Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back home off of vacation and I got a smoking deal from a member(RyteSyde) fellow Texan on a set of Bilstein adjustable struts , anyway they are going on tomorrow and was wondering which notch should I go? Thinking middle which is 2" or top which is 2.5. I do tow and haul feed to my hunting ranch, JUST CAN'T DECIDE.....:confused:

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is what I was thinking, but what if I decide to add a front replacement bumper, which weighs more then factory. Still Middle?

Thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Glad they got there safe. I would start on middle as well. You can always go up if needed but the ride will be a bit stiffer.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was what I was thinking, but just didn't want to do it all over again, because of realigning the front end. More Money! I just wanted to make sure. when I go to a bigger tire 305/55/20 will it need the extra .5?

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Go with the middle and it should be completely level and still give a decent ride, if u still think u need some more height just get a cpl shims from coachbuilder. But u can put the coilovers on without loosening your lca

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Ryte why did you get rid of your Bilsteins? Are you going down or up!?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got them on and put them in the second notch, just have not had time to get pictures yet. The ride did not change and the truck looks good! I think this is how they should come form the factory. I am very pleased with the look and ride. Thanks to Ryte for the bilsteins. I promise I will post pictures......

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
The adjustables were sitting in my garage, unopened, doing nothing. They were one of those hasty purchases where your mind changes while they're being shipped, and I just sat on them. He was set on getting them, wanted to save some $, I had them so I gave him the Texas discount.

As far as what I'm going to do, I STILL CAN'T DECIDE DAMNIT. Now I'm back on lifting via spindles route. Another local here has a 7" BDS I'll take a spin in to see what I think. Ima trade him for a supercharged ride :D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Goin up!

The adjustables were sitting in my garage, unopened, doing nothing. They were one of those hasty purchases where your mind changes while they're being shipped, and I just sat on them. He was set on getting them, wanted to save some $, I had them so I gave him the Texas discount.

As far as what I'm going to do, I STILL CAN'T DECIDE DAMNIT. Now I'm back on lifting via spindles route. Another local here has a 7" BDS I'll take a spin in to see what I think. Ima trade him for a supercharged ride :D
My vote is you go UP! Even if its just 3-7" :D The view is better!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
agreed. I drove the wife's car while the SC was being installed and man did it suck being low. That's what put me back on to lifting it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put them on at the highest setting (2.5") and it measures perfectly level (39" from ground to wheel well) and looks great! the ride isn't very stiff either, at least not compared to the factory shocks at 110,000 miles. Overall I am pleased.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Go with the middle and it should be completely level and still give a decent ride, if u still think u need some more height just get a cpl shims from coachbuilder. But u can put the coilovers on without loosening your lca

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mine are all the way up and it is level. I used 5100 rears as well.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought of putting them all the way to the top, but one of the members said put it on the middle and if need a little more (which makes since) get the CB spacers and add to it that way you don't max out the shock and sacrifice the ride. I wanted a little rack because of towing and hauling feed to my hunting ranch.

I think the CD spacers can add .5" per spacer and you have the room to add 2 per side.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Top with coachbuilder +2 shackles in the rear

·
Registered
698 Posts
I also went with my 5100's on the top setting and glad I did... as far as rough ride, I don't feel it... and well um it's a truck not a car lol ( not trying to start a flame going just have fun )

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you put them on yourself or did you have a shop do it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Taylo1; I had mine installed in the middle because of several reasons you mentioned and what I read here that the top setting became pretty harsh. The middle setting was fine. After a few thousand miles, I wanted to use a slightly bigger tire, so I had the 5100's adjusted to the highest setting. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride in the middle and the top settings are identical. I have experienced both settings and the ride is the same! I know you landed on the middle setting but just in case you consider going to the top setting later, the ride is the same!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did you put them on yourself or did you have a shop do it?

If that question was for me.. Then yes myself and a friend with the right tools did it in his driveway... Two people are advised but I'm sure it could/has been done by one person... Be sure to watch how it goes together when you disassemble the shock assembly so you see where all the shims/rubber seats go...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts