Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking the family for a trip to Telluride to check out black bear pass. Would love to do it in the Tundra and actually see what this beast is capable of off pavement. Had a buddy that did it a long time ago and have done some research. Looks very tight in some sections and has some steep switchbacks. Just looking on some feedback from anyone that has done it or been on the trail recently. Pretty much would I be out of my mind to attempt it in the Tundra. Truck has 295 Nitto Trails. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
507 Posts
How about a place that isn't as tight and has a lake at the top of the trail? Not to mention wheeling for days and of course it's beautiful. Check out north empire/bill Moore lake.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do thanks for the recommendation. That was my biggest concern was the size of the tundra and how tight some of those switchbacks look.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did it in 2010 with my Jeep JK. Some of the trails are tight and I don't think the Tundra would be suitable for those types of trails. The Tundra is too big :) Those trails are mostly Jeep trails

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Yeah I was mostly just worried about the width of the Tundra. Will have to check out some other trails. I know there are a ton in the area.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wheel kangaroos all day.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
It can be done.

How much do you want to pucker and buff out?

There are some trails in the area, none I would run in my Tundra, but absolutely in my Bronco or my old Jeep.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I been in and out of Lake City all my life, personally I think its the prettiest place on Gods green earth. My 4runner doesnt have a problem goin over engineer pass but never went down towards Telluride. That being said I aaaaalllways been curious if a tundra would make it up there, im gonna follow this post pretty close =)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
861 Posts
Durango used to be home and I did Black Bear a couple of years ago with my buddy in his FJ Cruiser that is outfitted for this stuff. There were a couple of moments where my hand was on the door release ready to jump if necessary but overall it wasn't too bad. I was either too stupid to know any better or trusted him a lot. I did video my last will and testament when we were at the top...

Even in his FJ there were some really tight switchbacks that required multiple turns and reverses-that's where I had the most concern as it seemed like the front wheels were right on the edge of the drop. The steps is considered the toughest part, but I didn't think those were too bad as everyone prepped me for worse.

Would I do it my Tundra TRD with Michelin LTX MS2's? Not unless I had to. If I had better tires I'd think about it, but it would take a lot more turns and precision for the switchbacks than how the short wheelbase of the FJ did it...and with the weight distribution being light in the back end...I just don't know if there's enough control for me to feel really confident doing it.

If you really are experienced with this kind of 4 wheeling and your Tundra is set up for it then it might be a go, it will just require more patience and time. I do know people who've done it in pick ups but it's not the preferred vehicle...

There's only one pretty tight area width wise that I remember so that shouldn't be an issue. There are tour operators that run some military style trucks through there that are pretty good size.

I can post of picture of the view if you'd...It's an amazing vista and even better in person.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wheel kangaroos all day.
Or maybe a kangaroo in a titan!!!
lol

It can be done.

How much do you want to pucker and buff out?

There are some trails in the area, none I would run in my Tundra, but absolutely in my Bronco or my old Jeep.
here's his truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k0wJPVtOZQ

and here's his run on bb pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pOEdenj3Y&list=UUze7AGsevB06pjZ34jA5c8w&index=4

one thing to note is that the tundra has a longer wheelbase, but it has a better turning radius than the titan. Also he has a 2.5" level kit and a standard rear locker.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Durango used to be home and I did Black Bear a couple of years ago with my buddy in his FJ Cruiser that is outfitted for this stuff. There were a couple of moments where my hand was on the door release ready to jump if necessary but overall it wasn't too bad. I was either too stupid to know any better or trusted him a lot. I did video my last will and testament when we were at the top...
Nice to meet a fellow durangotang ;) Graduated from Fort Lewis in 08'

Been there, never wheeled it, there are a TON of trails up there that would be more suitable for a full-size and just as beautiful. I would NOT recommend it in a full-size if you haven't wheeled before.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did it in my 4 dr 6ft bed tacoma. Tight as sh$%. Only had trouble on two of the switch backs. I mean dirt was breaking away from the edge of the trail. Glad I had the Super Charger on there!! jk

I would NOT recommend doing it in a Tundra. I can tell you now your family will not be in the car with you on the tight switchbacks. lol You want to go do something challeging and freaky. Go Do Red Cone or Webster Pass, Radical Hill!

Awesome trail though!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have ridden over Black Bear Pass ( as a passenger) both ways in an ancient Chevy Suburban 4X4 !!! Tight turns were nothin' for this guy behind the wheel !! He was a four wheelin' GOD !!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree...it can be done and it depends on the condition, but it wouldn't be a fun family excursion...

Most who graduate from the Fort don't make it out of Durango...at least it seems that way...I hear it's really hot and dry right now...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts