Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2011 Tundra 4x4 reg cab with bucket seats. Now my wife is having a child and I know I can't put a baby seat in this truck with buckets. Does anybody know if that year had a bench or say a 40/60 style I could get put in? A new truck is out as I have 5 years left on this finance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What is your other vehicle? I know nothing about swapping seats, but last time I looked under my front seats I did see wiring under there, probably just sensors to see if you're buckled in, but swapping might be more involved than just undoing a few bolts.

My vote would be to take the bath on a trade-in. Or use your other vehicle for family uses. Sorry...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Are you sure you want the smell of baby puke and dirty diapers in your truck?
Some tie down straps will work just fine, plus you don't need to listen to the old lady going on and on . . . :lol5:

Seriously though, you might have to take a bath on the truck and get something with rear seats.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I wouldn't think that the front bench on a Tundra would have the proper anchors to secure the baby seat correctly. I don't know that the rear bench that does have the anchors could be modified to accept the proper brackets.

I like the others so far have mentioned would take the bath (and I have already) to put my child in a rear facing seat in the back of the truck to ensure the little monkey's safety.

If no bath, then use the wifey's ride as the family vehicle.

I just could not imagine if god forbid something does happen, that the new one suffers because it was an improper seat, or my custom weld broke...

Money is just paper. Your new addition is half you, half your wife, and 100% a unique new person of which there will always only be one, non replaceable.

Okay....guilt trip over. Sorry. Got a newborn and a four year old. :D

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to your family.

I was in the same predicament, almost picked up a RCSB... beautiful truck.. had all the paper work, finance, everything lined up... but i backed out of it because I have a son and knew we were (and are now) going to have another...

So i picked up my DC..
I'm sure you will be able to trade it in for a DC or CM...
like others have said, your family is your priority sooo gotta kiss the RC good bye and welcome a 4 door... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please don't be that guy driving around with a baby in the front seat of a reg cab pick up. You are having a kid. Trade that truck in for a DC or a crew max. Both will fit a rear facing car seat in the back seat and your child will be safe. Which is all that matters.

I had a Tacoma extended cab and I tried to shove car seats in the back of that thing and it didnt work. Traded it in for the Tundra Crewmax.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old and would never put them in the front seat of any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Glad to hear all the good advice from proud papas like myself here. I bought the crewmax for this very reason. Not my favorite color, and I got washed out pretty good on my trade in. But my family's comfort and safety comes first. I know you probably love your truck as much as we all do, but trust me, your world is about to change for the better in ways you never thought imaginable. Do everything in your power to keep that which is most precious to you safe and secure. Get a DC or CM. you won't regret it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: danoh and 2010

·
Registered
877 Posts
Please don't be that guy driving around with a baby in the front seat of a reg cab pick up. You are having a kid. Trade that truck in for a DC or a crew max. Both will fit a rear facing car seat in the back seat and your child will be safe. Which is all that matters.

I had a Tacoma extended cab and I tried to shove car seats in the back of that thing and it didnt work. Traded it in for the Tundra Crewmax.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old and would never put them in the front seat of any vehicle.
No need to be dramatic.

There is nothing wrong with a child seat in the front as long as it is installed properly and the airbag is off.

I drove around with an Ext cab Ford Ranger.... baby in front, wife in side facing back seat for over a year.

I enjoyed being able to converse with my kid while they were up front. I think she enjoyed riding up front as well.

Now that I have a Tundra and two kids, they are in the back seat and don't get much interaction from either my wife or I while on the road.

Even if you have another vehicle, it is worth installing a child seat in your truck. You never know when you may need to transport your kid without your wife. If you need to take the truck as a family, you or your wife can ride in the back. Depending on your state you may need to add a seat in the bed.

Let this also be a lesson.... always get bench seats. Even if you upgrade, to a DBL or CM, get a bench seat up front. Trust me, you will enjoy having that extra seat up front if you end up with two child seats in the back.

Seems like you should be able to swap the buckets out for a bench. Keep an eye out for wrecked Tundras on CL, I know there is one in the DFW area.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
97 Posts
No need to be dramatic.

There is nothing wrong with a child seat in the front as long as it is installed properly and the airbag is off.

I drove around with an Ext cab Ford Ranger.... baby in front, wife in side facing back seat for over a year.

I enjoyed being able to converse with my kid while they were up front. I think she enjoyed riding up front as well.

Now that I have a Tundra and two kids, they are in the back seat and don't get much interaction from either my wife or I while on the road.

Even if you have another vehicle, it is worth installing a child seat in your truck. You never know when you may need to transport your kid without your wife. If you need to take the truck as a family, you or your wife can ride in the back. Depending on your state you may need to add a seat in the bed.

Let this also be a lesson.... always get bench seats. Even if you upgrade, to a DBL or CM, get a bench seat up front. Trust me, you will enjoy having that extra seat up front if you end up with two child seats in the back.

