Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Got my 5160s installed this morning. That was a pain. Thought I could install the top mount first then push the shaft up and into position. Yea....not a chance while lying on the ground under the truck. Used Jaj's method and jacked it up as high as I could then used a ratchet strap to compress the shock after installing the bottom mount. Those are some stiff bastages.

One question...I bought the metal Bilstein brackets for the reservoir. Did anybody use loctite on those bolts? I didn't put any on and just tightened them down but I'd sure hate for it to come loose one day and my reservoir is hanging down and bouncing off of stuff.

Also, I did a little test between the stock black KYB shock and the 5160. It takes the KYB 11 seconds to fully expand from a fully compressed position. It takes the 5160 6 seconds to do the same thing. Not sure what that means but might be useful to someone down the road.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Got my 5160s installed this morning. That was a pain. Thought I could install the top mount first then push the shaft up and into position. Yea....not a chance while lying on the ground under the truck. Used Jaj's method and jacked it up as high as I could then used a ratchet strap to compress the shock after installing the bottom mount. Those are some stiff bastages.

One question...I bought the metal Bilstein brackets for the reservoir. Did anybody use loctite on those bolts? I didn't put any on and just tightened them down but I'd sure hate for it to come loose one day and my reservoir is hanging down and bouncing off of stuff.

Also, I did a little test between the stock black KYB shock and the 5160. It takes the KYB 11 seconds to fully expand from a fully compressed position. It takes the 5160 6 seconds to do the same thing. Not sure what that means but might be useful to someone down the road.
I used blue Loctite on the billet clamps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, will the 6112/5160 combo give a leveled stance? Ive read that some experiences a slight difference on the front driver side (seems to sit lower) that the other sides.

Would anyone recommending changing my ucas to some camburgs?
I knkw the upgraded ones will give a bit better performance up front with the 6112s as well as more wheel travel. I do mild to extreme offroading every once in a while so im going for a better setup.

Im planning to swap out my stock shocks with the bilsteins, maybe change my upper control arm, install upgraded rotors, trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, fuel mavericks 20" with +1 offset wrapped with some open country 295/55/20.
Also any recommendation on camber adjusters or i should be ok without?
I iwork n the oil n gas industry with a 14 days on 7 days off schedule. My plan is to do all of this in one day on my week off after i get some rest. Would hate to keep going back under upgrading parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
So, will the 6112/5160 combo give a leveled stance? Ive read that some experiences a slight difference on the front driver side (seems to sit lower) that the other sides.

Would anyone recommending changing my ucas to some camburgs?
I knkw the upgraded ones will give a bit better performance up front with the 6112s as well as more wheel travel. I do mild to extreme offroading every once in a while so im going for a better setup.

Im planning to swap out my stock shocks with the bilsteins, maybe change my upper control arm, install upgraded rotors, trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, fuel mavericks 20" with +1 offset wrapped with some open country 295/55/20.
Also any recommendation on camber adjusters or i should be ok without?
I iwork n the oil n gas industry with a 14 days on 7 days off schedule. My plan is to do all of this in one day on my week off after i get some rest. Would hate to keep going back under upgrading parts.

I had my 6112(top setting)/5160's installed before adding +2 shackles. With just the shocks it was almost dead level. Around .25-.50 higher in the back. Note that was with 1/8th of a tank of gas.

Added before and after. 6112(top setting/5160 no shackles.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my 6112(top setting)/5160's installed before adding +2 shackles. With just the shocks it was almost dead level. Around .25-.50 higher in the back. Note that was with 1/8th of a tank of gas.

Preshaydit man. I dont mind that little rake that it'll have if thats the case

·
Registered
433 Posts

I'm doing the same set up, with #2 shackles

How much rake is there in the back with the #2 shackles and do you have any pics with the shackles on!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anybody know where i can find a new bushing kit for the rears? I got my 6112's installed but need new bushings to have the 5160s installed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anyone running 5160s with greater than 2" lift shackles or leafs?

I have the 5160s and Toytec shackles set at max (1.5") and 6112s in the front on max setting and the rear isnt as high as I'd like. I run a Snugtop and routinely have a few hundred pounds in the bed and it's still got 1" rake but Id like a bit more. Thinking about adding Toytec Add-A-Leaf and maybe dialing the shackles down to 1" if necessary.

The Bilstein 5160s are supposed to be for 2" or less but my math says I'd be at 3" if I went max on both the AAL and Shackles.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts