Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed a little rust on the inside bottom edge of my tailgate, after searching older post I found this to be a problem with 07 and 08s. I read some people had got it covered under the perforation warranty. I went out to my truck to get the paper work for the original in service date as I am the 2nd owner. The in service date was 12/07, which means I'm about 5 months to late. Here is where things got real bad I took the Toyota drop in plastic liner out and noticed 3 fist sized rust spots on the bed floor. 2 were up in the front corners and 1 behind the drivers rear wheel well. I started to grind the spots so I could get rid of the rust and repaint. As I was grinding the spots they just kept on getting bigger and deeper with no clean metal in sight. What started out as 3 spots of what looked like bubbling surface rust has now turned into 3 big open spots. I stopped because it was getting to dark out, now I don't know what to do I think if I keep on grinding I will be through the bed floor before the rust is gone. My ? is does anybody think Toyota will do anything about this especially now that I have messed with it. If Toyota won't do anything about what should I do? Sorry for being so long winded just a little pissed, I have tried so hard to take good care of this truck. If it helps I bought the truck certified 1/11. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
take it in and ask. All they can say is no. That is why I got sprayin bedliner. Those plastic things suck. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke with the dealership 1st thing this morning they said " to bring it over so they could take pics and submit to Toyota." At least the ball is rolling, now its just wait and see

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found out 3 things today: 1, luckily my truck is on the TSB for this problem so that will hopefully help my cause. 2, after taking a closer look at the rust spots they seem to be coming from the bottom up. 3, I don't think a spray in liner would have helped at all in this situation, it actually would have made it harder to see the rust coming through.

Reactions: Cruzrtwdgt

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Curious to know how they are handling the warranty side of this. Don't they offer factory warranty on rust for a Certified vehicle, or is it still based on the in-service date?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still based on in service date. Waiting to hear back from regional Toyota about what they are going to do, if anything

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out today they are going to replace the bed free of charge. $8000 in parts and labor. My faith in Toyota has been restored. I would like to see any of the big 3 do this for their customers:)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truck is going in today for the new bed and also found out a new tailgate. Can't wait to see it when it is done.

Reactions: SoFla

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Awesome...Good to see them stand behind it.

Reactions: 4fiftyx

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Glad they chose to fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Found out today they are going to replace the bed free of charge. $8000 in parts and labor. My faith in Toyota has been restored. I would like to see any of the big 3 do this for their customers:)

That's pretty awesome. I agree that the Big3 probably wouldn't have done this. Ford's excuse probably would've been, "we spent all of our money on our TV commercials w/Dennis Leary."

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my truck back from the body shop, looks great. Had them spray on a heavy coat of noxudol to the entire bottom of the bed. Have to wait 60 days for the paint to harden, then going to do a diy spray in liner either from u pol or sems. Also my depo bhlm showed up while the truck was in the shop, put them in today.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got my truck back from the body shop, looks great. Had them spray on a heavy coat of noxudol to the entire bottom of the bed. Have to wait 60 days for the paint to harden, then going to do a diy spray in liner either from u pol or sems. Also my depo bhlm showed up while the truck was in the shop, put them in today.
Looks great! Be sure to get some spray-in bed liner in there after it hardens. Glad to see a company stand behind their product.

Kudos to Toyota,
Craig

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is the kind of information that will sell people on Toyota!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts