Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Quick update-together with my brother we worked on it all day and just finished the front. Gonna tackle the rear in the AM.

I don't think I'm gonna be disappointed with it at all. It's a beast now.

Crappy iPhone pics for now. That's my brother standing beside it telling me it's after 9 and time to call it quits for the day. Lol

Attachments

Quick update-together with my brother we worked on it all day and just finished the front. Gonna tackle the rear in the AM.

I don't think I'm gonna be disappointed with it at all. It's a beast now.

Crappy iPhone pics for now. That's my brother standing beside it telling me it's after 9 and time to call it quits for the day. Lol
Now we're talking, looking great man! More PICS, More PICS!

Dude is that your garage? I would kill for a garage like that. So much room.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Now we're talking, looking great man! More PICS, More PICS!

Dude is that your garage? I would kill for a garage like that. So much room.
I'll take some good pics and get them posted up tomorrow.

I wish it was my garage too! It's a friend's garage that isn't used much so its perfect for this kind of project.

Thanks. My wife still says I should have gotten Gray but I am glad I picked this one.
There's plenty of grey trucks out there,not as many Pyrite's out there yet, you picked the right color!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Got it all together and now I have to wait until Tuesday afternoon to get the front end aligned. There are more shops around but it's the only guy I trust to do it right. Now I just need my shackles to finish the lift. Here's a couple more iPhone pics. I'll take some better ones when it's finished.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I was worried that the tires were gonna stick out a lot further. With the 18x9 +14mm wheels and 295/70r18 trail grapplers tread sticks out ~1" and maybe 1 3/4" to outer edge of sidewall. Bushwackers will easily cover them in the future.

Great job man. What was the biggest pain about installing the lift? What shocks are u using? What total inches? Sorry about the ??? Just looking at a lift in the future and always looking for options. Also what does the BDS shims do? Thanks

I'm glad to hear that. One less thing to buy. Lol. I forgot about that line but I remember seeing it now that you mention it. I had thought it was for if you have the storage box in a DC.

I live in Beckley now. Grew up in Shady. You?

I grew up in Wyoming Co, but live in Daniels now. That's a sweet looking ride ya got! I kinda wish I would've gotten a different color now, there's a ton of magnetic grey Tundras around Beckley. I'm hoping to have the BDS lift on mine within the next year.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Great job man. What was the biggest pain about installing the lift? What shocks are u using? What total inches? Sorry about the ??? Just looking at a lift in the future and always looking for options. Also what does the BDS shims do? Thanks
I don't mind the questions at all. The answers get a little windy though-

The biggest pain installing the lift was actually installing the BDS preload shims. It really wasn't too bad but I had never disassembled a coilover before and was nervous about it. I picked up a set of loaner coil spring compressors from Advance Auto and put one on each side and tried to keep them cranked an even amount as I went. I realized after the first one that it is best to go ahead and crank the springs down to about 3/4" of slack prior to removing the shock because the preload shim that goes beneath the lower spring perch takes up about 1/2" and you 'll want the extra clearance to get it back together easily. I have pictures of the disassembled coil over and the shim going back together but they're at home.

The BDS shims essentially compress the coil spring about 1/2" more than it normally is- this stiffens the front suspension keeping it from settling as much as it would normally. They don't actually lengthen the coilovers any. In my mind it is roughly the equivalent of an add-a-leaf in the rear other than the add a leaf actually adds its thickness to your ride height.

I am using the factory TRD Bilstein shocks up front and the Zone Nitro shocks in the rear.

I spent many hours comparing the Zone 5" lift and BDS 7" lift because I always research everything too much. They definitely use MOST of the same parts including part numbers matching- I could match the numbers on my parts to the parts numbers in the BDS parts list. If you compare the manuals side by side they are worded the same and use the EXACT same pictures. The instructions appear different because of additional steps and re-alignment of margins but they are 95% the exact same.

Differences I noticed between Zone 5" and BDS 7" by comparing my lift and the Installation Manuals-

Drop Brackets- BDS Brackets have a cool design. Without being able to compare the 2 side by side I have no idea if they are the exact same drop or not. I suspect they are the same because the steering knuckles are the same.
Coilover extension- these appear to be made of a different material between the two lifts. Again unsure of any difference in length between the 2.
Sway bar adapters- Zone lift uses brackets to drop the sway bar, BDS uses longer links.
Skid plate- BDS comes with a skid plate to cover front differential, Zone has none.
Preload shims- BDS comes with them and Zone does not- but you can order them from a BDS dealer.
Rear blocks- BDS has 4" and Zone has 3".
Warranty- BDS advertises heavily about their No BS, No fine print warranty. Zone basically has a manufacturers defect warranty. I wonder if a person could use the BDS warranty on Zone parts since they have the same numbers...interesting thought...but BDS probably requires some sort of proof of purchase since their warranty clearly states to the original purchaser.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I grew up in Wyoming Co, but live in Daniels now. That's a sweet looking ride ya got! I kinda wish I would've gotten a different color now, there's a ton of magnetic grey Tundras around Beckley. I'm hoping to have the BDS lift on mine within the next year.
Thanks! I've noticed several Grey ones in the Beckley area too. L&S had 4 of the Pyrite Mica's when I went to Ramey and bought mine (I wanted the grey interior and L&S only had tan) so unfortunately I'd say there will be several Pyrite Micas soon too.

You won't regret putting the BDS lift on it!

I Had no idea you were so close to me. Tazewell VA. Lol Come see us bro

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.