of the better speakers on the market. It's a well done system.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
For running that level of a system I would actually recommend stepping up to the HD amps your gonna spend thousands on the best of everything else you might as well have the top of the line amps too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For running that level of a system I would actually recommend stepping up to the HD amps your gonna spend thousands on the best of everything else you might as well have the top of the line amps too.

With all this stuff will i need a capacitor?

Have any pics of the boxes you have done?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You will soon find yourself upgrading the system in your BMW too.. I have the same in my 535 and it sounds good for a factory system but when you hear it side by side with a good aftermarket system there is no comparison, your truck is going to sound way way better than the logic 7 system.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will soon find yourself upgrading the system in your BMW too.. I have the same in my 535 and it sounds good for a factory system but when you hear it side by side with a good aftermarket system there is no comparison, your truck is going to sound way way better than the logic 7 system.

Sweet. but no way the wifey will let me do that...LOL

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, yeah I've been slowly stacking stuff up for the system in our 535 my wife has no idea, she will just come home from a trip someday and wonder why it's suddenly louder.

LOL the 335 is kinda a sore subject with her...LOL i kinda just went out one sat morning and came back with it.:D

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I have the Hertz speakers. They are awesome but my imaging is lacking compared to my old system in my last truck. It isn't the speakers though, I have pinpointed the problem as an install issue. If you look for non conventional install methods that get the mids and tweeters closer together than the standard sail panel/lower door panel positions (18 inches or less) it will sound better with less tuning required. I have had other higher end aftermarket components that sounded better with conventional mounting positions. But for these particular drivers to really shine and reach their full potential in our particular vehicle, positioning them closer together seems to be key.

When properly installed HERTZ is one of those brands known for genuine and faithful sound replication.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts