Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where or what are you fellows using to take the oil canister that holds the filter off with? I had to use channel locks last time and was a bit nervous about cracking or damaging the canister. Does Auto Zone or some place sell the tool? Do not want to buy anything from the stealership.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Reactions: MikeMc

· Premium Member
8,090 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
go to snapon.com it is an AST tool. part #asttoy640. it is all metal, nice quality. sells for $18.55.

· Registered
374 Posts
Those tools that fit on the bottom of the canister will seize regardless of the quality. I tried the Assenmacher and it worked the best but still had trouble getting it off of the canister. A small hammer was necessary

The cartridge gets so tight that the bottom-fitting tool will slightly twist. I would suspect the aluminum housing might gall.

The tool from eBay works much better because of the considerable torque required to get that oil cartridge off. It hooks onto the two flues further up the cartridge and gets a solid grip on that sucker.

Reactions: Big Shasta

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.