Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Best fender flares for the TRD Pro and why?

66K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  Happyflorida 
#1 ·
Looking to add fender flares to my 2016 Quicksand TRD Pro and need to know the pros and cons about what is available. Really looking at the pocket style. Thanks.
Eagle45

#2 ·
HA! I was thinking the same. I have the same year and color. I love this truck. I get compliments literally everywhere I go.

Bushwacker is a popular brand. I knew a bunch of guys running them on their FJ's a few years back. Black would look amazing. Downside is you would have to remove the factory mudflaps to install.

Toyota Pocket Style Fender Flare - Set of 4 - Black | 30918-33 | Bushwacker

#3 ·
With stock wheels and tires? .Don't put them on at all, it's gonna look gay with the wheels tucked in.

#4 ·
I had bushwacker eBay knock offs for about an hour they fit good ans looked good just wasn't my style they were like 170 online. Couldn't tell them from the real deal. But I agree with onion they don't look right unless you have some offset and some bigger tires

#5 ·
I keep looking at them because I want different wheels and tires and I still want to keep from chewing the side of the truck. I like the pocket flare look, but all of them I have looked at say you have to lose the mudflaps. I don't want to do that. The factory style ones can keep the mudflaps, but they just don't look as good.

So I have therefore done nothing.

#6 ·
if youre getting flares, but keeping stock wheels/tires, also get wheel spacers. looks dumb with the wheels tucked so far under.

Reactions: RTHOMAS
#7 ·
Lattimer,
I am not a huge fan of the fender flares but on some of the trucks on here they look good. If I were to choose on your color truck black would look best. The big issue for me is this truck looks 100% better without mud flaps. If you have to keep mud flaps I wouldn't mind something like the attached pic but you really need your rubber sticking out or the truck Will look weak/silly. Just my opinion.

Attachments

#11 ·
Agree, they only look good with the wheels pushed out and bigger rubber. I was looking at aftermarket wheels, so the offset would fix the width, and of course some more aggressive/larger tires.

I don't like the looks of the mudflaps, but I don't want to chip the paint along the bottom. Those flaps provide a lot of protection. Same with the flares, I don't want the larger tires to send debris up the side of the truck.

I've been back and forth between black and color matched about 1000 times.

And I still can't decide on what wheels I want.

So now I'm determined to wear out the stock tires before I do anything.

#8 ·
agree 100%.... if you get fender flares be prepared too get bigger tires.... is does look funny i have 2016 gray with OEM flairs and it looks funny

#12 ·
Here is a pick of my truck with flares. I would definitely do the color matching. I find that the black ones look silly. Like you forgot to paint them. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TSS Off-road
i-Force 5.7L V-8
20" Milled Matte Black
BFG All-Terrains 285/55TR20
5" Oval Black Step Tube
Black Exhaust Tip
Matte Black Badging
LED Cargo Bed Lights
Spray on Bed-liner
20% Tint Around
LED Interior, Cargo, License, & 3rd Brake Lights

#13 ·
OEM..... by meaning they were the option for the truck through Toyota,
but yes I think they are bushwacker

#14 ·
OEM flares usually means the smooth fender flares (without the rivets). You have the pocket style Bushwacker fender flares (like the ones I have). Looks sweeeeeeet, by the way.

#15 ·
I agree they do look nicer with fatter tires. Even the stock ones little a bit on the skinny side, but I'm frugal so I'm gonna run em down before I get BFG ATKO's thrown on.

A lesson I learned was when I was a bit younger and was just throwing my money away, I got some really fat tires on my FJ. So much that they rubbed a bit, and got that rewelded and fixed. Then of course I had to get an ICON lift kit and then a regear from 3.73 to 4.10 and then to stronger axles. Then that led to new headers, and a new chip, and snorkel mods and aluminum skid plates and blah blah blah

It became so there was no end. I formed quite the money pit. Alot of times I would hit the trails with guys (85% were mechanics by trade) and I would break that damn FJ constantly! I was getting pissed doing everything I could to turn my tuck into a tank but it would still run me 500-1000 every time I took it out to the trails. One guy told me, listen, you can shoot that damn truck of yours with a .45 and it'll be alright. But you can always break an axle on the trail!

NOW I keep it just the way it is. TRD PRO. DONE! lol

#16 · (Edited)
I just added the black textured flares off of sparks website. After comparing them to my co workers they are essentially a textured black OEM flare. I wanted black but all the regular flares in black just look unfinished the textured look these ones have make them match the bed railing and other plastic pieces on the truck I think it flows well. They also allow to leave the mudflaps off or on. just my input. they are also extremely well priced. this is the only picture I have with me on my work computer.

#17 ·
Rounded flares on the Pro angular front fender openings and angular rear quarter openings regardless of who builds the flares looks like an after-thought stick on option IMO.
Now if someone could build flares that carried out the angular lines plus added big tires/wheels then you would have a BAJA look that was special.

#18 ·
I'm guessing the OP has made a decision by now, but just in case anyone else is searching.

Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares, sprayed with Plasti Dip for some texturing and to black out the hardware.

Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender Flares. Almost identical to the pocket flares but don't stick out quite as far (1/4" less coverage), and don't have the fake rivets. I personally prefer the look of these over the pocket flares and these are the ones I kept.

#23 ·
I had the painted Bushwhacker pocket style on my 2015, and got them through Sparks. I really liked them as they did a great job keeping the dirt and mud off the side of my truck. But i had to go with a larger tire, just so they didn't look so tucked in. My 2017 tundra i just got, i ordered the OEM style painted flare and just put them on today. I like them better, as i won't have to have such a large tire and i think they look just fine with the standard Tundra wheels. But they do look better if you can get a bit wider tire on with out getting so big that you start throwing mud and rocks up the side again.

#27 ·
bushwacker extenda flares- and please for the love of god color match them! Black flares on non black trucks looks super cheap and bolt on. White is the only exception..... sometimes.

Personally I hate the rivet style flares- too gaudy and every other suv, jeep, and truck has them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.