Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 TRD Offroad, double cab 8' bed and the ride quality is harsh. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension and can't find clear info on what suspension will be best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

My goal is to have a more comfortable ride and have suspension that does a better job of absorbing road imperfections. Right now I feel every bump and moderate bumps are harsh. I would prefer a truck that floats over bumps instead of shaking me. I am only concerned with on-road driving.

Has anyone went from a stock TRD Offroad to new shocks purely to improve ride quality? What suspension did you go to, and was the ride quality less harsh? Could you feel regular bumps in the road less?

I wouldn't mind leveling the truck but that isn't the primary goal.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2020 TRD Offroad, double cab 8' bed and the ride quality is harsh. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension and can't find clear info on what suspension will be best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

My goal is to have a more comfortable ride and have suspension that does a better job of absorbing road imperfections. Right now I feel every bump and moderate bumps are harsh. I would prefer a truck that floats over bumps instead of shaking me. I am only concerned with on-road driving.

Has anyone went from a stock TRD Offroad to new shocks purely to improve ride quality? What suspension did you go to, and was the ride quality less harsh? Could you feel regular bumps in the road less?

It depends on your budget. Old man emu makes a good kit, Boss, Toytech and a few others. I run 6112's at top setting with 1/2 inch of coach builder shims drivers side, 1/4 inch on the passenger side, and 5160's in the rear I did shackles to maintain the rake, it is now level with the weight of the bumper and shell. I did also replace the upper control arms as I could not get a good alignment. Some use kings, others icon shocks etc. We have started some thread on a board I help run and we have an active member base. www.trundras.org

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on your budget. Old man emu makes a good kit, Boss, Toytech and a few others. I run 6112's at top setting with 1/2 inch of coach builder shims drivers side, 1/4 inch on the passenger side, and 5160's in the rear I did shackles to maintain the rake, it is now level with the weight of the bumper and shell. I did also replace the upper control arms as I could not get a good alignment. Some use kings, others icon shocks etc. We have started some thread on a board I help run and we have an active member base. www.trundras.org
Thanks for the response! My main concern isn't budget - its making sure that I get some results for the money spent. How would you describe your on-road ride quality with your setup? Is it significantly smoother over bumps than the stock setup?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the response! My main concern isn't budget - its making sure that I get some results for the money spent. How would you describe your on-road ride quality with your setup? Is it significantly smoother over bumps than the stock setup?
I am happy with the improvement, I am into the suspension for under 2K, I did also look a the Icon setup, at almost 5K it was on the edge of my budget, so I did the Bilstein route, and swapped gears and added a rear LSD. Then it was buy new tires and wheels then budget was shot.
88240564_126439775600355_8563998276636901376_o.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am happy with the improvement, I am into the suspension for under 2K, I did also look a the Icon setup, at almost 5K it was on the edge of my budget, so I did the Bilstein route, and swapped gears and added a rear LSD. Then it was buy new tires and wheels then budget was shot. View attachment 881736 View attachment 881736
Your truck looks great with that setup. Anyone else out there agree that the Bilstein setup reduces harshness on road?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, i enjoy the fox suspension that came with my 2019 TRD pro, floats like a boat, very mellow compared to my previous beilsten 5100 setup that was in 2011 DC.

look fox pricing at sparkparts.com

·
Registered
11 Posts

I am curious why you bought the TRD package they do ride rough!

If you go over a set of closely spaced speed bumps at 8-10mph you can tell what the suspension was set up for, it took me a minute to figure out it really means TRD and is not just a sticker. However if you just put 200-300 pounds in the bed it makes a huge difference. Maybe just install a tool box or a solid camper shell?

Sometime I don't load my bike in the bed and put on the hitch rack, its 250 pounds then it rides like a dream on the interstate and dirt roads but does make you have to use some very small corrections on road imperfections as the truck drives straight as a arrow normally most people probably wouldn't notice this. .
However when I add a couple of hundred pounds of gear to the front of the bed of a couple of passengers in the back it smooths the front end out a bit also.

Just add a bit of weight 250-300 pounds in the front of the bed or at least before the rear axle and save yourself some cash, a 6,000 pound truck dosent notice it in acceleration or braking but your arse will.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The softer the shock the softer the ride. Try buying aftermarket shocks with the same actual length that mount the same regardless of what brand they are used for. Tundra shoots are too still and gas charged to a higher pressure to ride that way. FWIW?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I probably should have gotten a non-TRD but all of the 8' bed Tundras in my area were TRD Offroads.

Thanks for the input from everyone. Has anyone else installed 6112s/5160s and noticed a decrease (or increase) in harshness?

