Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks,

Do my shocks need to be replaced?

Background; 2017 Tundra TRD with Trail-Tuned Bilstein shocks (yellow) with 52,000 miles.

Now what led to me asking this question is I plan on getting a 3/1 leveling kit installed and when inquiring in doing so, the local shop recommended I was meeting the manufacturers mileage replacement.

Therefore, in lieu of a lift I plan on going ahead with Bilsteins 5100s for $1000 (install, parts, alignment etc) to achieve 1) shock replacement & 2) get a 2.3” lift.

With that said, do my shocks need to be replaced? If not, should I proceed with a RC 3/1 lift for $575?

Thoughts, suggestions and/or opinions?

My ultimate end goal is to achieve a 3” lift so to speak whether on original shocks or the 5100s.

TIA.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Alright folks,

Background; 2017 Tundra TRD with Trail-Tuned Bilstein shocks (yellow) with 52,000 miles.

Now what led to me asking this question is I plan on getting a 3/1 leveling kit installed and when inquiring in doing so, the local shop recommended I was meeting the manufacturers mileage replacement.

Therefore, in lieu of a lift I plan on going ahead with Bilsteins 5100s for $1000 (install, parts, alignment etc) to achieve 1) shock replacement & 2) get a 2.3” lift.

With that said, do my shocks need to be replaced? If not, should I proceed with a RC 3/1 lift for $575?

Thoughts, suggestions and/or opinions?

My ultimate end goal is to achieve a 3” lift so to speak whether on original shocks or the 5100s.

TIA.
Unless you do a lot of hard off roading, your shocks should be fine at 52K. I've got 12.5 years and 84K on mine and have done a fair amount of hard of- roading with the TRD yellow Bilsteins and I am just starting to think about new shocks.

You can test your shocks by seeing how the rebound responds by breaking and taking some bumps. It should absorb and return to level quickly. Really just depends on what demands you put on your truck, but considering the places I've taken my "stock" TRD, I've been impressed by their longevity.

I don't know jack about lifts but it sounds like you don't want to go any higher than the middle setting on the 5100's....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to add that I have a 2011 Rock Warrior with 90K miles. I just had my truck in for servicing at the dealership. I asked the Service Rep about it. They took it for a short test drive to include some speed bumps. Came back and suggested I wait until I get up to around 150K miles. He said they normally recommend we don't even think about it until then.
Most of my miles are highway but I am up in the mountains during the summer camping and fall hunting season. Nothing really rough but I don't baby it either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Alright folks,

I did the Bilsteins and they are great. But in addition to them I highly recommend Dura Bump stops. Unreal how the truck rides in the rougher stuff, night and day. Check out the tiny bump stops on the truck and tell me how hard it hits when it bottoms out. Dura Bumps is like butter, seriously. And yes they are a little pricey, but I wouldn't do a suspension again without them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a Low Range Offroad 3/1 lift level kit for about 140,000 miles. When I went to change I had one front and one rear that the seals had given up and were leaking. I removed the front level kit leaving kit. I left the rear blocks and I installed the 5100s all around. I installed the fronts on the third notch and I also added a Toy-Tec 1/4 inch spacer. This resulted in a front 3 inch lift that was easy to install unlike the 3 inch spacer that was very hard to install and remove. So you probably do not need your shocks changed yet. But the 5100s are an easy way to get that front end level. Also, crawl under the truck and look at the shocks. Move the boots around and look for any sign of oil leaking around the seals. Oil attracts dust and dirt it is fairly easy to see but you usually need to move the boots around.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2010 with 126k miles. Still original blue/yellow shocks. 2” lift was on it when I bought it used seven years ago. Off-road some and tow about half the time. Front driver shock started leaking about a year ago. New suspension this next week!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts