Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Ok, I took out " why bother". Notice that I also said "under normal conditions", which works fine for MOST folks. He didn't specify where he is located nor what his driving conditions are, so I was giving a general opinion.
Agreed that driving in steep or hilly terrain is better for the tranny in Sport mode, mainly because of the TC wear and excess heat. I live in the mountains and do shift now and then to keep the TC locked as much as possible, but as far as really making a meaningful difference in fuel mileage, in my case (Northern Rockies above 5,800 feet), it doesn't with my Tundra. On the other hand, as I mentioned several posts back, it DOES seem to make a small (.2 mpg increase) difference in my wife's 4Runner. Not really sure why, but may be because the Runner has a V6 and different gearing, or something totally different. Who knows?
Thinking about it, the difference COULD be that I may have a subconscious tendency to romp on the pedal harder because I know that big, beautiful 5.7 isn't a slug like the 4.0 in the 4Runner :D, although it does a decent job for the most part. Just not as well as the V8's did.
Not arguing. I just should have been more specific in my answer, I guess. ETA: YMMV
:thx:for taking the time to straighten me out,God knows I need it:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
One note, and perhaps this only applies to the '14 or the 1794, but, going from D to S, it puts it in "4th" - meaning if you're going 25, it'll use whatever gear up to 4th and hold, or if you're going 80, it'll drop it to 4th. I have also noticed that it doesn't hold a gear any more firmly in one mode or the other.

Typical use for me is that I'll bump it over when I know I need to get on it (merging in traffic where one lane is going quite a bit faster than another lane), as it allows me to get in a better gear for quick acceleration, faster than simply just mashing the go-pedal, and letting the transmission try and figure it out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My 2010 also goes into 4 always.

I just use S always. Once I get going I will hit up as necessary. Often I just need to select 5 in some hilly spots where it wants to hunt, the rest of the time it's not so bad, although I drive the same routes often and know how to let off so as to prevent a downshift.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Jenksdrummer and Sumpton both proove my point....we can "OUT-THINK" these transmissions:p The only drawback.........it requires EFFORT:yikes:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I find that my tranny holds 6th gear better in S mode that in D mode. I use it always and just get in the habit of putting it in then bumping it twice to put it in 6th gear.

Between the lift, tires, and 4600' MSL, my truck down shifts more than I like. However, the SC/BD 600hp does help a bunch. I think I'm getting about .5 MPG better in S mode as well.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
My 2010 also goes into 4 always.

I just use S always. Once I get going I will hit up as necessary. Often I just need to select 5 in some hilly spots where it wants to hunt, the rest of the time it's not so bad, although I drive the same routes often and know how to let off so as to prevent a downshift.
Pretty sure the trans just drops one gear from where you are when you drop it in S....Doesn't the 4.6 only have a 5 speed trans? meaning it would drop you to 4th from 5th when you selected S? Unless you then bumped it back up to 5th and then it shifted up.

Trying to remember, I don't use it much, I could be way off base. But I know my 2008 4.7 only had a 5spd trans....another bonus when I went to my 5.7.

·
Registered
370 Posts
After putting some miles on the truck, I've discovered I get better mileage with sport but I also discovered that I get better mileage and have a lot more fun driving in tow/haul mode. This makes the truck behave much more like the manual transmissions im used to driving. it get much more agressive with the downshifts while going downhill and holds 1st and 2nd like I would prefer. I also get the bonus of hearing this incredible 5.7 liter beast roar :)

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Pretty sure the trans just drops one gear from where you are when you drop it in S....Doesn't the 4.6 only have a 5 speed trans? meaning it would drop you to 4th from 5th when you selected S? Unless you then bumped it back up to 5th and then it shifted up.

Trying to remember, I don't use it much, I could be way off base. But I know my 2008 4.7 only had a 5spd trans....another bonus when I went to my 5.7.
Sorry, Dumbass moment...I forgot that when they went to the 4.6 over the 4.7 they also went to a 6spd trans for everyone.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Actually Shasta, it drops to 4th gear from either 5th or 6th when you shift to "S" mode.

Dave

·
Registered
830 Posts
I noticed something, not 100% sure but I think it is there.

On a hill it sometimes drops out of sixth locked. It seems like it will be around 2k when it does that. But if I click down to 5 it will lock the convertor up--and spin at say 1800 or 1900 rpm. Which is odd, you'd think toyota would do this instead, slower rpm and not losing power in the form of heat.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
So this might seem like a dumb question, if so I'm sorry, but the S mode always confused me so since you guys use it daily you can clear this up. Sometimes I shift to S mode when going down a hill so I don't have to use my brakes at all, just down shift to slow down. If I put it in S from a stand still, and it is automatically in 4, that means it starts in 1 and shifts up no higher than 4 correct?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts