Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a toolbox for the bed of my '12 Double cab. Any suggestions on good brands? I was thinking of getting the Dee Zee brand because of all the good online reviews. I really don't have tools to store inside of it, just chains and rope for when I go trail riding.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looking into the same. Swung by my local Home Depot and they had a low profile black box for $280. Probably going back to pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
i liked the northern box because you can lock/unlock it from either side, plus you can unlock it, open the top then lock the handle back and close the lid, so you dont have to leave the key in it or worry about forgetting to lock it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input! The tool box that dpoll9955 linked to will probably be the one I get, it looks great

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for all the input! The tool box that dpoll9955 linked to will probably be the one I get, it looks great

I’ve been looking for a while for a secure toolbox for my CM, and I think I’ve finally found one which meets my needs. Sharing here, as others may be having the same troubles I’ve had finding one that works. I needed one that:

- Sets on the bed and does not extend higher than, or rest on, the bed rails, allowing use of a tonneau cover or canopy.
- Has some space underneath the box to allow access to the full length of the bed for hauling of longer stuff.
- Secure, ability to be padlocked, metal.
- Not over 16” deep. I presently have two toolboxes from past trucks (one lays on bed rails, one sets in the bed), but both are so deep they take nearly half the the bed space.

I found a job box made by Trinity. It’s imported, and of 16 gauge steel, but it looks to be of good enough quality to use as a tool box in the back of my Tundra. They can be bought at Home Depot for $156. I looked at serious job boxes (Knaack, Greenlee, etc), but the prices were way to high for the intended use. This one is not as robust, but appears to be sufficient.

I get this on Monday, and will post feedback after I have a chance to put it through its paces.

Exterior dimensions: 36”W x 18.5”H x 15.75”D
Interior dimensions: 32.5”W x 12”H x 15.5”D
Weight: 68 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
I’ve been looking for a while for a secure toolbox for my CM, and I think I’ve finally found one which meets my needs. Sharing here, as others may be having the same troubles I’ve had finding one that works. I needed one that:

- Sets on the bed and does not extend higher than, or rest on, the bed rails, allowing use of a tonneau cover or canopy.
- Has some space underneath the box to allow access to the full length of the bed for hauling of longer stuff.
- Secure, ability to be padlocked, metal.
- Not over 16” deep. I presently have two toolboxes from past trucks (one lays on bed rails, one sets in the bed), but both are so deep they take nearly half the the bed space.

I found a job box made by Trinity. It’s imported, and of 16 gauge steel, but it looks to be of good enough quality to use as a tool box in the back of my Tundra. They can be bought at Home Depot for $156. I looked at serious job boxes (Knaack, Greenlee, etc), but the prices were way to high for the intended use. This one is not as robust, but appears to be sufficient.

I get this on Monday, and will post feedback after I have a chance to put it through its paces.

Exterior dimensions: 36”W x 18.5”H x 15.75”D
Interior dimensions: 32.5”W x 12”H x 15.5”D
Weight: 68 lbs.

How is it secured to the bed?

·
Registered
111 Posts
How is it secured to the bed?

Same way as other bed mounted toolboxes would be, bolted. The mounting points are visible in the picture, and you can use carriage bolts, or tamper-proof bolts. I presently have a hard roll-up tonneau, and plan on getting a canopy. If that is considered secure enough for theft (personal choice), then the box can be anchored back to the box at the tie-downs. With a rubber mat, and box weight, it won’t slide around. The anchoring back to the tie-downs would help keep it from moving during panic maneuvers.

I haven’t decided yet which method I’ll use. I’d have to be pretty sure about the installation before I drilled into the bed. No matter which method, the box will be underneath another enclosure which is locked.

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
ok, i kind of figured it was just bolted down to the bed floor. i'm thinking of doing a box also, but not for tools, but rather for my 2nd battery, arb twin compressor and spod. but since my truck will be used off road i'm wondering if 4 bolts to the floor are enough or do i also need to tie into the back wall of the bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.