Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Bilstein 5100 Front

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ocotillo SR5 
#1 ·
I installed Bilstein's 5100 series shocks in the front of my 2013 DC 4x4 about 6 months ago. I used two Coachbuilder shims per side and set the shocks on the lowest lift amount. This netted 1.75" of lift.

I was initially slightly concerned that spacing the upper shock mount down about 1/2" would cause the shock to bottom out but the bump stops do their job. I left the boots off the shock in order to keep an eye on it and there is about 3/4" shaft that still hasn't been used.

I also measured wheel travel by taking the coil spring off and cycling the suspension because I couldn't find any data on here or other forums stating how much travel the truck would cycle with the slightly longer shocks vs. stock.

With the factory shocks and no coil it cycled about 9.5" of travel metal to metal (bumpstops removed also).

The Bilsteins cycled just over 11.1" of wheel travel metal to metal. With the bumps installed, the Bilsteins realistically cycle 10.0".

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My initial ride impression was that these shocks are FAR superior to the Tokicos that Toyota installs on these trucks from the factory. Off road, the control is much higher than before and on the freeway the truck no longer has that boat feeling from a serious lack of low speed damping. For my use though, the shocks still lack the damping power that I like in a shock and over larger G-out's the truck still bottomed. So two months ago I installed some Wheeler's SuperBumps to the front and I no longer have that problem.

For those that use their trucks offroad but are not prerunning Baja with them, I highly recommend the 5100 paired with Wheeler's SuperBumps. It is how the truck should have left the factory. Oh and FYI, I am running LT285/75R18 Toyo Open Country AT tires on stock SR5 wheels and they do not rub.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.