Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.

Never owned a Tundra but looking to build one in the next couple months. Have had several yotes and have built an 87' and 88 pickup and a 96 forerunner. Question is - what's the best year (IYO) for true 4x4. Mainly slow roll tech stuff?

Know IFS isn't best for articulation but yote reliability where I spend most of my time is - and need to get back to that. (Took a two year hiatis with a Titan which I'm selling now). :eek:

Anyway - usual setup is largest tires I can fit, lift to clear tires (my last kit was a Downey kit), air in the back to augment heavy loads and towing I do on accasion and an ARB winch bumper up front to yank me out of a snag when needed. Trucks got to be as quiet as possible - so tight config. Front end must be stiff enough to support weight of bumper & winch.

Most importantly - I need a truck to be bullet proof since 99% of my work is done alone - far from anything. I can break almost anything so think the toughest stuff on the market.

Need enough room for gear and passengers in a pinch - and understand tradoffs in wheelbase - so probaby go with the half cab and a bed I can "park" my Yamaha Grizzly in when needed.

From an option perspective - locking diffs, engine, suspension (articulation, travel, etc) what's the best truck IYO for me to build and why?

Thanks...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tell you what, if I could find a decently used 80-series Land Cruiser, I'd be in heaven. From what I understand, there are a lot of ARB and other aftermarket off-road parts for them and best of all, it's still a Toyota! I'm trying to find one with low miles and the stock front and rear locking diffs, but haven't had any luck:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts