Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had issues with the huge blind spot created by the sideview mirrors? I have nearly been hit several time after pulling out in front of a vehicle I never saw.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
thats why you count to 3 when you stop. then proceed. gives you a chance to see those things. my new gmc 2500 sucks have to look under the rearview cause its right in my face.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I find that my DC with 8' bed and tow mirrors is hard to find a good position with the mirrors. My single cab with regular mirrors seems to have better visibility . They didn't almost hit you. You almost hit them. Try those little Stick on mirrors for blind spots. I put one on my DC and it helps to see an object in that area. They aren't very clear but atleast you will see the object there. Also try a different position with your seat and then readjust the mirrors. I rather be slightly uncomfortable than unsafe. I find that I always check 2 or 3 times before I lane change. You never know when a biker is flying up on you. And I always use the signals, they are put there for a reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm the opposite from Lee...I drove another truck with tow mirrors for the past 9 years and it's definitely an adjustment to drive with "normal" mirrors. With the tows, I set the lower convex mirror to be able to see the entire side of the vehicle, so no blind spots there.

And it makes backing into parking spots a breeze.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Was it a tundra? I am saying between my two tundras that are the same year. But two different body styles and mirrors. To original post are you talking about a blind spot in the mirror, or are the actual mirrors creating a blind spot? If it is the latter , I do not have that problem. Like I said I always check 2 to 3 times changing lanes, pulling into traffic, making a turn, backing up, I am constantly checking my mirrors while driving straight. I see to many people not paying any attention at all. Or they just don't give a shit and expect you to move. I was put into on coming traffic 2 times this week alone because of dbags. I have to find a way to post it here . I have video of it .thank god I had enough time and attention nothing happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lee, it was a Nissan Titan. I've driven many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with tow mirrors and have had the same experience. Maybe it's just something that I'm used to. I have the lower convex mirrors adjusted to the point that I don't even need to look at the top mirror before switching lanes or baking up and have excellent visibility.

YMMV, of course. :)

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I have the same issue and Since I have a shell, I still miss a few after looking over my shoulder. I like the looks of yours, @1lowlife, and will probably pick up a pair. I never liked the looks of the round ones. They were too "school bus" for me.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the new way to adjust mirrors is to almost or not see the rear corner at all of vehicle.takes some getting used to but it does expand the coverage.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think he means not being able to see what is behind or beyond the mirror. I had that problem once at an intersection where the traffic from the right comes uphill and a little car hid perfectly behind my mirror. I got much more careful after that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the new way to adjust mirrors is to almost or not see the rear corner at all of vehicle.takes some getting used to but it does expand the coverage.
I've always done this. I adjust them so I can see a car as it disappears from my side window and before it shows in my rearview.
I find some cars sit so low that I can't see them no matter how I look.
Going faster than anyone else works great though! :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think he means not being able to see what is behind or beyond the mirror. I had that problem once at an intersection where the traffic from the right comes uphill and a little car hid perfectly behind my mirror. I got much more careful after that.
if so then the mirror is the least of his concern when compared to the A pillar blockage.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Oh, I guess I misunderstood.

Then perhaps one of the these in the seat to get a better view.

Too retro?
Then one of these..

It never entered my mind that the mirror was blocking a forward view..:|
Does the OP have an issue reaching the pedals or seeing over the steering wheel as well?

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Picked up one of these at the local dealer when I picked up my black Pro engine badges. Probably the most reasonably priced things in the entire building.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! I picked up a set of these and they work great for covering the blind spot. I can adjust the mirrors out to cover the blind spot but like to monitor my trailer. These make covering both doable. Takes a little getting used to but checked several blind spot situations today and they cover it great. I moved them a bit towards center to leave visual coverage of the trailer wheels on the inside corner.

I first used these on my 2014.
Put them in the lower outside corners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVMT6A8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But after installing my Muth mirror signals I use these.

K Source Fit System CW022 - Blind Spot Mirror | O'Reilly Auto Parts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts