Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1844 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you using stock UCAs?
Yes stock uca's. The spindles should not have changed the suspension geometry that much if any at all. So, with alot of trucks on here having less than 3" of lift from 6112, most did not need aftermarket UCAs. My thought was that as long as my 6112s stay around 2" (3rd groove from bottom), i shiuld be fine..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you happen to mount the spring collar upside-down? I have seen one or two people do this on the 5100's - even a shop that was installing them for a customer did it. It netted an additional 2" of static ride because of the increased preload, but gave a crummy ride...

Here are couple pics of the struts. The collars' curvature on the bottom side and they sit on and encompass the stainless steel "c" ring, i dont know the correct term for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you happen to mount the spring collar upside-down? I have seen one or two people do this on the 5100's - even a shop that was installing them for a customer did it. It netted an additional 2" of static ride because of the increased preload, but gave a crummy ride...
Here are couple pics

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here are couple pics of the struts. The collars' curvature on the bottom side and they sit on and encompass the stainless steel "c" ring, i dont know the correct term for that.
Sorry all.. all my pics been showing up sideway.. i try rotating them before i posted but same outcome

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is because of the 2WD.

When I had mine installed I was surprised how much lift I got.
Not sure why there is such a difference in 2WD and 4WD.
So whatever lift you should get, add about a 1/2 inch on a 2WD..:)

Also my ride was a little stiffer than I wanted with the 6112s.
But after 5 months, it seems to be smoothing a little.
Also I think I'm just getting used to it..

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I know this is ****ing crazy but ...hear me out and feel free to toss advices my way. My truck is 2wd, i had Maxtrac spindles on ,then 6112 struts on 2nd slot from the top. Here are measurements from stock until 6112s:
36 1/4” stock (measured from ground thru center of wheels to bottom of Bushwackers)
39 1/2” both sides after Maxtrac spindles
43 1/2" after 6112s on 3rd groove from the bottom (1.9” average lift per Bilstein)
As the pics show, it's pretty ****ed up, i can't even drive the damn thing... struts assemled correctly... 4" lift wtf...?
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can combine lifts to achieve 5.5" of lift without doing a bracket lift.

Maybe @dirtydeeds can lend his expertise?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can combine lifts to achieve 5.5" of lift without doing a bracket lift.

Maybe @dirtydeeds can lend his expertise?

There is a spindle lift kit out there (Maxtrac is the one i used) that use spacers on top of stock struts to achieve 2" more in addition to 3.5" from the spindles. I don't like the idea of spacers so i decided to use the 6112 struts for that additional 2". It turned out wayyy more than what i wanted... not sure what to for now.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
There is a spindle lift kit out there (Maxtrac is the one i used) that use spacers on top of stock struts to achieve 2" more in addition to 3.5" from the spindles. I don't like the idea of spacers so i decided to use the 6112 struts for that additional 2". It turned out wayyy more than what i wanted... not sure what to for now.

I would drop the 6112's on the bottom setting. See how that works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this is ****ing crazy but ...hear me out and feel free to toss advices my way. My truck is 2wd, i had Maxtrac spindles on ,then 6112 struts on 2nd slot from the top. Here are measurements from stock until 6112s:
36 1/4” stock (measured from ground thru center of wheels to bottom of Bushwackers)
43 1/2" after 6112s on 3rd groove from the bottom (1.9” average lift per Bilstein)
As the pics show, it's pretty ****ed up, i can't even drive the damn thing... struts assemled correctly... 4" lift wtf...?
Hey, did you get a alignment after you installed the 6112's. If not it will have a weird feeling, until you get a alignment done.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,493 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is because of the 2WD.

When I had mine installed I was surprised how much lift I got.
Not sure why there is such a difference in 2WD and 4WD.
So whatever lift you should get, add about a 1/2 inch on a 2WD..:)

Also my ride was a little stiffer than I wanted with the 6112s.
But after 5 months, it seems to be smoothing a little.
Also I think I'm just getting used to it..
This makes me glad I chose the bottom setting, I was debating on whether or not till move up one notch. I haven't installed them yet, I'm still waiting on the rear rubber bushings/cushions that I had to order from Toyota.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, did you get a alignment after you installed the 6112's. If not it will have a weird feeling, until you get a alignment done.
No i did not even make it out of the neighborhood. The camber was way to much(+) and toes, haha well look like those on a pinguin. The height gain from just in addition to the spindle that put everything out of wack:)

·
Registered
13 Posts

I did 6112's on the top setting on my 2WD. I went from 36 1/2 inches to 41 1/2 inches. This included a tire size change from 275/65/18 to 295/70/18 which accounts for a little over an inch increase in height. I installed Total Chaos uppers at the same time and did not have any alignment issues. I was surprised at the amount of lift. I sent photos to Keith at Dirty Deeds and he did not see any problems with the installation. It appears that 2WD's get more of a lift for some reason. Maybe the weight of the 4WD system...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did 6112's on the top setting on my 2WD. I went from 36 1/2 inches to 41 1/2 inches. This included a tire size change from 275/65/18 to 295/70/18 which accounts for a little over an inch increase in height. I installed Total Chaos uppers at the same time and did not have any alignment issues. I was surprised at the amount of lift. I sent photos to Keith at Dirty Deeds and he did not see any problems with the installation. It appears that 2WD's get more of a lift for some reason. Maybe the weight of the 4WD system...

Yup. It looks that way. I had the choice between 5100s and 6112s. Obvious choice when you read through all the comments on this forum and see the benefit on the long run. It's what we do and then post our successes and failures for the next guy that i am grateful for. So thank you to those that comtributed. :beerchug:

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,493 Posts
All I can really tell you is I got almost exactly what Bilstein predicts. With every truck being slightly different, just go by what Bilstein says:

exactly^

Toyota has a ton of options when it comes to which spring rate you truck could've had. These options affect what the factory ride height is. So the Bilsteins put EVERY truck at the same ride height, so the amount of lift that you get is dependent upon where your truck started out from.
I got 2.3 with 1 CB shim on the second lowest setting where that chart reads I should have gotten 1.8, 1.3 + .5 for the shim with my 2WD.
But that is OK, I like it at 2.3.
I'm kinda glad it isn't at 1.8..:)

Truck now sits perfectly level.
Still need some CB 2+ shackles this summer.

I'm also getting more acclimated to the 6112s.
Still stiffer and choppier than I wanted.
I'm either getting used to it or is softening up a little..:D
After reading through some of these installs and then jacking up my front end 2 inches now I kinda wish I would have had the shim installed for the drivers side and I'm thinking of going up a notch. @dirtydeeds if I want to go up one notch from the bottom I just need to compress the spring and move the clip correct? I haven't done the front install yet so these things are still in the box in the garage. Dang it!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
After reading through some of these installs and then jacking up my front end 2 inches now I kinda wish I would have had the shim installed for the drivers side and I'm thinking of going up a notch. @dirtydeeds if I want to go up one notch from the bottom I just need to compress the spring and move the clip correct? I haven't done the front install yet so these things are still in the box in the garage. Dang it!!!

Fixed it for you @dirtydeeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
After reading through some of these installs and then jacking up my front end 2 inches now I kinda wish I would have had the shim installed for the drivers side and I'm thinking of going up a notch. @Dritydeds if I want to go up one notch from the bottom I just need to compress the spring and move the clip correct? I haven't done the front install yet so these things are still in the box in the garage. Dang it!!!
Have you installed the shocks yet?

If not, you can still add the shim at install. To move the perch up one notch, rent a spring compressor from AutoZone to compress the spring until the top plate is not under load. Remove the top plate and slide the spring and perch out of the way. Use a flathead screwdriver to move lock ring up one groove. Put spring and perch back, replace top plate.

1501 - 1520 of 1844 Posts