Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you guys that have a Black truck like me, I just found a product that works awesome for swirl marks and minor scratches. It's from Turtle Wax and its called black wax. I bought just the Quick Detailer and I am thoroughly impressed with the job it did on my truck. Just an FYI

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
same here. another trick that helps prevent water spots when washing is I either wash in a rain storm or I keep the entire truck wet and when im done rinsing I use a leaf blower to dry it off before the spots can form

Reactions: TundraTigger

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Check out www.autogeekonline.net

I would try Meguires black wax, it has a better reputation then the turtle wax.

I have Opticoat 2.0 on my black tundra and it's awesome. No need to wax anymore and added some swirl mark resistance. It's a permanent coating, and probably more work then most are willing to do, but it's worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Jumbo Jet

·
Registered
143 Posts
Waxes and sealants don't get rid of any swirls or scratches. Polishing is the only thing that will do that. (Or maybe wetsanding if it's bad enough)

Turtle Wax products won't last nearly as long or protect like professional products either.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
color wax is a gimmick. Its like a wax with a glaze mixed in with questionable longevity.

If you have black and are trying fix swirls, scratches and water etching the right way is buy a DA polisher, get some pads, good quality polishing compounds and correct your paint the right way! Then seal it, keep it sealed and waxed and use good quality waffle or double soft towels when drying.

I used to go the glaze and colored wax route but its just a bandaid. Give polishing a try, you'll be amazed at the results! Don't fear the black! Embrace it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can anybody here recommend a good DA polisher for some of us novices when it comes to detailing? I would really like to start doing my own detailing and waxing instead of burning $50 every two months.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Can anybody here recommend a good DA polisher for some of us novices when it comes to detailing? I would really like to start doing my own detailing and waxing instead of burning $50 every two months.

I have the Porter Cable DA polisher from adams. I use a combination of the adams pads as well as some of the Lake Country Foam pads. It works great, but a few others run the Griots DA Polisher, its a bit cheaper and some say more balanced - smoother polishing unit. Alot of times there's good sales on that tool on amazon and Griots. Adams sells the Porter Cable as well as warranties it if you have any issues.

If you wanna go balls out the Flex variable speed polisher is a GREAT TOOL! Its got more forced rotation on the pad but also has the variable speed trigger and allows more working of your polish faster.

As far as polish products go my stable is Meguiars Pro M105 and M205, as well as a Menzerna 4500UF finishing polish, as well as Ultima PPP (which I use in conjunction with the Ultima Sealants). I also like the Adams MAchine Sealant - you can put it on with an Adams Red Pad or a Lake country glaze, or jeweling pad.

On top of my sealants I prefer either the Adams Americana or Pinnacle Sovereign waxes - both are high quality waxes that produce great beading and great protection! If you don't want to go to that extent on spending $$$ on wax the Meguairs Pro Series Yellow goes on easy, comes off easy and on top of a sealant or not lasts a FREAKING LONG TIME!

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts

Like skate said, the PC is a good machine, but the Griots is a better unit. Much smoother and much more power than the PC. If you have a higher budget, take a look at the Flex 3401 or Rupes Bigfoot 15.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A DA is the way to go for detailing beginners. You can't mess up your paint with a DA. ChemicalGuys.com always have good prices with their polishers along with their products.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just bought the black wax and will try it out later this afternoon. Will definitely look into the DA polishers for the long run. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SPH-L720

1 - 14 of 14 Posts