I will say that I put about 100 miles on a newer Tacoma TRD Sport this weekend and the Tundra is definitely more comfortable in every way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I really like the bilstien 6112-5160 on my truck and like the ride. But from reading OP's posts, I would suggest progresive shocks like fox and not digressive like the bilstiens.

·
Registered
6 Posts

After doing many lifts on many different rigs I can say with confidence King is the only way to go. My stock suspension was not really harsh to begin with but substantial body roll on mountain roads was an issue.
I had Icons on my Tacoma the blew in 6 months of trail running. I swapped to Fox DSC coilovers and it was better, I still noticed very little with the adjusters on the DSC's. Ride was harsch. On my 4 runner I decided to pay the extra money to get Kings, ride was excellent. So when I got the TRD Tundra, I went the same route, Kings with the adjustable shocks. Wow the difference was amazing. The ride is soft yet handles corners like a sports car. Yet with the 3 add a leafs on the kit for the rear I have increased my payload. The adjustments can actually be felt. Big difference when dialing in the firm to soft. The advise from me will always be King there is no substitute.
Find out the real difference in the high end shocks from filthy motorsports on you tube. They get real detailed on the shocks and will explain why King is the best and even Fox can compare for their shims are pint sized compared to King's. One thing I am dissapointed with on the Tundra is a lack of a locker. Both the Tacoma and the 4runner have it. So the Tundra although a decent 4 wheeler not the extreme wheeler my wrangler or my 4runner were so I opted to go with a real trail destoryer in the RZR. :p

with 25" of travel this beast flys over huge ruts with extreme speed making anything Ive had prior seem like taking a corolla off road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would try the kings as well. I have fox 2.5 non resi in my 2015 double cab and have played with them quite a bit on preload and they are pretty harsh. I’ve had no issues with them in over 50,000 miles but they are harsh

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I'm learning and after I installed my Fox 2.5 DSC's and found that they were harsher than they should be based on my discussions with people who had experience with the Fox's and the Bilstein's, I called Fox and inquired. They said I should call a company called Accutune. This was a wonderfully eye opening call. It turns out, and makes perfect sense, that the harshness can be spring rate as well as dampening rate. As it turns out Fox puts a 700# spring on the coilovers I bought, which are supposed to be specifically set up for the Tundra, and Accutune recommends a 500# spring for my application. Accutune can also revalve the shocks to have a more plush ride. In the end, I'm installing the Deaver K-37 leaf spring on the rear and 500# springs on the front with the Fox 2.5 DSC's with Accutune's "Street" dampening valve setup, which is their softest stock/standard setup (they do custom valving as well).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still haven't done anything. I planned on going a cheaper route and installing Ranchos. The parts up and the finish is just embarrassing. It looks like they painted them after they installed the bushings. The rear shocks were also missing the red covers.

IMG_20200617_171312.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
So there is many good ideas listed above. Here is my 2 cents. You do not mention what tires, size, load rating you are running if you have a lift or anything. Tires are part of the suspension and are frequently related to a harshness in ride quality especially where paved roads that are poorly maintained. If you are running E load range tires they have a purpose and soft ride quality is not their role in life. They are for hauling heavy loads and or harsh off roading where strong side walls are required. You will be much happier with a C load rated tire but may have to settle on a D rated tire based on tire, looks, needs. This depends on the look you are going for. The below is from the Tire Rack. This is the specifications for a BFG T/A KO2 in a 17in. Both are the same size. The top one was made specifically for the Ford Raptor a 1/2 ton truck like our Tundras. Each tire has a load rating of 2535 lb. at 45 psi. Compare this to the bottom one that is E rated with a max load of 3195 lb. at 65 psi each. This load difference is probably the biggest difference you will see in on road harshness in my opinion. Having more side wall can also help in a better ride.

I have 275-65-20 BFG T/A KO2 listed below. I have played with air pressures over the last 10 years and for a gentler ride and even wear I run 38 psi. in the front and 36 psi. in the rear when un-loaded and this helps decrease harshness.

When I recently found this C-rated tire listed above I have been trying to find a way to get an older set of the TRD Rock Warrior 17 inch wheels to install these on my truck. However, this tire is wider than a 35-12.50-20 and about 1/2 inch shorter. It is the extra width that will cause a problem for me and others. So, is there another C- rated off road tire out there? I have not found it.

Also the TRD rear leaf springs has an extra leaf that the non TRD modes do not have. It only takes a little labor to remove this leaf. This would be easy and inexpensive. I would not change shocks until I did a tire change. The Rancho's you are looking at installing are a definite down grade from the stock Bilstein's that came on the truck. Do one change at a time so you can evaluate what actually changed with each transition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts