Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing Bilstein 6112/5160 voids the factory warranty on Tundra? Anyone familiar with that situation? I just don't want dealership giving me run around about me having aftermarket suspension and that whatever problem I have won't be covered.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nothing you do legally voids your warranty unless they can show that the mod caused the problem. Obviously if your 6112s fail, that isn't warrantied by Toyota. They could also have a reasonable case to deny warranty claims for other front drivetrain or suspension parts if you go over the 2" lift that a Pro has. Just common sense there. Lifting outside stock parameters *does* put more stress on CVs, balljoints, etc.

What your dealership will do or try to do, I have no clue.

Reactions: V2009

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
^Great point that often gets overlooked...what the dealership does and what they should do can be different things. If they legally shouldn’t deny your warranty claim but they do, you now have a headache on your hands.

And I wouldn’t say your always safe warranty-wise with an aftermarket 2”...my dealership won’t align the truck if it has aftermarket lifted suspension whatsoever, 6112s (not at highest setting) included. Im sure there are dealerships that wouldn’t have a problem doing the alignment.

Pretty much a good rule of thumb is this: if something fails that can be remotely tied to the aftermarket part, it’s void. I mean, didn’t the other day someone say their rear diff blew up and the dealership told him it was because of the tires being larger sized than factory. Wasn’t he only running 295s over the stock 275s?

Lifting impacts, or can be attributed to, a lot of drivetrain components besides motor and trans. Really comes down to if your dealer is mod friendly or not. And then hope you never move or have to use a different dealer or that you can find another mod friendly dealer.

Reactions: V2009

·
Registered
500 Posts
If they are used to change the factory ride height...then they *can* void a lot of powertrain warranty coverage when they feel like it.

Otherwise, replacing shocks and struts does not void anything except of course the warranty of the original shock and strut.

·
Registered
289 Posts
something something google Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Obviously aftermarket stuff isn't covered, but you're not getting warranty voided based on non-related items. If you change your shocks, that's on you, but that has nothing to do with say your electrical system, motor, etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They can and might deny your warranty claim for suspension related items if you have an after market lift. Also as mentioned they might deny a drive train claim if you have bigger tires. A lot depends on your dealership. My dealership put on my lift and also sales a lot of lifted trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.