Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've been using one of these for a bit under a year. It seems to filter just fine.

Like any filter, I suspect a paper one filters air "Better," but, they aren't reusable. I'm in Florida on pavement, so I'm not worried about extreme dusty conditions to clog things up. I use K&N for the air conditioner and motor.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I need to buy one soon and been thinking about the K&N as well. I think @Azblue has been using one for awhile if he will chime in.

Yeah, I have one in my truck and the Venza. I won't use a K&N on my engine, but they are great for the cabin filter. I wash mine once a year and they are currently on sale on Amazon for $30. At that price, it's paid for itself in a couple of years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEL6HT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Carbon ones I have found take care of mildew and exhaust smells better, replace every 6 months or when you can smell anything coming through the vents.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just purchased the K&N. With my Amazon points, the K&N rebate, and tax...it will cost me a little over $3.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know this is an old post but I wanted to update.

My blower motor started making a 'hamster wheel squeak' and was replaced under warranty this spring. A few days ago, the a/c system kicked up the new blower motor up to max output and a distinct whine could be heard. Not obnoxiously loud but definitely not normal. The whine goes away when the blower is reduced from max output.

I took my truck in today to have the brake fluid flushed at the dealer and mentioned it in passing. The service manager could hear it and promptly had them replace it, again. After it was replaced, the whine was still present so the SM asked me for some time to process the noise and see if he could replicate it on another 2015 model when he had it in the shop. I did not have any issues with that so I headed home.

He called while I was en-route to the casa and asked if I had changed the air filter and, if so, used an aftermarket. I said yes, and he asked me to remove it when I got home and see if the whine disappeared.

After the filter was removed, the noise went away. I tried a second filter I had on hand (same model/make) and the noise returned.

The only thing I can figure is that the new blower is more efficient than the previous one and blows more air causing the whine. I don't have a Toyota OEM filter to try but I may have to go another route at this point to resolve the noise issue. If anyone else is using this particular filter, crank your blower motor to the max output and see if you hear a whine that is especially noticeable from the drivers seat. If not, the only thing that has changed is the blower motor. There was no noise prior.

--Matt

·
Registered
662 Posts
Interesting. I'll try this next drive I take. I have the K&N and original blower in my 2014.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Interesting. I'll try this next drive I take. I have the K&N and original blower in my 2014.
I hope not with the K&N. I'll probably go that route sooner than later. I might try an off-the-shelf filter from Box*Mart to see if it has the same issue. All I know at this point is that the filter I posted a link to, definitely has the issue. It sucks since the filter was a good price point and seemed to work fantastic prior to my blower motor replacement.

--Matt

·
Registered
486 Posts
I hope not with the K&N. I'll probably go that route sooner than later. I might try an off-the-shelf filter from Box*Mart to see if it has the same issue. All I know at this point is that the filter I posted a link to, definitely has the issue. It sucks since the filter was a good price point and seemed to work fantastic prior to my blower motor replacement.

--Matt
I’m using the K&N cabin filter and there is definitely more flow through my vents than there was before with the OEM filter. I have no complaints with it. No noises. It’s been installed for 18 months or so.

·
Registered
662 Posts

--Matt
Sorry about that, I wasn't paying attention to the filter you are using. I went from stock to the K&N. I figured the truck is just a street truck, maybe some dirt at the brush site from time to time, but nothing serious. I went with the K&N's inside and for the motor. Different topic in another thread! ;)

I think the K&N is quiet at full blast. I'll still check next time I drive out of curiosity. I'm a fan of it. Take it (and the leaves) out, rinse it off, reinstall it. I'm cheap and lazy.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts