Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the bed rail bike rack? If so, how do you like it and can you post pics? If you have another setup for a bicycle in the bed please post up so I can see other options. I'm not really interested in hitch setups though. If you have an expensive bike and get rear ended you can go ahead and kiss it goodbye.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone have the bed rail bike rack? If so, how do you like it and can you post pics? If you have another setup for a bicycle in the bed please post up so I can see other options. I'm not really interested in hitch setups though. If you have an expensive bike and get rear ended you can go ahead and kiss it goodbye.

Thanks.
I use a motorcycle Canyon Dancer and a couple of straps. Or you could use a couple of soft ties and the straps.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a motorcycle Canyon Dancer and a couple of straps. Or you could use a couple of soft ties and the straps.
Looking for bicycle ideas. If I get a new truck I will have to wait a year or two for a bike with a motor. ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
No bed rail here but i made my own. Used a piece of channel iron and mounted a fork mount to it, then secured it to the bed using the bed rail holes. Sprayed some bed liner to finish it up. Holes are spaced perfect to fit two bikes up front. You could even put them on the side if you want. I'm with you, after a couple thousand on the bike, i don't want it to be the first thing hit in the back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

Reactions: RIjon

·
Registered
164 Posts

Thanks.
I have the Toyota/Yakima rail bike rack system. It works great with our mountain bikes. Just take the front wheels off, mount the bikes and they're totally stable. I remove the bed extender in the photo because it's not necessary since the bikes fit with the tailgate closed. I think I got them on sale for $80 each (local Toyota dealership was having a July special on parts) but they can be found for ~$90 with not much effort. The locks work well and installation was simple.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Muzik: Not sure I am looking for a permanent mount in the bed but I like the idea of the mount being on the floor instead of the rail. It would keep the bike out of the wind (and keep from getting splattered with bugs) when I was driving.

Coach: That is basically the system that Toyota sells too. It is what I was originally thinking. Do you have any issues with it? I ride a road bike so my bars are low, maybe the seat would stick up high.

Just have to make sure not to drive into the garage with the bike mounted....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Coach: That is basically the system that Toyota sells too. It is what I was originally thinking. Do you have any issues with it? I ride a road bike so my bars are low, maybe the seat would stick up high.

Just have to make sure not to drive into the garage with the bike mounted....
"Yakima" = "Toyota" rail bike rack system. Funny you mention the garage. My wife stood and watched the clearance with the bikes mounted in the racks. It was really close....and we have 26" GT mtn bikes.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of bikes, has anyone tried putting theirs in their cab with the back seats folded up (Double Cab)? Sometimes I leave work and go right to a ride and it would be great to be able to have my bike inside.

I like that Toyota uses some brand name items and sells as their accessories. Yakima bike racks, Bilstein shocks, I was told that the XSP-S fender flares were most likely Bushwacher too (not an expert but a Toyota employee).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Get a Thule instagator. No taking wheels off easy as hell to use and it has a capabilities to lock. I work at a bike shop and that's wat I use

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

·
Registered
64 Posts
No bed rail here but i made my own. Used a piece of channel iron and mounted a fork mount to it, then secured it to the bed using the bed rail holes. Sprayed some bed liner to finish it up. Holes are spaced perfect to fit two bikes up front. You could even put them on the side if you want. I'm with you, after a couple thousand on the bike, i don't want it to be the first thing hit in the back.

What keeps the rear wheel stable?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the time the rear wheel isn't going anywhere unless you are driving crazy.

As for the Instagater, what does it mount to in the bed of the truck. The pictures on REI and Amazon suck. It's a bit cost prohibitive too. $95 or less for the Yakima Rail one (I am getting the rails no matter what) or $159 for the Thule one. Any justification for the extra expense other than not having to take the wheel off?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make your own Bike Rack

make one, i made it using those plans for my tacoma about 3.5 years ago, cost about $20 in parts and works well. now i use it in my tundra, it is a little narrow, you could make it wider if you wanted to and make four slots. the bikes can fit either front wheel or rear wheel in. i have a 6.5 bed with a tool box, so i either leave the tailgate down and run a strap over them, or i put the gate up if there is stuff in the bed other than the bikes and the tires rest right on top of the tailgate. (slightly less stable likes this) if you dont have a toolbox then you will be able to close the tailgate no problem on a 6.5 bed (not sure about crewmax)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Redirect Notice
(its a link to tacomaworld)

here are some old pics from my tacoma, i ran it backwards only because the tacoma didnt have the d-ring tie downs in the front of the bed like it did in the back. shortly after i put d-rings in the front of the bed to tie it down. its easier in the front of the truck because you can drop the tailgate and just roll them in

·
Registered
423 Posts
Muzik: Not sure I am looking for a permanent mount in the bed but I like the idea of the mount being on the floor instead of the rail. It would keep the bike out of the wind (and keep from getting splattered with bugs) when I was driving.

Not sure how permanent two screws are, but i can remove it in about a minute. Mine are on the bed rail, but you could mount it to anything that say on the bottom of the bed if needed. My whole thing was to not spend $100 for a rail system, achieved that.

What keeps the rear wheel stable?
I use a bungy tie to the back tie down ring, very simple and it works

Reactions: lucky53s

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Less expensive is always nice....

Reactions: muzik

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the Toyota/Yakima rail bike rack system. It works great with our mountain bikes. Just take the front wheels off, mount the bikes and they're totally stable. I remove the bed extender in the photo because it's not necessary since the bikes fit with the tailgate closed. I think I got them on sale for $80 each (local Toyota dealership was having a July special on parts) but they can be found for ~$90 with not much effort. The locks work well and installation was simple.

That's a nice setup, but too pricey for me. I'll post a pic of my ultra low budget, but functional setup.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most of the time the rear wheel isn't going anywhere unless you are driving crazy.

As for the Instagater, what does it mount to in the bed of the truck. The pictures on REI and Amazon suck. It's a bit cost prohibitive too. $95 or less for the Yakima Rail one (I am getting the rails no matter what) or $159 for the Thule one. Any justification for the extra expense other than not having to take the wheel off?
Tail gate is what holds it in place. Makes it stupid easy to put the bike in and pull it out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a rocky mounts rail rack, good for transporting 1 bike but a hitch mount is much easier to use

1 - 20 of 29 Posts