Seems like you should be able to swap the buckets out for a bench. Keep an eye out for wrecked Tundras on CL, I know there is one in the DFW area.
I don't really think anybody is being dramatic here. The backseat is the safest spot for a car seat. I have two kiddos in the back and we still converse all the time. You say that neither you or your wife hardly interact with them while they are in the back but the Tundra has plenty of space inbetween both car seats to comfortably sit in-between them if one of you wanted to jump back there.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I don't really think anybody is being dramatic here. The backseat is the safest spot for a car seat. I have two kiddos in the back and we still converse all the time. You say that neither you or your wife hardly interact with them while they are in the back but the Tundra has plenty of space inbetween both car seats to comfortably sit in-between them if one of you wanted to jump back there.
Agreed. My wife loves to sit in between my two and one is in a booster (son, 5) and the other in a carseat (girl, 1). I'm constantly interacting with my kids back there too. Not saying you CAN'T put a child in a single cab. But let's be honest. If you can afford a 2011 tundra 4x4 you are probably not having to "make do" by adding a seat in the bed of a $25-30K truck.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Do you think a kid is safer in the back seat of a Geo Metro or front seat of a Tundra?

Parents have to work with what they have. You cant tell the person with a Geo Metro that they should upgrade to a Tundra if they care for their children's safety. Same with the Tundra owner, do they need to upgrade to a 1 Ton?

Making wise financial decisions is probably one of the best things parents can do for their kids. Running out and buying a vehicle could place a lot of financial stress on a marriage which often leads to divorce. Divorce is known to have pretty negative affect on kids....

So you turn around and interact with your kid while driving? Sounds much safer than reaching over to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you think a kid is safer in the back seat of a Geo Metro or front seat of a Tundra?
Apples and Oranges

Same with the Tundra owner, do they need to upgrade to a 1 Ton?
No, just a bigger cabin

So you turn around and interact with your kid while driving? Sounds much safer than reaching over to the passenger seat.
No, I sit there while I'm driving and have conversations.. What more interaction do you need while driving? How much safer is it with your kiddo in-between you in the front seat? If anything, it would be more distracting because they're RIGHT THERE...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I angle my rear view mirror where I can watch my kids and they can see me. And like I said before about the tundra owner. I understand he has just financed his tundra. But he just financed a TUNDRA! I agree its important to plan financially for your kids future. Both mine have more in their savings account we started for them than I have in my own. I'm just saying the safest place for them is in the backseat, if you can afford one. And in this case...seems possible.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Looks like you can get a bench for a RCSB by looking at the Toyota website. So all you need to do is scour the wrecking yards, OR, post a craigslist ad for a possible swap. I had a RC truck and I hated the bench, so I swapped for buckets.

That rear facing child seat with your wife in the truck will be cozy for sure. Don't get too cozy though. They you WILL need a DC as two child seats will not fit up front! :D

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
This is actually 100% false. The reason is just simple physics. Modern vehicles are designed so that the frame crumples during serious collisions. 72% of all collisions are frontal or frontal offset crashes and the amount of trauma and force sustained in the front seat of a truck is much greater than that in the rear seats of a truck because of the crumple zones. The front seat area will absorb a greater portion of the impact than the rear seat zone because there are crumple zones between the front and rear sections of the truck which work to further absorb impact.

While I agree that the OP may not have the option of getting a larger truck, with a back seat, I also agree with those who have stated that the child should only ride in the other vehicle that does have a back seat.

·
Registered
877 Posts
This is actually 100% false. The reason is just simple physics. Modern vehicles are designed so that the frame crumples during serious collisions. 72% of all collisions are frontal or frontal offset crashes and the amount of trauma and force sustained in the front seat of a truck is much greater than that in the rear seats of a truck because of the crumple zones. The front seat area will absorb a greater portion of the impact than the rear seat zone because there are crumple zones between the front and rear sections of the truck which work to further absorb impact.

While I agree that the OP may not have the option of getting a larger truck, with a back seat, I also agree with those who have stated that the child should only ride in the other vehicle that does have a back seat.
Sure, when given the option the back seat may be a better choice but the front seat is fine in a single cab. I was pointing out that you are not a "bad parent" if you put your kid in a front seat when there is no other option.

Unless the OP really wants another truck, a bench swap in the single cab is a perfectly responsible solution to his problem. Until he finds one, a properly installed seat in the passenger bucket is fine for when it is just one parent and the child.

There is always a "safer way to do something. The OP could just leave his kid at home with a nanny...

I get a kick out of people who worry about so much about the less important choices they make for their children then don't worry at all about the big ones.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I think some states do not allow young children in front seats. In PA, I believe the age is 8. But this is minimum requirement (they also specify the weight, height, etc.) The PA state police recommends 12, I believe, for front seats.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Most states have an exemption if the vehicle does not have a rear seat.

Reactions: danoh
1 - 18 of 18 Posts