Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I also posted this in the parts and accessories section, but perhaps more traffic here may be able to answer the question:

I recently purchased a 2013 Tundra and I would like to add the bed extender. However the new bed extender is more of a "V" shape and I would prefer the old "U" shaped one. The part number I have for the older style is PT392-34000. All of the documentation I can find lists the old part number through 2011 and the new for 2012 and up. I do not know if there is a physical difference in the truck bed and I was wondering if anyone has actually installed the old unit on a 2013 truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd recommend a Ready Ramp bed extender. They're designed to load motorcycles into the trucks, but the real reason I'd recommend them is that they fold flat. It makes it more versatile and easier to store when not in use. Plus, you'll have a better resale, since it won't be vehicle specific.

Ready Ramp Bed Extender

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Reply Asian Dave, but I would ride my motorcycle and not haul it. I would prefer the OEM bed extender as it is a no drill option as well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I'd recommend a Ready Ramp bed extender. They're designed to load motorcycles into the trucks, but the real reason I'd recommend them is that they fold flat. It makes it more versatile and easier to store when not in use. Plus, you'll have a better resale, since it won't be vehicle specific.

Ready Ramp Bed Extender

I want one of these also. Seems way sturdier than the mainstream ones.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I also posted this in the parts and accessories section, but perhaps more traffic here may be able to answer the question:

I recently purchased a 2013 Tundra and I would like to add the bed extender. However the new bed extender is more of a "V" shape and I would prefer the old "U" shaped one. The part number I have for the older style is PT392-34000. All of the documentation I can find lists the old part number through 2011 and the new for 2012 and up. I do not know if there is a physical difference in the truck bed and I was wondering if anyone has actually installed the old unit on a 2013 truck.

Thanks
I installed a PT392-34000 on my 2013 last month it and fits perfectly. I bought it from TRDSparks.com.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts

Thanks
It will fit no prob, but I just did one in my in-laws 2013 rw from amp research n they had 2 different types to choose from. They a v shaped & u shaped

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one on the way but with part number PT329-34073 (says 2007-2011), so hopefully there will not be an issue. I think the difference in part numbers is the finish. I appreciate the responses and once I get mine installed I will follow up in the this thread as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I received my U shaped bed extender part number PT329-34073 today and installed it in my 2013 Tundra CrewMax. I can confirm that this product fits perfectly with zero alterations. Since part number PT392-34000 is the same but a different color it will fit also.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I received my U shaped bed extender part number PT329-34073 today and installed it in my 2013 Tundra CrewMax. I can confirm that this product fits perfectly with zero alterations. Since part number PT392-34000 is the same but a different color it will fit also.
what are the color differences?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm looking to get the U shaped bed extender also. Did you have a drop-in bed liner? If so, was the drilling simple? Did you get it from TRDSparks, AMP Research or somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
No Drilling required the Toyota U shaped extender that Sparks sales is mounted by removing the 2 tiedown hoops in the rear of the bed and installing the extender mounting brackets with the previously removed tie down hoops into the same holes with new bolts provided. At least that's how mine mounted. I have the Toyota drop in liner which has openings for all 4 stock tie down loops. This is an 07 but should be the same for newer models.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No Drilling required the Toyota U shaped extender that Sparks sales is mounted by removing the 2 tiedown hoops in the rear of the bed and installing the extender mounting brackets with the previously removed tie down hoops into the same holes with new bolts provided. At least that's how mine mounted. I have the Toyota drop in liner which has openings for all 4 stock tie down loops. This is an 07 but should be the same for newer models.
Does yours have the quick latch mounting bracket so you can take it out easily? I contacted Sparks today and they said that Toyota only makes the "V" extenders now but they can still get the old "U" ones. Can't understand why Toyota would "refine" their part with a limiting version.:confused:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Does yours have the quick latch mounting bracket so you can take it out easily? I contacted Sparks today and they said that Toyota only makes the "V" extenders now but they can still get the old "U" ones. Can't understand why Toyota would "refine" their part with a limiting version.:confused:
Yes it is quick release. Just lift it to about a 45 degree and it'll pull right out of the mounts. I've had mine for 2 years.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It will fit no prob, but I just did one in my in-laws 2013 rw from amp research n they had 2 different types to choose from. They a v shaped & u shaped

Was drilling required for the 3 hole mounts when you installed the Amp Research U bed extender? I ordered an old Toyota OEM U shaped one (#PT392-34000) from TRDSparks last week (for my '13 CM RW) but they mistakenly sent me an Amp Research HD Max (#74813-01A) The Toyota mounts directly into the two existing vertical bolts for the rear tie down hooks. However, the Amp Research mount require holes for 3 screws aligned in a triangle. I specifically ordered the Toyota because I have a drop in bed liner and wanted to keep things simple. Why does Murphy's Law always seems to rear its ugly head? :confused: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I bought a LB it helps out a lot... But parking sucks...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a 2013 CrewMax and would like to get the same bed extender. The dealership gave me the V type instead of the U type. They claim the U isn't for the CrewMax 5.5' bed. Well I guess you proved them wrong. How much clearance do you have from the wheel well and the bed extender when folded in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered the "old" style bed extender today from Sparks. (Bed rail system and behind seat cargo net too). Best prices I could find!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I also have a 2013 CrewMax and would like to get the same bed extender. The dealership gave me the V type instead of the U type. They claim the U isn't for the CrewMax 5.5' bed. Well I guess you proved them wrong. How much clearance do you have from the wheel well and the bed extender when folded in?
I can tell you that there was plenty of clearance and I had zero issues. I think they simply did an update on the extender because everything matched up perfectly as if it was made for my 2013.

Here are some photos, judge for yourself :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts