Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I,m just curious if anyone has ever gotten a good deal at the beginning to middle of the month? Or, is the end of the month really the best time to buy? Thanks a lot. John.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The best time to buy is after a new year model is out and you get the last year model. So a 2012 will get you the best price right now. Otherwise yes the end of the month is better.

More than anything you get your best price when you do your homework and get two or three dealerships working against each other.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Being at the right place at the right time helps (I.e. at the dealership that is close to meeting their goals), end of the month, end of the quarter, end of the fiscal year...and of course, armed with research and knowledge, with multiple dealerships competing for your dollars.

And of course, prior year leftovers.

Also, keep in mind, "the best deal" also should take into account how much free shit you can squeeze out of them. Its my understanding (and I may be wrong), that even if there is an absolute bottom dollar on the truck, negotiating extra shit from their parts room may come out of a different budget (one that they can make up by charging other people for parts and repairs), and their cost on parts room crap is cheap ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the best way to get dealerships to work against each other? Is it just a matter of calling dealership A, getting a price over the phone, than telling dealership B dealership A's best price, or going there, haggling, and taking paper work to different dealers? Thanks for all the advice in advance. John.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at the dealership yesterday, and was able to get the Tundra from 34K down to 30K. But, we came to an impasse, over trade price. I found some extra down payment money today, and was thinking about calling back tomorrow, to ask if the deal could still be on the table. I'm sure I know the answer, especially since it will be the first of the month. But, the worst he can tell me, is no.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Emails...email a few dealerships in your area. Tell them what you want. Then phone calls. You can bring up that you are working with different dealers. You may hear "we can all get the truck for the same price"...bullshit. Maybe throw in that you are looking at a Ram or Ford too ;)

Then figure out from there who deserves your time.

Last new vehicle I bought, I had 3 dealerships competing for the sale. (Not Toyota). Narrowed it down to 1 specific model, color combo, and features. There was exactly 1 vehicle in the state that fit (in Miami). 1 dealership backed out. 1 dealership gave me their best price, and wanted to charge me $500 to transport the vehicle from Miami to Tampa (dealer trade). The 3rd dealership gave me a better price, better site unseen trade in value for my trade in, and told me they would transport the vehicle from miami to Tampa for free :yikes:

When I showed up to deal, I got a better trade in value, talked them down more, and got some free shit :D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Option Two or do as I did and I did and I was lucky for a member here to find me my Dream Tundra on New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com

I saved around 8k off of sticker and that did include all of Toyotas incentives.
a little over 39k was around 31k +tax title ext warranty.....

I just had to drive to another state and almost 200 miles to get it:D

They will deal ya just have to wait for it!

riccnick was the finder of my tundra

·
Registered
341 Posts
A cold rainy, snowy December 27 - 31.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
FWIW here in Vegas, I bought a 2012 model year in Feb of 2013. Factory rebate was $7K, dealer was giving $7.5K and they gave me roughly $7K over what I owed on a 2013 Explorer that I traded in. (i bought it as a demo, got a huge deal on it, but Toyota didn't need to know that) I think the sticker was $41 for my truck. I made out like a champ. For all of that, I did have a 4.8APR, but I need the write off for the business so it was fine.

So....old model year, end of month, crappy weather, hungry dealer. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, you've given some great advice and strategy. As far as December, Will there still be 2013's sitting on the lot in December, with newly designed 2014's making their way in?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was at the dealership yesterday, and was able to get the Tundra from 34K down to 30K. But, we came to an impasse, over trade price. I found some extra down payment money today, and was thinking about calling back tomorrow, to ask if the deal could still be on the table. I'm sure I know the answer, especially since it will be the first of the month. But, the worst he can tell me, is no.
I'm also working on a deal on a new tundra right now as well, and my local dealership told me he could give me that promo through July 8th, so might not be to late if the promo coincides with their fiscal month.

For what it's worth, I work in sales as well, and my months never end with the last day on the calendar, so I wouldn't count them out yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
late january...right after christmas..(everyone's broke)..year old models are given big discounts due to the new models...and end of month quotas....you really can't beat it..

·
Registered
753 Posts
A cold rainy, snowy December 27 - 31.
About 10 days earlier worked for me (ie December 17th).

Before I made my deal, I shopped about 8-10 dealers either in-person or on-line within 100 miles.

Turned out the dealer I bought my Tundra at is 40 miles away from my house. Clicked on their "Internet Price" on their web site. Got an email from their Internet Sales Consultant with their price (which was under invoice). Printed the email and went to the dealership the next day.

Got the model & options I wanted for Under Invoice (price in the email) + some Tundra accessories dirt cheap + Toyota incentives ($2K) + what I wanted for my trade-in. Took a little time to work out the details but it was worth it.

Picked my Tundra up on 12/23 and had a Very Merry Christmas! :D

Good I saved the money I did when I bought my Tundra because I spent it all on the mods I did in the months that followed. :lol5:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just closed my deal yesterday. Called the salesman, got email quotes and started haggling. The quotes were 8-9% below MSRP and then I brought up my trade. A 2004 low- mileage DC Tundra. The trade allowances were as follows, 10.5K, 11K and 13.5K. The 13.5 number was the first quote so I was armed with that when I went to the other dealers. Both complained that it had to be a mistake and I should make sure it was correct. It was. They said no one could make any money at with that quote. Whatever not my problem.

These discussions were over 2 different trucks, with a $1000 price difference. Dealer A said $26500 out the door, dealer B at the time hadn't made a final offer, Dealer C was winning out with a $23800 out-the-door offer. Emailed Dealers A and B on Sunday and asked them to submit their final offer (they were offering the same exact truck that was out of state) or find another truck to offer me. Sales manager from Dealer A calls me and offers another $1000 bringing them down to $25500. Dealer B calls me at work Tuesday and said they will match the $23800 offer (the one that nobody will make any money on) and asks is black okay? I said I'll get back to you. Went home, convince the wife and closed the deal. Also, the truck I'm taking is $300 higher then the one I was going to purchase, so they really need to work the numbers I suppose.

Of note, the winning dealer said there was only 16 trucks in New England region that was spec'd out like I wanted (SR5 with moon roof), and 14 were either black or white.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just closed my deal yesterday. Called the salesman, got email quotes and started haggling. The quotes were 8-9% below MSRP and then I brought up my trade. A 2004 low- mileage DC Tundra. The trade allowances were as follows, 10.5K, 11K and 13.5K. The 13.5 number was the first quote so I was armed with that when I went to the other dealers. Both complained that it had to be a mistake and I should make sure it was correct. It was. They said no one cold make any money at with that quote. Whatever not my problem.

These discussions were over 2 different trucks, with a $1000 price difference. Dealer A said $26500 out the door, dealer B at the time hadn't made a final offer, Dealer C was winning out with a $23800 out-the-door offer. Emailed Dealers A and B on Sunday and asked them to submit their final offer (they were offering the same exact truck that was out of state) or find another truck to offer me. Sales manager from Dealer A calls me and offers another $1000 bringing them down to $25500. Dealer B calls me at work Tuesday and said they will match the $23800 offer (the one that nobody will make any money on) and asks is black okay? I said I'll get back to you. Went home, convince the wife and closed the deal. Also, the truck I'm taking is $300 higher then the one I was going to purchase, so they really need to work the numbers I suppose.

Of note, the winning dealer said there was only 16 trucks in New England region that was spec'd out like I wanted (SR5 with moon roof), and 14 were either black or white.
Why didn't you go with C?? I would of made B go lower..C offered it first without hassle..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why didn't you go with C?? I would of made B go lower..C offered it first without hassle..
Dealer C had a white truck and I wasn't that hip on white but could of lived with it. My wife was more against white and I needed her buy in to make this happen. It was a harder negotiation with her than the dealers.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Just do your homework and you will be ok...

·
Registered
256 Posts
The biggest mistake most people make when trying to buy a vehicle is they will not put their money where their mouth is. They walk into a dealership or email a salesperson and badger them for the lowest price then they go next door and try the same thing. Dealers are not stupid and they will not sell a truck and lose money.

Want the dealer to take you seriously? Walk in and offer X amount and either $$ or a check in your hand for a deposit. Tell them if they accept you will buy the truck right now. Don't play games with the dealer and usually they will not play games with you.

Yesterday I emailed a local Triumph motorcycle dealer. Told them I would buy a new bike for a certain amount and if they accepted it to call me for my credit card and a deposit. One hour later the deal was completed and I pick up the bike tomorrow and never even been to the dealership yet. Dealers know when you are serious or just a tire kicker. After all, there success depends on it.

Don't even consider buying a color you don't like because you will hate it more with each passing day.

Finally, don't forget, this is the internet and to be honest the place is full of liars and bull shitters. DO NOT believe all the super low prices you see people post saying they paid $7K under msrp then got $3k above NADA for their trade in. They are simply full of shit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The biggest mistake most people make when trying to buy a vehicle is they will not put their money where their mouth is. They walk into a dealership or email a salesperson and badger them for the lowest price then they go next door and try the same thing. Dealers are not stupid and they will not sell a truck and lose money.

Want the dealer to take you seriously? Walk in and offer X amount and either $$ or a check in your hand for a deposit. Tell them if they accept you will buy the truck right now. Don't play games with the dealer and usually they will not play games with you.

Yesterday I emailed a local Triumph motorcycle dealer. Told them I would buy a new bike for a certain amount and if they accepted it to call me for my credit card and a deposit. One hour later the deal was completed and I pick up the bike tomorrow and never even been to the dealership yet. Dealers know when you are serious or just a tire kicker. After all, there success depends on it.

Don't even consider buying a color you don't like because you will hate it more with each passing day.

Finally, don't forget, this is the internet and to be honest the place is full of liars and bull shitters. DO NOT believe all the super low prices you see people post saying they paid $7K under msrp then got $3k above NADA for their trade in. They are simply full of shit.
Couldn't have said it better. I worked sales at a Toyota Dealership and it was easy dealing with the people that already did their research online and knew what invoice was for the new vehicle and about what their trade is worth. They were the serious buyers that made a serious offer. Nothing worse then the "tough" guy that makes an unrealistic offer and expects to beat you down in price. Some people have a hard time realizing that car dealerships are PROFIT organizations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts