Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are way too many opinions about what needs to be done to fix the crappy sound system in these trucks for me to spend the time to read. Long story short I’m recently domesticated, have a wife and a brand new kiddo (thank god he looks like my wife) and I work 7 days a week to keep up with their spending habits and my lovely mortgage. I just traded in my POS ford for this 1794 2015 tundra and I love the truck. Had to get better wheels and tires already, but man does this sound system suck. Usually I drive this puppy 4 hours a day roughly for work. I’d love to do an upgrade but have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and don’t have hardly any time. Maybe someone has done an upgrade that might give me 10 minutes of their time to help me get an idea of what it’d take to get this sucker sounding half decent?

much love
Fords suck

· Registered
14,311 Posts
There's a lot of options. To get optimal sound however, you have to swap everything... Starting with the hu, and then all the speakers, and sub, will need amp(s) etc.

Years ago I did my 2010 non jbl in stages, which isn't a bad idea, definitely cost more in the end. Started with a processor, used a JL Audio unit... Went with a 900/5hd amp, 100x4, and 500x1 for the sub. Then eventually I swapped the head unit. The processor at the time actually sounded great, but had it's own little knob for volume, and that was just annoying, but got a great deal on it. The 900/5hd was a kickass amp. Even after swapping HU's, I kept it, and still have it just sitting around, probably will toss it up on marketplace eventually. I also have a JL 13tw5 in a custom box that was my first sub in my 2010, installed in 2012. Won't fit in 14+ though, with the non moveable rear seat. Eventually I swapped to two Stereo Intergrity 12" Bm MkIv's.

I have a 2017 Plat, and I have not changed the audio for the simple fact that I like the oem functionality of the stock HU.

There are better processors out now than there were in 2012. I have contemplated trying the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, or the JL fix-86, but have not jumped in yet. I have a slamming system in my beater, and also have another car on it's way.

· Registered
35 Posts
There's a lot of options. To get optimal sound however, you have to swap everything... Starting with the hu, and then all the speakers, and sub, will need amp(s) etc.

Years ago I did my 2010 non jbl in stages, which isn't a bad idea, definitely cost more in the end. Started with a processor, used a JL Audio unit... Went with a 900/5hd amp, 100x4, and 500x1 for the sub. Then eventually I swapped the head unit. The processor at the time actually sounded great, but had it's own little knob for volume, and that was just annoying, but got a great deal on it. The 900/5hd was a kickass amp. Even after swapping HU's, I kept it, and still have it just sitting around, probably will toss it up on marketplace eventually. I also have a JL 13tw5 in a custom box that was my first sub in my 2010, installed in 2012. Won't fit in 14+ though, with the non moveable rear seat. Eventually I swapped to two Stereo Intergrity 12" Bm MkIv's.

I have a 2017 Plat, and I have not changed the audio for the simple fact that I like the oem functionality of the stock HU.

There are better processors out now than there were in 2012. I have contemplated trying the Rockford Fosgate DSR1, or the JL fix-86, but have not jumped in yet. I have a slamming system in my beater, and also have another car on it's way.
In my 2012 TUNDRA, I kept the original head unit, as it works well. Simply replacing the speakers ( and adding tweeters in the from doors) made a huge difference for the better. Then I built a box to fit under the rear seat and added a 10" subwoofer and an amp ( located behind the rear seat ). The sounds is amazing. ( total cost: about $600, all from Crutchfield )

· Premium Member
6,883 Posts
You can get the Rockford DSR1 module and then add an amp and sub for around 600$ and replace your factory speakers as you can afford. That’s what I did. I only replaced the front door speakers and added a 12” shallow sub to my truck. I went with the AudioControl 5.1 amp. I spent 1200$ and did the work myself. Everything will fit under the passenger seat if you take the time to manage the harnesses . You don’t have to cut the wires. I posted what I did 4-5 years back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts