Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to start a new thread to provide information that addresses multiple threads on this forum which mention that the 5.7L will occasionally burn oil on cold startup and create a cloud of blue smoke. This lasts 30 seconds. Other than this infrequent cold start-up oil burn, there is no indication on the dip-stick that the engine is regularly burning oil. You can see a video of what this blue cloud looks like by going here:

What has never been reported in the previous threads is that this problem can be replicated every time under the following conditions:

1- The engine has to be completely warmed up to normal operating temperature.
2- Within a couple of blocks of your destination, such as home or work, accelerate rapidly so that the RPM exceeds 3400 RPM for 3 or 4 seconds.
3- Drive it gently the remaining short distance to your destination and immediately turn off the engine.
4- Wait until the engine is completely cooled down (such as overnight, or at the end of your workday).
5- Start the engine and watch your right side mirror (or look out your back window) at the big cloud of blue smoke.

Would those of you with the 5.7L iForce (in a Tundra or Sequoia) perform an experiment under safe conditions and execute the above steps to see if your 5.7L does the same thing? Then please report back with your results on this thread. (Again, please execute these steps in a safe environment; don't romp on the accelerator in a residential neighborhood with a 25 mph speed limit.) Toyota feels like this is a rare or isolated problem. I have evidence from combing through posts on this and other forums that this problem is much more common than previously thought. What we don't know at this point is whether or not this problem affects all 5.7L or just a percentage of them. So please, help us gather some statistics that we can present to Toyota engineering to help them better understand the extent of what appears to be a design flaw.

NOTE: If addressing this issue under warranty with your dealer, Toyota will start by having the valve stem oil seals replaced. Please be aware that this will not fix the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I have an appointment this week to have the rings replaced as the next suggested step by Toyota in an effort to correct this problem. The first time I took the truck in to the dealer to have the issue diagnosed, Toyota recommended that they replace the valve stem seals, which they did. As posted above, this did not resolve the issue - thus, the appointment this week for the piston ring replacements.

I will post updates on this issue as I have new information.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine does the same on cold startup, would do it worse when it was super cold out. In the morning I will get a vid of mine doing it but the only difference is that my truck is a 2004 Toyota tundra sr5 with 200k miles 4.7l

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah, I'd be very curious of what each and every cylinder tested at.

Are the rings these days installed by hand of by robot? Just curious for those "in the know".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To address questions raised by OldGuy43 and McGov Tundra:

1- I bought the Tundra new - ordered it from the factory and carefully followed to a T Toyota's break-in recommendations as per the owners manual. This is probably the last new vehicle I'll ever purchase, and as such take exceptional care of it. Thus, I know that the engine has never been abused or driven hard and was meticulously broken in. I have read every post I can find about this issue and it affects many 5.7L engines. The evidence is pointing to a design flaw. What is really odd about this issue is that if you accelerate quickly as per the instructions above, you will not see any blue smoke during the higher RPM's. And if you do the above test and park the vehicle for a few minutes and then restart it while the engine is still hot, you won't see any oil burn either. It is only after the increased RPM run prior to completely cooling off the engine that you will see the oil burn at cold startup. This has the Toyota Field Service rep really puzzled.

2- I didn't want to get too bogged down with the details of all of the testing before Toyota would recommend a course of action (in this case, replacing the valve stem seals). Toyota required a series of tests, including compression tests, camera scopes (looking for oil residue), PCV valve check, ECU data analysis, etc. Then after the heads were removed, they were sent off to a performance machine shop to be spec'd. Everything checked out. There were no discernible issues. The local tech at the dealer doing the work has followed Toyota's guidance at every step.

Once again, I'd love for those of you with a 5.7L to conduct the test mentioned above and report back the results. In fact, it might even be instructive to have those of you with a 4.7L also conduct the test and see if you get the same results. It would be so helpful to have some data that we could feed Toyota.

·
Registered
62 Posts
To address questions raised by OldGuy43 and McGov Tundra:

1- I bought the Tundra new - ordered it from the factory and carefully followed to a T Toyota's break-in recommendations as per the owners manual. This is probably the last new vehicle I'll ever purchase, and as such take exceptional care of it. Thus, I know that the engine has never been abused or driven hard and was meticulously broken in. I have read every post I can find about this issue and it affects many 5.7L engines. The evidence is pointing to a design flaw. What is really odd about this issue is that if you accelerate quickly as per the instructions above, you will not see any blue smoke during the higher RPM's. And if you do the above test and park the vehicle for a few minutes and then restart it while the engine is still hot, you won't see any oil burn either. It is only after the increased RPM run prior to completely cooling off the engine that you will see the oil burn at cold startup. This has the Toyota Field Service rep really puzzled.

2- I didn't want to get too bogged down with the details of all of the testing before Toyota would recommend a course of action (in this case, replacing the valve stem seals). Toyota required a series of tests, including compression tests, camera scopes (looking for oil residue), PCV valve check, ECU data analysis, etc. Then after the heads were removed, they were sent off to a performance machine shop to be spec'd. Everything checked out. There were no discernible issues. The local tech at the dealer doing the work has followed Toyota's guidance at every step.

Once again, I'd love for those of you with a 5.7L to conduct the test mentioned above and report back the results. In fact, it might even be instructive to have those of you with a 4.7L also conduct the test and see if you get the same results. It would be so helpful to have some data that we could feed Toyota.
So I believe I have done all of those steps on accident at night on my way home just because I am a teenager so, but otherwise every single morning I have the blue smoke, I haven't noticed a morning when their wasn't smoke so. Also did the rings fix it or no?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dayne,

What year is your truck? Do you have the 5.7L engine? How many miles are on it? Do you notice blue smoke after the engine is warmed up (or maybe just when you floor it)? Do you notice that the oil level drops on the dipstick between oil changes?

My truck is still in the shop and so I don't know if the issue has been resolved yet. However, the mechanic thinks he has found the problem and will tell me the technical details when I pick it up later this week. I'll keep folks posted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2004 4.7l 200k, I only notice it on cold start, if engine is warm I don't believe I get it but i could be wrong, testing that now. I haven't noticed the oil level dropping that much at all, I will say I had a shop do my oil tjis once for me so I have a good baseline as in how much it will drop. Also I would love to know what the issue is

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
You certainly can't ask your dealer to do more.....I mean how many dealers would have pulled the heads and sent them off for analysis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dayne,

What year is your truck? Do you have the 5.7L engine? How many miles are on it? Do you notice blue smoke after the engine is warmed up (or maybe just when you floor it)? Do you notice that the oil level drops on the dipstick between oil changes?

My truck is still in the shop and so I don't know if the issue has been resolved yet. However, the mechanic thinks he has found the problem and will tell me the technical details when I pick it up later this week. I'll keep folks posted.
You ever end up getting back your truck or at least finding out the issue?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Strange the OP hasn't gotten back with info. Also strange Toyota would actually remove an engine tear it apart and replace the rings . For labor and reliability sake one would thing Toyota would just replace the engine ( new )

1 - 20 of 33 Posts