Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed Bilstein 6112/5160 combo and the front sway bar linkages are rubbing the oversized 6112 shock tubes. I attached a few photos here, anyone else have this issue? I know lots of folks run their trucks without a sway bar but I live in the mountains 20mi up a windy canyon and would prefer to keep my planted feel at 60mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
Dayaum. Not cool imo.

FWIW, there are spacers out to space the sway bar mount down. My suspension kit came with one. Not sure if it would help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dayaum. Not cool imo.

FWIW, there are spacers out to space the sway bar mount down. My suspension kit came with one. Not sure if it would help.
The Bilstein kit cam with jounce bumper drops but that's it. I'll contact Bilstein today and report back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just spoke with Bilstein and sent them some photos. They think my Caster at 1.50/1.60deg is causing the sway bar linkage to rub the shock body. But Im still waiting for a product manager to review my photos before giving me specific advice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What notch is the spring set at? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
did you do the install? was the sway bar tightened with the truck on the ground supporting the weight of the truck?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you do the install? was the sway bar tightened with the truck on the ground supporting the weight of the truck?
I did the install myself. The sway bar was torqued on the ground. Are you suggesting there might be some preload on the sway bar? I dont think so but I suppose I could try those bolts. Just installed a TRD Pro skid so thats going to be a pain.

I removed the decal stickers from the shocks and Bilstein is saying perhaps its glue left over but to me it looks like something is regularly rubbing there. Ive wiped it clean a few times and still see the rubbing.

I even heard a loud pop from the front end pulling into my driveway, not sure if this is related. Still keeping an eye on it..

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
My kit is not Stein. I was just throwing out there that it came with a sway spacer, in-case you get nowhere.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
popping noises are usually from the lca not being torqued to spec. maybe its loose causing misalignment and or moving. do both sides (shocks) look the same? lca must be torqued with the weight of the truck on them as well.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I did the install myself. The sway bar was torqued on the ground. Are you suggesting there might be some preload on the sway bar? I dont think so but I suppose I could try those bolts. Just installed a TRD Pro skid so thats going to be a pain.

I removed the decal stickers from the shocks and Bilstein is saying perhaps its glue left over but to me it looks like something is regularly rubbing there. Ive wiped it clean a few times and still see the rubbing.

I even heard a loud pop from the front end pulling into my driveway, not sure if this is related. Still keeping an eye on it..

I don't have the rubbing problem but I do have a loud pop noise pulling into driveway for years now even before the bilstein 6112 with king coilovers..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
popping noises are usually from the lca not being torqued to spec. maybe its loose causing misalignment and or moving. do both sides (shocks) look the same? lca must be torqued with the weight of the truck on them as well.
I never touched the LCA, but I did remove/reinstall the two 22mm lower ball joint bolts when installing the struts. I wasnt able to torque these with the wheel on because I didnt have enough room to fit my torque wrench and socket between the bolt heads and the wheels (even 20" wheels). I torqued these to 220ft/lb with the frame on jack stands. But it could be loose from something else, Ill check the torque on those bolts.

Bilstein suggested I cover the rub mark with blue tape and see if it's still happening. We'll see about that today.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I never touched the LCA, but I did remove/reinstall the two 22mm lower ball joint bolts when installing the struts. I wasnt able to torque these with the wheel on because I didnt have enough room to fit my torque wrench and socket between the bolt heads and the wheels (even 20" wheels). I torqued these to 220ft/lb with the frame on jack stands. But it could be loose from something else, Ill check the torque on those bolts.

Bilstein suggested I cover the rub mark with blue tape and see if it's still happening. We'll see about that today.
the tape is a good idea for proof or if your unsure. the lower ball joint bolts can be tightened with the truck in the air so that should be all good. double chec the lower cam bolts as the alignment guys would have played with these 212ft/lbs i believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed Bilstein 6112/5160 combo and the front sway bar linkages are rubbing the oversized 6112 shock tubes. I attached a few photos here, anyone else have this issue? I know lots of folks run their trucks without a sway bar but I live in the mountains 20mi up a windy canyon and would prefer to keep my planted feel at 60mph.
Hi,
I'm having the same issue with my sway bar linkage touching the 6112's. Any solutions? I've included sway bar drop spacers but they did nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts