Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decide to get rid of 4 gallons or so of mix gas from late summer sitting in a can. added it to a half tank (at the gas station) then topped off my tundra (2002, 4.7 sr5 2wd, 110k) and didn't make it home today. a half mile later it stopped running. i really though adding 4 gallons of old mix to 17 or so "good" gallons of gas would never come up again this has got me HOT! quickly i went to the local napa and got a new fuel filter which i had never replaced thinking it would correct the problem. the truck has been with me since new and always been taken care of for the most part, never had a problem except an O2 sensor w/ check engine light one time.

please help me fix this problem, is it the injectors - got any ideas?

· Registered
1,206 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
decide to get rid of 4 gallons or so of mix gas from late summer sitting in a can. added it to a half tank (at the gas station) then topped off my tundra (2002, 4.7 sr5 2wd, 110k) and didn't make it home today. a half mile later it stopped running. i really though adding 4 gallons of old mix to 17 or so "good" gallons of gas would never come up again this has got me HOT! quickly i went to the local napa and got a new fuel filter which i had never replaced thinking it would correct the problem. the truck has been with me since new and always been taken care of for the most part, never had a problem except an O2 sensor w/ check engine light one time.

please help me fix this problem, is it the injectors - got any ideas?
I've not done it in my tundra, but have in other vehicles with no problems. But I use fuel stabilizers in all of my cans, so the fuel is never truly "bad".

· Registered
2,857 Posts
My Dad did this once with his GMC. Had to ultimately drain the entire tank of fuel, change fuel filters and run a few tanks of premium through to clean out the system.

· "Resident Liberal"
13,624 Posts
Reminds me of when my FIL added a container of Fuel stablilzer that was big enough for 60 gallons and he dumped it all into his Chevy pickup.

It broke every piece of crap in the fuel system up and clogged the fuel injection.
It was running like ass when I pulled it out of his driveway with the intention of getting it to my house to fix.

I would floor it and it bucked and hopped like a yearling. I said the hell with it and kept the pedal floored and endured all that shit and finally whatever junk was causing it to act up cleared and it ran like a new one.

I went ahead and changed the fuel filter and it was completely clogged.

· Registered
243 Posts
anywhere in the system that there is a filter <inline or regular paper fuel > or sensor should be cleaned as best as possible , plugs you might want to check , mostly will just take time and working its way out of the fuel system , could have been worse , a friends mom put super unleaded in her diesel mercedes was not fun

· Registered
14,311 Posts
Realistically the mix would have diluted, the oil is not the problem, nor is the stabil...

The problem is that fuel now is hygroscopic and wicks moisture from the air... That means you pretty much just put water into your tank most likely.

I don't get why everyone thinks the mix oil caused the issue. it is less than 3 oz per gallon, then mix that with 17 more gallons, however it only takes 4-6 oz of water or less in 26 gallons to phuck up a vehicle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.