Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big fat tires (325/65r18); no lift.... 2016 Tundra SR DC Long 4x4

Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x12.8 on 9" rims), with MB TKO 18x9 +25mm offset. Bought from Discount Tire Direct during their labor day sale. Hell of a deal, shipped to my house, ready to install. If the rebates come in, less than $1400 total. I wanted to get Falken Wildpeak AT3W in the same size, but they were out, and with price matching to Amazon and rebates on the Hankooks they will end up cheaper.

I don't usually care how my vehicles look, but the stock grey steel wheels and those dinky tires were bugging me. I'm very pleased and surprised by the difference. I mean, I *really* like how it looks now. The truck should come with 35s or alt least 34s. I feel sorry all the peasants around here in their big 3/4 and 1 ton Fords, Dodges, and GMs, with their dinky skinny tires that look like shit. :)

Why no lift? I'm turning this truck into an offroad RV but it will be at least a year and a half before that's finished. The suspension I end up with be made for a heavier load. I didn't want to screw around with that twice if I didn't have to, and it looks like I don't have to. Even at stock height I still have 5" clearance to the top of the fender, which is a decent amount. I might be able to hit it on a hard bump, but so far my efforts at that have been unsuccessful. If it does ever hit I can fix that by adding some washers to the bump stops. Lifting with struts wouldn't have bought me any clearance in the front and rear of the well because I want to avoid rubbing even when hitting bumps. Especially at the body mount; you want to make sure you aren't hitting that hard at any time, because it isn't going to move.

I removed the mudflaps and moved the front liner forward before they arrived. I did enough research on this and thought I'd need a BMC, which I did. It was close. I probably could have avoided it by fiddling with the LCA cams to move the wheels forward a little, but then I would have needed an alignment. +35mm offset would have likely provided enough clearance too, but I couldn't find any wheels in that offset for a good price that I liked. Doing the BMC was fun, BTW. I love cutting big hunks of metal off my nearly new truck! And no, I didn't weld on a piece to cover the hole. >:D

I put 35psi in the front and 32psi in the rear. These tires are rated for 3860 lb @65 psi, and 2535 lb @35 psi, so I think i have plenty of air in them, but I'll need to experiment to dial it in.

Initial driving impressions are that the ride is a little stiffer and they make a faint hum. Not bad. There is a little loss of responsiveness off the line, but it still has loads of acceleration IMO. I have about 100 miles on it with mixed driving around town and offroad, and the computer says 15.8 mpg, which corrected for size comes to 17.1 mpg which certainly seems decent. Time will tell on that, but it doesn't appear to be a huge hit to mpgs so far.

If you are wanting ~35" tires for your Tundra on 18" wheels, these are your options. All have been normalized to 9" width wheels using the 40% rule (1 inch of wheel width changes the tire width ~0.4"), and are "averages" based on actual specs. The 305/70s tend to be the largest diameter and are also quite wide, so hardest to fit. 325/65s are the same dia as 35x12.5s typically but are wider.

295/70r18 (~34.3x12.0)
285/75r18 (~34.8x11.7)
305/70r18 (~35.1x12.6, not many options)
35x12.5r18(~34.6x12.1)
325/65r18 (~34.6x12.8)

Attachments

Reactions: MtnClimber

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks great. Have you considered the alternative center cap and/or logo swap mod for those wheels? Mine are not black but you get the idea. Last picture is not mine.

MB TKO CenterCap Logo Mod

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Toyota symbol! I considered painting the rear hub and ditching the caps, but a better symbol would be nice.

Reactions: Yota3242
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.