Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some on Ebay. I saw these in black on a Tundra and really like the look. Anyone running these? I don't know if I should buy these new and just have powder coated black as it seems to only come in alloy. I am just a little worried about how well the paint will hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Did you want them in black? If you got some stock alloy you could pick your color and if you wanted it all coated or just part.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you want them in black? If you got some stock alloy you could pick your color and if you wanted it all coated or just part.
Not sure I want them in a flat black or semi gloss. But black yes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would powdercoat rim's don't do the cheap methods.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is how they look on this truck. Messaged him about them but have not heard back from him yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would powdercoat rim's don't do the cheap methods.
Powder coat would hold up well enough? If I was to purchase them new and then powder coat them what steps would I have to take before repainting.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Powder coat would hold up well enough? If I was to purchase them new and then powder coat them what steps would I have to take before repainting.
Thanks
Powder coat hold's up very well vs Paint it doesn't chip near as bad. I have that on My Highlanders E and G mesh grill and it look's great. I also had my old Tundra rim's done in smoke and they still look as good when it was painted up. I'll tell you what Powder is the way to good because it last a long time and less work to clean.

Powdercoat step's they do My friend is the shop manager for Atlanta Powdercoater's (atl) he does all my work.

here's my bike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks
Powder coat hold's up very well vs Paint it doesn't chip near as bad. I have that on My Highlanders E and G mesh grill and it look's great. I also had my old Tundra rim's done in smoke and they still look as good when it was painted up. I'll tell you what Powder is the way to good because it last a long time and less work to clean.

Powdercoat step's they do My friend is the shop manager for Atlanta Powdercoater's (atl) he does all my work.

here's my bike

Great to hear. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Seems a waste to powder coat new wheels. Some good used ones would save you money. These wheels are not likely to get curbed so even a good paint would hold up. And if you paint, you could just change up the color every year or two. If you are not likely to want to change, then powder coat will last longer and it can be removed and recolored if you want a change.
I am interested as I have a set of these wheels that I haven't installed as every time I come up with the cash for new rubber, some big expense always comes up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems a waste to powder coat new wheels. Some good used ones would save you money. These wheels are not likely to get curbed so even a good paint would hold up. And if you paint, you could just change up the color every year or two. If you are not likely to want to change, then powder coat will last longer and it can be removed and recolored if you want a change.
I am interested as I have a set of these wheels that I haven't installed as every time I come up with the cash for new rubber, some big expense always comes up.
Yes I started looking on ebay for used ones. All the ones I've come across have curb rash on them. Wondering if I would be able to repair the curb rash on the used ones?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
How much have you seen them for? There was a set with really rough coating for sale several months ago that I was thinking of getting. That was until I figured I should first get tires before a second set of wheels that I may never use.
I already have A/T's on 18" alloys and snow tires on the original styled steel

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much have you seen them for? There was a set with really rough coating for sale several months ago that I was thinking of getting. That was until I figured I should first get tires before a second set of wheels that I may never use.
I already have A/T's on 18" alloys and snow tires on the original styled steel
I have seen them floating around here and there between $100 and $150 per wheel . New best price I have found was for $208 a wheel but then shipping on top.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Love the color of your ride KP7, we had an 05 in that color. Didn't show dirt at all.

Personally, allow would look better than black. Black very unimaginative.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love the color of your ride KP7, we had an 05 in that color. Didn't show dirt at all.

Personally, allow would look better than black. Black very unimaginative.
Thanks..... I have been kicking the alloy, chrome and black wheel thing around for awhile. At first I really did not like black at all but I saw these wheels in black on another tundra and really like the look with the specific tire he had. Here it is. Keep in mind with the silver on my truck the black would go well with the other black accents I believe. Who knows could be chrome tomorrow :frowning:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts