Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, so I finally got my TRD pro grill on my '17 Limited. Got the color keyed bumper end caps and white hood bulge as well. Gettin rid of all the chrome! I've looked around but haven't seen anyone who's blacked their headlight housing out (similar to the TRD Pro headlights). Has anyone done this? I've seen it done on other vehicles but haven't seen it on here yet. Trying to see if anyone has done this rather than spending the $400+ on the TRD headlights. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Step 1: buy 1 can plastic parts adhesion promotor, 2 cans sandable primer in grey, tack cloth, panel prep wipe, sandpaper (say 600-1500+ grit) Toyota black paint (code 202 or 218, I recommend 218...in spray paint can) and 2k urethane clear coat in spray paint can (should be around $130-ish)
Step 1a: buy a roll of Morimoto RetroRubber in Black
Step 2: remove lights from truck
Step 3: bake open headlights ... this will be tough because of the permaseal but doable. Opened a pair of lights this weekend in 3 minutes for each after removing from oven - not bad
Step 4: get ALL permaseal out of headlight channels and off lenses.
Step 5: sand chrome. You can't sand too much.
Step 6: prep
Step 7: begin painting
Step 8: after 2k urethane clear coat, oven cure
Step 9: after waiting overnight or a day or two or as long as you can give it, lay RetroRubber in headlight channel
Step 10: bake light again to assemble
Step 11 (optional): I run a bead of clear marine sealant around the edge of the light to help ensure no leaks or moisture gets in the light
Step 12: reinstall lights onto truck

Note: the 2k urethane clear coat is a MUST to prevent paint transfer from the bezel to the inside of the lens. a MUST!

Have you considered retrofitting, or do you not want to mess with that? I mean, the headlight is apart and you're sitting there looking at the open reflector bowl. If you're going to eventually, right then would be the time to retrofit.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.