Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever stacked a 3" leveling spacer on top of some Bilstein 5100's? Wondering what kind of problem it could possibly have.
I've already had the kit on the truck which has 110,000 miles so not really wanting to go all out on a suspension upgrade. But I need new shocks anyways.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
It sounds like a great idea if you want to ruin your ride and break parts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jaj23 then what shocks do you suggest? Running stock right now.

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
Um, I have ome shocks with a 4" bracket lift. Ride is atrocious but has held up very well. Billys are no where near the quality of the aussie made shox though. 25k miles n counting

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bilstein 5100's plus 3" spacer. Good idea or not?

Tundrakountry- I also have a steel bumper up front. And I would rather keep a decent ride to the truck.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Jaj23 then what shocks do you suggest? Running stock right now.
Depends on the amount of lift you want and the kind of ride you want. I recommend that you read several threads and learn as much as you can about lifts. There's a ton of good info on this site. I've read just about everything. I have a tight budget, so I'm doing OME 612s. I expect a little over 3" with a firm but comfortable ride...probably the best lift for the money. I chose not to go with 5100s because they only get about 2.75" on the highest setting.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is no shock made for a spacer lift. Get shocks that lift the truck and removed the spacers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mgtund I've had the spacers on the truck for 110,000 miles and don't want to dump a ton of money into it. Just looking for a good quality shock that won't break the bank and will run fine with the spacers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well what I'm saying is 5100s or pro runner ss don't break the bank and are better to use than a spacer.

If you are dead set on keeping the spacer then shock choice doesn't matter. Just go to rockauto and get the cheapest you like. Just DO NOT run a lift shock (like a 5100) with a spacer. If you run a spacer you have to run a stock shock. If you want bilstein get the 4600

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mgtund thanks. The reason I'm worried about going with only a straight shock set up like the 5100's is the steel bumper up front. I don't want the front to dip down. I would love to go with the full OME setup, but I can't justify putting the money into the truck when I'm not sure how much longer it'll be around.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What makes you think that your oem shocks with the 3 in spacer don't dip down?

The 5100 increase preload in the spring so that'll help fight the dipping down. If it does, it won't be by much, but you could always get coachbuilder shims that do 1/2 in of lift a piece. You can safely stack 2 if you need to on the 5100s.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My primo has his 08 tundra at close to 220K miles. I think he's only replaced a water pump and some seals. These trucks last forever.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't disagree that my oem's dip down, but I also feel like the spacer helps to offset that correct?

NachoFirme- mine must have been built on a Friday because I just had to replace the front differential.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
spacers are rarely ever a good idea....scratch that. IMHO, NEVER a good idea.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys if I went with 5100's or procomp prorunners would there be a problem if they were left at their stock level under the spacer?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Please just ditch the spacers and put on the 5100's or Pro Runners at the highest lift setting. It will give you plenty of lift, ride better and last longer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why waste money on those shocks if you won't use them as intended. They will not be better than stock of you want to keep the spacer.

If you want the spacer just go buy stock replacement shocks.

If you want better then ditch the spacer and get good shocks.

It's as simple as that

·
Registered
115 Posts
I suggest you run the 5100's at their top setting, that should get you really close to the same lift as the 3" spacer you've got now. A diff drop spacer is a good idea in my opinion.

If you want to keep the spacer, i suggest the 4600 series (OEM TRD off road) bilsteins. You might be OK with the 5100 on the lowest setting too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts