Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is currently in the news and I was wondering if anyone has noticed the black boxes on their Tundra's and where are they. What year did they start installing them? and starting in what year?

Thanks

Justin Hyde | Motoramic – Fri, Dec 7, 2012 12:53 PM EST

...Federal auto safety officials today proposed a new rule requiring black boxes -- data recorders that capture the moments before and after a crash -- in all new U.S. cars and trucks. Such recorders already come standard in most new vehicles....

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it will require all new U.S. vehicles to have black boxes by Sept. 1, 2014, noting that 96 percent of 2013 models already come with them standard....

But the boxes -- typically installed out of sight -- remain a mystery to most car owners and a privacy concern to many. States have set a panoply of laws governing who can access the data stored in a black box; some allow law enforcement agencies to do so at an accident scene without a warrant....

In a few high-profile crashes, black box data has been used to contradict the driver's explanation for a crash....

While automakers have asked NHTSA to clarify privacy concerns in any new rule, it will likely fall to Congress to decide who gets to talk to the spy in your dashboard.

·
Registered
697 Posts
They can and are used in a court of law if ordered to be looked at. Here in San Antonio it was used to prove a teen was guilty . The kid was racing then hit a truck and kill a person in his vehicle . The teen was put way for a long time .

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know what the EDR does, I've let DPS officers come in our storage yard and pull them from wrecked vehicles (none where Tundra's). What I want to know is where is it located and what would happen if you disconnect it?

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I know my 07 CM has it. Toyota doesn't like to release info unless it helps them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts