Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading around on this forum for a while and taking the great ideas. I have my first real issue with my truck today. My foglights weren't working so I started doing some troubleshooting. I started down at the bulbs, figured out that wasn't the issue and moved up to the fuse box. There is where I found the mouse nest. I looked down through all the holes and the insulation has been eaten off quite a few wires down there. I am not happy. My truck is about 9 months old. Anyone else with an experience like this? The fuse box is a terrible design. A major wire bundle coming from the front had HUGE gaps around it. It seems pretty obvious that this is a great mouse nesting area. What were you thinking Toyota!!! My truck doesn't sit much either. It's a daily driver

·
Registered
408 Posts
That really sucks.. Wonder will they honor warranty even though its not really their fault.. It's not that bad since it didn't get into the main engine harness which I'll be really piss about... Should be a quick fix, any pictures ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I didn't take pictures. I might this weekend. Anyone have any idea how to seperate the fuse box? I hope they cover this under warranty. I realize this isn't fully their fault. It slightly falls under the crap happens category, but really? That is a very bad design. I work in the power substation industry and little vermin (chipmonks, mice, etc..) are a big problem. The utilites in my area usually put some spray foam or other creative means of keeping the evil chewers out! The massive gap between the wire bundle and the edges of the box is ridiculous. I think that is what I am going to go with to try and get Toyota to cover this.What's the chances of getting Toyota to cover this? If not, I wonder if my insurance would cover it. If my truck burns to the ground before I get it fixed (of electrical fire, not me lighting the rag sticking out of the gas tank), I never posted any of this. I am so frustrated. This is why I can't have nice things. If they don't cover it, does anyone knowhow to split the fuse box in half. I may end up using some spray on wire insulator or shrink wrap to fix it. I am sure it will cost a small fortune to replace the wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
insurance would or should cover it... If it is major $$...

It is not just Yota with this issue, it is dodge, chevy, ford... You name it. Any vehicle can have the electrical chewed to hell from critters. It sucks when it happens. I have seen it on brand new trucks in for plow installs from the dealers lot even. One local dealer was using the field next to them for a spare lot, they had over 18 brand new dodge vehicles that got aten by critters. They do not use the field as a lot anymore.

Best of luck in getting it repaired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried taking some pictures with my cell phone this morning. They didn't come out very well. Just pop your hood, remove the cover on your fuse box, look down the holes and imagine seeing bare copper instead of properly insulated wires. I counted at least 12 wires with significant damage. Still no one with any ideas on splitting the box apart so I can get to the wiring under the fuses?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
The issue isn't isolated to Toyota. I have lived on a farm /rural area all my life. It's just what happens. I have had it happen on everything from lawn mowers to Vehicles.

In the future, drop a moth ball or two in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Not warranty, it is a comprehensive claim with your insurance company. Insist on a new harness not a repair. We do a couple every month, people go up to the sequoias, go hiking come back to drive down the hill and lights come on.

I had a Prius that got hit twice in two weeks, about 4k each time. The rat was still in the car the second time it came in. We caught it and one of my guys fed it to his snake. Valuable rat though, made us about 50 hours

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have a project for the weekend. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I picked up some liquid electric tape at Lowes. I haven't tried this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Why mess with it? I would turn It in to my insurance company and let them replace all the parts so its right. If it isn't fixed correctly you are on the hook for any consequential damage. It is a comp claim that doesn't go against your averages and wont raise your rates

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called my insurance company (USAA) and they told me that they couldn't tell me if it would jack the rate or not. They said that the underwriter would use it as a factor in determining my next year's rate though. My though is, they would jack it. What makes you say that they wouldn't? I took a little break to see if I could find some helpful hints somewhere on how to get this thing apart. I have removed the rear bolts and I put cut up pieces of credit card style hotel key in the clips, but that thing seems to be on there pretty solid.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I called my insurance company (USAA) and they told me that they couldn't tell me if it would jack the rate or not. They said that the underwriter would use it as a factor in determining my next year's rate though. My though is, they would jack it. What makes you say that they wouldn't? I took a little break to see if I could find some helpful hints somewhere on how to get this thing apart. I have removed the rear bolts and I put cut up pieces of credit card style hotel key in the clips, but that thing seems to be on there pretty solid.
Just so you know, you might as well go ahead and file the claim.
When you called them and asked about it , there is a very good chance it was put it in your file.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just so you know, you might as well go ahead and file the claim.
When you called them and asked about it , there is a very good chance it was put it in your file.
I hate to think that the insurance company feels they can jack my rate for asking how much they would jack my rate. I have got some varying responses on here though. Everything from statements that they won't touch my rate to they will raise it just for asking.

I managed to figure out the stupid tabs on the fuse box yesterday. I didn't realize it was the smaller outer portion that was the catch part. Much easier after figuring that out. It wasn't as bad as I thought when I got in there. They had done damage, but I had seen all of it through the holes. I did a few test runs with the liquid electrical tape and then removed it when it was 80ish% dried. I found that I had to wrap all the way around and that one thick coat applied correctly (no runs, no thin sides) was as good as a few thin coats. I coated a few wires at a time, let it dry to the touch, inspected it and then ripped it off if I didn't feel it came out just right. It was a bit time consuming, but I feel I can safely say that everything is coated as well as factory. I believe it was a chipmonk as there were acorns in the box. The wires weren't difficult to seperate out. I took the electrical tape off and then unplugged the connectors. I made sure to check each and every wire for damage. This may be a little less than facory in appearance, and some seem to think I am cutting corners fixing it this way, but I plan on keeping this truck a long time (probably 10 years if all goes well) and I think it may not be the best looking fix, but I think the function will work well. If it was carying high voltages or high currents, I might be a little more concerned. I am going to keep an eye on things and make sure the fix holds up well, although I have little doubt it will. I will be getting some mothballs to put in a few key places very soon. They chewed a small amount of the foam under the plastic engine cover.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
What makes you say that they wouldn't? .
Maybe it is California or maybe it is just State Farm but I had an adjuster tell me that Comp claims don't count and collision claims that are under $750 don't get picked up either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts