Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a tundra and found one at carmax and am waiting for it to arrive. It has 30k on it.

The vin specs says it’s tires are 18R255, I would like to get goodyear wrangler duratrac or similar.

The stock tires are probably about wore out anyway. Lol

I will have no idea on what kind/type of oil the previous owner used, I was thinking about changing it just for peace of mind.

I typically uses pennzoil or Mobil 1 since it’s easy to get.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
with 30k the oem Michelins will not be worn out , unless the PO drove the shait out of it .
Those oils are good , just use the spec 0-20 ( check your oil cap for data ) full synthetic

·
Registered
868 Posts
Eh, at 30k miles the stock Michelins may well be worn out… My takeoff tundra LTX AT2’s didn’t quite last 30k miles, but I replace my tires between 4 and 5/32’s tread depth. I don’t beat on my truck, but I do drive it everyday.

You have several tire sizes available but the most popular stock tire size is 275/65r18. I believe 255/70r18 was the other stock 18” tire size; about the same 32” height but a 10” wide tire instead of 11” wide like the 275/65. A 275/70r18 will usually fit, as will a 285/65; the former being a 33” tall tire with the same 11” width, the latter being about a 1/2” taller and wider than a stock tire. I have been exceptionally happy with my Cooper AT3 XLT and AT3 LT tires.

As for oil, use a good full synthetic. If you are inclined to do an extra oil change, you can clean out any buildup in the engine by changing the oil with any oil of proper grade, running it down the highway for an hour or two, then changing it and the filter out again for your nice synthetic stuff. The detergents in the interim okl will help clean the engine without harsh engine cleaners in a bottle.

Check the filler cap under the hood or look in the owners manual, but a 5w-20 or 0w-20 is typically recommended. I’ve been using Mobil 1 0w-20 for the entirety of my vehicles life, post Toyota Care. I like their newer Truck/SUV formulation as the engine seems a tad quieter than the advanced fuel economy version.

Reactions: MikeMcRN

·
Registered
2016 CrewMax SR5 4x4
10 Posts
Just a couple of notes I'll add...

- If you live in a warm/hot climate I would run 5W30 oil minimum. 0W20 shears down to a very low viscosity and auto makers only began to spec that oil for their own benefit. It helps them to reach CAFE scores that the government likes to see. Manuals from other countries show everything up to a 40 weight oil is acceptable, so I personally would never use anything less than a 5W30. I like the added protection.

- When I went from 275/65R18 stock tires to 275/70R18 tires my hand-calculated fuel economy immediately dropped 13%. And with gas prices continuing to climb, that hurts. And yes, I've checked my speedo using GPS to account for the difference in size.

- My 275/70R18 tires rub in the front behind the bumper and also in the rear at the splash guard. My wheels have a +18 offset. I would suggest sticking with factory wheels, this will help reduce rubbing.

Reactions: MikeMcRN

·
Registered
316 Posts
A official welcome for your first post...Any pics of the stock Rig?? My 08 stock tires were Michelins/ 275/65R/18....but quickly changed them to Falkens WP AT3...after my Toytec Coilovers lift... Been happy since and the ride is better than stock...also, any oil threads never gets old!!!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Clothing Breastplate Sleeve Gesture Armour

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been searching for a tundra and found one at carmax and am waiting for it to arrive. It has 30k on it.

The vin specs says it’s tires are 18R255, I would like to get goodyear wrangler duratrac or similar.

The stock tires are probably about wore out anyway. Lol

I will have no idea on what kind/type of oil the previous owner used, I was thinking about changing it just for peace of mind.

I typically uses pennzoil or Mobil 1 since it’s easy to get.

thanks for the help.
My 2008 CrewMax 4WD came to me with Toyo AT-IIs in 275-70-18 on stock alloy wheels, no rubbing. I just replaced those with Yokohama AT-Xs in 285-85-18, still on stock wheels, still no rubbing. Be prepared for availability issues and sticker shock on the new tires.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mobil One is a very good choice. You can go with factory recommended viscosity, but as WXman noted, consider 5W-30 in a warm climate. Personally, I run 0W-30 year-round in Wyoming. I get good oil reports thru Blackstone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a couple of notes I'll add...

- If you live in a warm/hot climate I would run 5W30 oil minimum. 0W20 shears down to a very low viscosity and auto makers only began to spec that oil for their own benefit. It helps them to reach CAFE scores that the government likes to see. Manuals from other countries show everything up to a 40 weight oil is acceptable, so I personally would never use anything less than a 5W30. I like the added protection.
I used to change the oil viscosity trying to give the engine the most protection I could get with Mobil 1 until recently. About a year ago I ran across a article written by a service tech I respect and he pointed out that the oil viscosity is critical to make the variable valve timing device work properly. To get the variable valve time to work properly you must use the viscosity recommened in the Owner's Manual and as shown on the oil filler cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts